Shin splints !! Help!!

Options
Im pretty new to this site as I am to dieting and excercising...I am having lots of problems with shin splints! Its really slowing me down with my excercising and I DO NOT like it...Does anybody know of something I can do for this?!? Any recommendations..please and thank you! I really wanna do more when it comes to excercising but its so painful :sad: Thanks for your input MFP!!!

Replies

• cls0824
    cls0824 Posts: 19
    Options
    I have the same problem. I was recently told to put ice in a baggie and then ace bandage the bag to my shin. I haven't tried it yet but it should help. Also, I think I'm going to get some inserts for my shoes this weekend and see if that helps...I'll be gellin while working out :laugh:
  • Lulu2929
    Lulu2929 Posts: 58
    Options
    Are your shoes old? If you're exercising a lot, you need to replace your shoes as soon as they get flat.
  • LeLuverlyZero
    Options
    A girl in my walking/jogging class has shin splits. My teacher always suggests using a foam roller. Foam rollers are her solutions to working out a lot of aches and pains, haha
  • chelle1a
    chelle1a Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • DTatum
    DTatum Posts: 15
    Options
    I used to get shin splints from band due to the way we were required to walk. A warm bath helps, tylenol/ibprofen, and a little rest. But if you run on pavement, that could be part of the problem as well.
  • squeaktones
    squeaktones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
  • RocheleLynn
    RocheleLynn Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Maybe an Epson Salt bath? They are only like a dollar at most stores and they do wonders for aches and pains....
  • RocheleLynn
    RocheleLynn Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Maybe an Epson Salt bath? They are only like a dollar at most stores and they do wonders for aches and pains....
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    1. ice them every night for 20 mins
    2. sit down on the floor with your legs stretched out in front of you and trace the alphabet with your toes, every day
    3. be mindful of your form when you work out and tie your shoes tight

this all got rid of my shin splints completely - and i even took up sprinting recently but the shin splints haven't come back :)
  • jennro7781
    jennro7781 Posts: 208
    Options
    I have them too and they are awful!!! I"m sorry you have to suffer with them. You can take motrin for the pain and either ace bandage ice bags to your shins for 20minutes (each side) or you can massage your shins for 20 minutes with a dixie cup full of ice. Most important REST, REST, REST!! I know it's not what you want to hear but it will totally make you better faster. Then start excercising slowly. They'll ache for a while but if the pain increases, you should see a doctor because they can cause stress factures. Good luck!
  • ICANDOTHIS76
    Options
    I think I will try all the above!!! I have several different shoes that I have tried...( being that Im a shoe fanatic) including tennis shoes!!! Something has to work or maybe it will just take time to get them stronger! I really hoope so...Thanks for the input!!! :wink: Keep your finger crossed my pals...and your toes!!!
  • taranmisty
    taranmisty Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I was always told that continued stress will continue the splinting. Choose a different type exercise like swimming or rowing or even bicycling or elliptical for a good 4-6 weeks(time needed for fractures to heel) and then reinstitute running. Hope that helps.
  • ssc0303
    ssc0303 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem a couple weeks ago. I started doing "toe taps." I would raise my toes off the floor(keeping my heels on the floor" while sitting in a chair. I would just do this motion over and over. I also "rotate' my ankles before exercise by doing a circular motion with my foot. I make sure I warm up properly before running or doing any intense exercises. I read that stretching your calf muscles out helps. Hope this makes sense and hope it helps. These things have definitely helped me.