How much did drinking water impact your weight loss?

Options

Replies

• MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    I once heard that drinking water- a certain amount ( > or = 8 cups) - helps with fat reduction in and of itself. Has anyone ever heard that?
    This is what im pretty much asking. lol

It doesn't.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    sohmui wrote: »
    I hate to say this, because I am anti-water-drinking - I think the eight glasses a day is rubbish and any liquid, including tea and coffee, would have the same effect - but I did the eight glasses while I was on the weight-loss programme and what it may have done was stop me from feeling hungry when I might otherwise have done so. I didn't enjoy it. I forced it down sometimes and that, too, stopped me from eating. So in that way, yes, it did contribute to my weight loss.

Studies have found no difference between people on a diet drinking more or less water.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    For me... it helps keep weight down after the initial drop when you start reducing calories. Mostly, I find I feel better on days when I have lots of water. I also have to force myself to drink water though, I just don't think to drink anything. Tips I like are carrying around a 3 cup water bottle and making sure to drink 3 through the day (I leave it in my line of sight all day). Or I've heard one idea where you have 8-10 dainty bracelets (or elastics) on one wrist and your goal is to have them all on the other wrist at the end of the day - you get to move one over for every 8 oz cup you drink.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I was wondering how many pounds y'all have lost with just pushing more water into your diet.
    I workout often and I eat healthier but I struggle with drinking water, to be fair I don't ever feel the urge to drink anything. I sip mostly. So yeah, how has drinking more water affected your weight loss and how soon did you notice your bodys reaction to hydrating more?

Drinking water really doesn't have anything to do with weight loss...drinking water, a namely staying hydrated is part of being healthy...not everything is about weight loss...there are a lot of things you should be doing simply to be healthy.

People get so fixated on the scale, they forget that it's really about being healthy, not just losing weight.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Sodium makes me retain water. Two days this week I had over my RDA of sodium. I am drinking more water to flush my system out. I would be fooling myself if I thought that either my gains or my losses this week were related to exclusively to fat.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Probably none, but it's conceivable that it made me feel more full so that I subsequently ate less.

I drink about a gallon and a half a day, plus whatever's in my food.
  • Amerielle
    Amerielle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I don't think it has had any affect for me. When I'm thirsty, I drink. I believe there is much woo in all of this water business. I am open to reading any studies that have been done though.
  • chubbard9
    chubbard9 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say that drinking water helped me lose more weight, but helps me determine if I am actually thirsty or hungry. It has cleared up my occasional acne and it does counteract the bloat I get from a lot of sodium but I don't think its boosted my weight loss. I love my clearer skin, though, and one of my coworkers is always complimenting how much clearer my skin is. I drink anywhere between 12-20 cups a day, but I love drinking water plain. I just can't drink I warm, it's got to be cold!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    not at all.

quitting (full calorie) sodas also didnt have an effect. LOL
  • gothicfires
    gothicfires Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    The main thing water is going to do for you is make your digestive tract a happy camper. Every time I stop staying hydrated I get a reminder of why it's needed when I go to the bathroom. My recommendation would be to drink a lot of fluids and make sure at least one glass a day is water.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Drinking water allows me to train. Training allows me to build muscle and burn fat. Burning fat results in weight loss.

Overall a pretty big impact.
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    As many posts say, water helps them-- and then the reasons (you eat less, confuse thirst for hunger, feel fuller, etc )why it helps. But, I was curious to see if there were any peer studied journals with controlled studies supporting fat loss from water alone. And I did find this one.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18787524

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    ^^^example... Current weight divided by 2 = number of fluid ounces to drink daily. :#

What? Source.

That's ridiculous. That's 71.4 oz. I would be so dehydrated if I only consumed 71.4 oz a day = just over half a gallon. Most days I have 1-1.25 gallons of water.
  • CSARdiver
    Options
    leggup wrote: »
    ^^^example... Current weight divided by 2 = number of fluid ounces to drink daily. :#

What? Source.

That's ridiculous. That's 71.4 oz. I would be so dehydrated if I only consumed 71.4 oz a day = just over half a gallon. Most days I have 1-1.25 gallons of water.

That calculation (SWAG) is at the low end of the adequate intake spectrum assuming low physical activity. The gross calculation for AI is .5oz - 1oz for every lb of body weight - depending on physical activity.
  • Gena_Beana
    Gena_Beana Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I drink water only & it has had a profound effect on my overall health, including weight loss. I think the reason is that I don't drink pop; which used to spin me into mad cravings for anything that had sugar in it (even though the pop was artificially sweetened). I also do not drink any coffee, and rarely drink any tea. When I work out, my muscles react WAYYYYYYY better than they did when i didn't drink as much water. For me, it is a critical point for my journey.
  • JMC3Terp
    JMC3Terp Posts: 2,803 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

What? Source.

That calculation (SWAG) is at the low end of the adequate intake spectrum assuming low physical activity. The gross calculation for AI is .5oz - 1oz for every lb of body weight - depending on physical activity.

All of that is garbage. For a 300 lb individual, you would be saying they should have a minimum of 150 oz. Hypoanatremia can start around then. Depending on your physical activity. 64 oz. minimum to 128 oz. or so.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've been drinking more water while losing weight. I've always drank a lot of water, whether I'm losing, gaining or maintaining.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Drinking water has definitely helped me lose weight, but simply by the fact that I've replaced all liquids (other than my one morning coffee!) with water instead. So no juice, soda, or milk.

I'd rather eat my calories than drink them. :)
  • 1HappyRedhead
    1HappyRedhead Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Is it drinking the water, or all the exercise you get running to pee?? :wink:
  • CSARdiver
    Options
    Hyponatremia is exceptionally rare just from water intake. ....and no. There would have to be some other metabolic disorder from 150oz.
    JMC3Terp wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »

What? Source.

All of that is garbage. For a 300 lb individual, you would be saying they should have a minimum of 150 oz. Hypoanatremia can start around then. Depending on your physical activity. 64 oz. minimum to 128 oz. or so.

As I said - it's a gross calculation. It is exceptionally rare for anyone to get hyponatermia simply from water intake unless there's some metabolic disorder.

Biologics like steady state - extreme conditions cause disorders such as hyponatremia which is why it is seen in marathon runners and extreme endurance athletes or people going from states of dehydration to overhydration.

Bottom line - follow your thirst.