How can I build up my running?

Options
Hi! Can anyone tell me how I can build up my running? I run really slow, and can't run very far before running out of breath. I need to be able to run 2 miles for the National guard.. In at least 9 minutes, although I'd prefer 8. Thanks so much for any and all advice!

Replies

• twinsbabyweight
    twinsbabyweight Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Start slow. There's an app called Couch to 5k. I couldn't run 30 seconds straight before I started it. It really got me to where I could run a 5k. It's good stuff. Once you are able to run that far you can work on speed.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Start slow. There's an app called Couch to 5k. I couldn't run 30 seconds straight before I started it. It really got me to where I could run a 5k. It's good stuff. Once you are able to run that far you can work on speed.

^^^ This.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Couch to 5k (C5K) is an excellent resource especially for beginners.

Here's a link to the Navy Special Warfare Physical Training Guide:
    http://www.sealswcc.com/PDF/naval-special-warfare-physical-training-guide.pdf

An excellent reference that focuses on building candidates to peak performance, but applicable to all starting points.

Edit: Practice your breathing when resting to build up your lung capacity - "box breathe" when you're just sitting around - 4 count in through your nose, 4 count hold, 4 count out through your mouth, 4 count hold - repeat.
  • fbinsc
    fbinsc Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    When building endurance I've found long runs really make a difference. The trick is to run at a pace where you would have no problem speaking to someone. If you breathe harder slow down even if you feel like you are walking. Run on flat or slightly downhill courses if you need to. This is about triggering your body to adapt. Packed gravel or dirt can help absorb the impact. One long session is much better than a handful of short sessions.

When I was starting out I remember a sub 3:30 marathoner telling me that when she started she was out of breath on two mile runs. Everyone starts there. The more you run and the longer the runs the easier it will become. Her admission helped me get through the first couple of weeks, and truthfully the first couple of weeks are the hardest. Stick with it, be consistent in your training and it will get easier. Speed will improve with endurance.

I recommend cross training on days you can't run, and not taking more than two sequential days off between runs. Eating healthy makes it easier...if you don't already think about starting.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I need to be able to run 2 miles for the National guard.. In at least 9 minutes, although I'd prefer 8.

I'm presuming here you mean being able to run 8-9 minutes per mile rather than run the entire two miles in that time (which would be nearing a world record pace...)

Something like C25k as mentioned before might be a good idea to build you up to being able to run 3 miles comfortably (and therefore 2 miles quickly.) When you complete it run a timed 5k. If you can already run it in somewhere between 26 - 30 minutes you should be able to run the 2 miles at your desired pace. If not use a plan targeted at running a sub 30 minute 5k or sub 25 minute 5k depending on your level.

• FaceTheFears
    FaceTheFears Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Msf74... Haha, sorry... Yes, I meant 8-9 minutes per mile!
  • FaceTheFears
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who replied!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    do a C25k program or something...
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Msf74... Haha, sorry... Yes, I meant 8-9 minutes per mile!

Lol- yeah, I guess you weren't really looking for advice on how to outrun Wile E Coyote...

Good luck ;)
  • FaceTheFears
    Options
    Lol, yeah, not today.. That's tomorrow! Kidding, Haha. Thanks!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    C25K and similar programs are built on the same concept ... start slow, progressively build, get to where one can run a set distance. 9 minute miles for two miles will get you through the APFT with some wiggle room, but getting through basic will require running more than two miles at a time. Take your time, get into shape, then look at enlisting.
  • FaceTheFears
    Options
    Thanks for the advice brianpperkins.. Let me just say I read your profile, and oh my aren't you a ray of sunshine. Haha. I'm dying from laughter.
  • Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I started my "exercise journey" with C25K. I can't recommend it enough! great program. Really works. I went from not able to run 30 seconds, to running 30 minutes straight.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    Thanks for the advice brianpperkins.. Let me just say I read your profile, and oh my aren't you a ray of sunshine. Haha. I'm dying from laughter.

The funny thing is people still send requests.

I've only done this Army thing for the past quarter century. Body fat percentage matters ... the ability to pass the APFT matters. It takes commitment and discipline to stay within standards.
  • FaceTheFears
    Options
    I understand that. And they seriously still send requests? I swear.. I mean, really, what ignorance does it take? They probably just do it because you said not to.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    Succeeding at basic and beyond isn't just about running two miles. Get to where you can handle 4+ miles at a sub nine minute average pace ... where you can handle hills in your running (every basic training site has them) ... pushups ... situps ... rucking with 35+ pounds. It isn't about being the most fit person at basic but get into good enough shape that you don't have to worry about height/weight or a fitness test during training ... then maintain at that level throughout your time in service. The Army is cutting people across the active and reserve components ... those busting tape and failing the APFT are the easy ones to eliminate ... don't be one of them.
  • FaceTheFears
    Options
    Well, thanks for the advice. And I assure you, I won't.