Exercising with plantar fasciitis.

Options
2»

Replies

• cousindon
    cousindon Posts: 5 Member
    Options

I have tendonitis issues regularly (had to quit playing racquetball, ended up with a heel spur, don't dare use a hammer...) I joke that I chose the wrong grandparent. However, it's really not a laughing matter it's painful and very lifestyle limiting.

I agree with checking with a podiatrist. Also I try to stretch, especially in the evening before bed.

There are splits that you can put on your foot to keep the plantar fascia stretched during the night -- I could never get used to them. They help with keeping the tendon from contracting at night and eliminate that 'walking on broken glass feeling you get 1st thing in the morning.

Not that I'm a physician, but I've had good results with religiously dosing myself with ibuprofen. Every 4 hours except when I'm sleeping.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,324 Member
    Options
    i just replaced my new balance sneakers with sauconey and in one days its gone.
  • BarbaraR5563
    BarbaraR5563 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have a pretty active job at a hospital. I'm pretty much constantly on my feet from 8 til 5 with time out for lunch, but I'm crippled with plantar fasciitis to the point where I'm losing the will to exercise after work. Does anyone else suffer with this? I had a cortisone injection at the start of the year, and contemplating another just to ease the pain. :/

I suffer and I mean suffer from Morton's Neuroma. It is between the third and fourth toes. The nerves are sensitive and become super inflamed. I have seen a podiatrist. He has given me cortisone shots and they do nothing. The other option was surgery but he said that wouldn't really cure the pain.

Even after the weigh loss, I still suffer no after pushing myself to exercise. I do have some relief with wearing nice running shoes and switching between about 5 pairs. I have a pair of addias, nike, hoka, new balance. This gives me some relief. It is pricey but it allows me to get my workout in. I'd get good orthodics and some good running shoes fitted with your orthodics at a running store. Take breaks instead of pounding through a workout. It helps too. Much luck. And for all of you that suffer, I'm so sorry. People have NO idea the pain we go through!
  • jamieb55
    jamieb55 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Freeze a plastic water bottle, use to roll/ice your foot and stretch!!!! I can't tell you how much stretching helped me, not just your foot but your calf too (downward dog works amazing)!!!!
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »

LOVE Saucony, too. Wasn't enough for me. I'm an underpronator, though. Which is extremely rare.

Freaking New Balance gave me Morton's neuroma, if you can believe that. Isn't that ridiculous? In BOTH FEET!!!! Years out of NB fixed it.
  • BarbaraR5563
    Options

LOVE Saucony, too. Wasn't enough for me. I'm an underpronator, though. Which is extremely rare.

Great choice too!
  • WhaleToWench
    WhaleToWench Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've tried multiple tablets, but they don't seem to do anything. I'm on the strongest codeine the doctors can give me, and apart from a slightly spaced out feeling, they don't ease the pain, I just care less.
  • BarbaraR5563
    Options

You're the second person to just say this. I will be checking out Saucony's!
  • WhaleToWench
    Options

You're the second person to just say this. I will be checking out Saucony's!

Me too! Gonna pop and see the podiatrist at the hospital tomorrow and see if they can accept self referrals like the physio's can. I won't hold my breath, but it would be lovely if they could!
  • MamaBirdBoss
    Options
    I have a pretty active job at a hospital. I'm pretty much constantly on my feet from 8 til 5 with time out for lunch, but I'm crippled with plantar fasciitis to the point where I'm losing the will to exercise after work. Does anyone else suffer with this? I had a cortisone injection at the start of the year, and contemplating another just to ease the pain. :/

I suffer and I mean suffer from Morton's Neuroma. It is between the third and fourth toes. The nerves are sensitive and become super inflamed. I have seen a podiatrist. He has given me cortisone shots and they do nothing. The other option was surgery but he said that wouldn't really cure the pain.

Even after the weigh loss, I still suffer no after pushing myself to exercise. I do have some relief with wearing nice running shoes and switching between about 5 pairs. I have a pair of addias, nike, hoka, new balance. This gives me some relief. It is pricey but it allows me to get my workout in. I'd get good orthodics and some good running shoes fitted with your orthodics at a running store. Take breaks instead of pounding through a workout. It helps too. Much luck. And for all of you that suffer, I'm so sorry. People have NO idea the pain we go through!

HAHA! We were posting at the same time!

1.) It might be from the particular shoes that you wear a lot.
    2.) You can also try a regular orthotic but cut out a little dip for the ball of your foot there.
    3.) New Balance is the devil. But that may just be my feet.
    4.) The surgery DOES eliminate the pain permanently if it's done right. My father had it after he developed a severe case. (Apparently, we're prone to it because of foot anatomy.) He's permanently lost sensation to the insides of those toes, but he has no pain at all there.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    Options
    I've tried multiple tablets, but they don't seem to do anything. I'm on the strongest codeine the doctors can give me, and apart from a slightly spaced out feeling, they don't ease the pain, I just care less.

LOL! Yep, that's totally codeine! HATE that stuff! Oxycontin or hydrocodone actually relieves pain, and if I match the dose to my pain levels, I don't get spacey/tired/yucky feeling at all. I start with half a hydrocodone if the naproxen or ibuprofen won't touch it. If that doesn't work, a whole one when it wears off, etc. Pain titration--so much fun! These days, I don't have to open the oxy, though. I've only taken half a hydrocodone in the last MONTH, which is pretty awesome. I used to go through 2-3 oxycontin a month.
  • G8rRay
    G8rRay Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    This following link has some darn good information about plantar fasciitis, its treatment, and home therapy. Seems pretty informative.

http://www.northcoastfootcare.com/pages/Heel-Pain-and-Plantar-Fasciitis.html

Hope you have a most speedy recovery, OP!!! :)
  • cousindon
    cousindon Posts: 5 Member
    Options

When I developed a heel spur (as a result of PF), I ended up with a sports medicine physician. He actually paid attention to what was going on. Barring that or maybe instead a podiatrist is likely to be more sympathetic to the issue and the run-of-the-mill GP.

The problem with codeine is that it's masking the pain, not dealing with the inflammation.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I'm an underpronator with very high arches so I tend to have plantar issues as well as issues with my posterior tibial tendon. Getting some orthotics is going to be crucial and has alleviated most of my pain...I get flair ups every now and then, but they are much more a rarity these days.

Also make sure you're running in proper running shoes that have been fitted for you and your gait.

Given the issues I was having, I very rarely run these days and spend most of my time on my bike.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I'm an underpronator with very high arches so I tend to have plantar issues as well as issues with my posterior tibial tendon. Getting some orthotics is going to be crucial and has alleviated most of my pain...I get flair ups every now and then, but they are much more a rarity these days.

Also make sure you're running in proper running shoes that have been fitted for you and your gait.

Given the issues I was having, I very rarely run these days and spend most of my time on my bike.

*high five

Underpronators unite!
  • WhaleToWench
    Options
    That is the problem with codeine, but the naproxen hasn't helped either, and I've been on them since January. I tend to avoid taking tablets and just try and deal with the pain as best I can. My OH deserves a gold medal for dealing with me walking around like I'm continuously stood on Lego, haha! I don't want to rely on them forever. If getting some decent orthotics and a splint mean I can avoid being dependent on pain pills, then I'm gonna splash the cash. Really pleased with the responses I've had though. Thank you so much guys, and goodnight. I'm off to sleep! :) xxx