alternate day fasting

Options
Did anyone else watch the program this fasting on BBC2 tonight? I have to say so far I'm sold. The way the guy was able to fast for just two days a week and the results he had were pretty impressive. So two days a week eat just 500 calories and the rest of the week eat what you normally would sounds simple.

I'll let you know how I get on :)

Replies

• FitFi74
    FitFi74 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Yeah - I watched it too - really interesting and very well presented! Definately worth considering!
  • Cazzy34
    Cazzy34 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Yip. There is another post on it too!

I am going to try it for 6 weeks and see how it goes.
    x
  • ATOLLIT
    ATOLLIT Posts: 149
    Options
    I didn't see it as sadly my tv has been taken over by Olympic-mad parents, but I'll have a look for it on iplayer tomorrow or something, sounds really interesting!
  • MrJase
    MrJase Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I didn't see it as sadly my tv has been taken over by Olympic-mad parents, but I'll have a look for it on iplayer tomorrow or something, sounds really interesting!

Yeah I would definately recommend it, I'm giving it a go. Hopefully get some good results from it
  • sedatsedat
    Options
    I have tried that myself and it does work, but you have to be careful of what you eat after your fasting day. Its easy to go nuts and stuff your face because you went hungry for a whole day. The first two weeks I was feeling pretty sh*tty, but the third week i was used to not eating and had no problems(I fasted every other day, meaning i had 3-4 days of fasting a week)-which is pretty extreme, I know. I exercised every day, had no problems with that. Just make sure you drink a lot of water!
  • cereal_eater
    Options
    Did anyone else watch the program this fasting on BBC2 tonight? I have to say so far I'm sold. The way the guy was able to fast for just two days a week and the results he had were pretty impressive. So two days a week eat just 500 calories and the rest of the week eat what you normally would sounds simple.

I'll let you know how I get on :)

If you are thinking of trying this I would recommend reading the two page interview with Michael Mosley in this week's 'RadioTImes' (4-10 August) regarding the programme. He states "Ultimately, ageing is a product of a high metabolic rate, which in turn increases the number or free radicals we consume. If you stress the body out by restricting calories or fasting, this seems to cause it to adapt and slow the metabolism down...Where fasting comes in is that studies suggest it can restrict the growth of IGF-1 in adults - as long as you simultaneously cut the amount of protein you eat." The Government recommended figure of 55g of protein a day is quoted in the article.

While I found the programme fascinating I am not keen on intentionally slowing my metabolism or cutting protein while my goal is weight loss (without the loss of muscle and lean tissue). Once I have reached my target weight I will look into the subject further as the improvements to his health and the reduction in his risk of developing chronic diseases was impressive.
  • cereal_eater
    Options
    Forgot to add - if you google "alternate day fasting"+"University of Illinois" (one of the institutes Michael Mosley visited during the programme) there are several interesting articles detailing their research.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Two days a week at a 75% calorie reduction is equivalent to seven days at 21.5% reduction,

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20921964

"IER is as effective as CER with regard to weight loss, insulin sensitivity and other health biomarkers, and may be offered as an alternative equivalent to CER for weight loss and reducing disease risk."

IER in this case was 650 calories 2 days a week.
  • Slimtara
    Slimtara Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am another person who was charmed by the ADF concept on Horizon last night so after far too long on google afterwards I have a question abou the fasting day "feeding window"

Is it enough just to restrict to 400 cals over the day or should the calories be consumed in one "meal" I read 12 - 2pm was the control used in the Illinois study

I think I can genuinely manage a bowl of cereal and a bowl of soup over several hours, but skipping breakfast and dinner and "feeding" at lunch is more challenging. (Re-reading this I sound like a vampire!)

And for calculating the calorie cut should I base this on my BMR calories? MFP is targeting me with 1200 cals, I am 38, 5ft2" and 9st 10ish...no heart disease, diabetes, or have blood pressure, thyroid or gyno issues.

Finally - any good books or websites I need to read/visit before I take this on?

STx
  • cazzahi
    cazzahi Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    i was going to try this and start today, i do drink quite of bit of black coffee and can easily do 400 calories every other day, with lots of black coffee a 200 calorie dinner and 200 calorie lunch, is this correct what I'm planning to do?
    does it matter when you take the calories and what they made up of?
  • Coconutfrosting
    Coconutfrosting Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    This is what my plan is too. Does anyone know if it's 'allowed'?

I'd stick to it better if my fasting could be made up of healthy salad/veg lunch with a bit of protein, the odd celery stick or piece of fruit to snack on and very necessary coffee throughout the day!
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    The article from the show.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19112549
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I've dabbled with this before, but was put off by so many people naysaying it and makng me feel like a class A loon for tyring it, now that it's been more vindicated I'm back on it with a 500 calorie fast day today.

Fingers crossed for a happy and healthy future! :)
  • LovePBandJ
    LovePBandJ Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I've been learning a lot about Fasting Training for both weight loss and muscle gain. There seem to be several fasting styles out there. One that I am trying is a 12 - 16 hour fast then exercise regime. Basically, eat nothing after dinner, train in the morning and have a great lunch. That seems to fit my schedule and natural inclinations to a T.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I saw the article about it online but wasn't sure if we could watch it in the states or not. I did like the concept a whole lot from what I read about it though..

Let us know your progress b/c I am really interested in it for sure!! Best of luck to you!! :flowerforyou:
  • trunkfish
    trunkfish Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I saw it and found it really interesting. Like the easier option of 500 calories one day and then what you want the next. Today I've had about 30 calories and still not hungry.

According to the programme, you don't binge on the second day. It's like your bodybrain gets the message that you only need so much.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    You can watch the programme here -
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mgxf

I found it really interesting. Am thinking about trying it out - would be interested to hear how those doing it now/ soon get on.
  • jba09a
    jba09a Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi all, newbie here. I started alternative day fasting about a month ago by accident! I was just too busy one day and forgot about eating. Anyway, I'm 6 feet tall and was around 240 pounds at that time and wasn't dieting or exercising. So I did a little research on calorie restriction and ADF which helped me decide to make this diet a priority. I'm now a little over 30 days in to it and I've lost 47 pounds! Crazy right! And the kicker - I haven't exercised once! So I stumbled upon myfitnesspal for a way to track nutrition cause I've found I do have to make sure I eat certain foods on my alternate days in order to keep my energy and focus up. It's easy to "zone out" and feel droopy if I don't.

I've never dieted before or exercised seriously in my life and now at age 38 I'm thinking I'll give it a go and see what happens. This diet is crazy good and the weight is literally melting off by the day. I've tried researching this online and found little in the way of reputable data from peer reviewed sources. Knowing my luck, this diet is probably totally detrimental to my overall health but the results are so profound I don't want to stop. Does anyone here know of tips or research to view concerning ADF?

Thanks all!
  • alltacht
    alltacht Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I am another person who was charmed by the ADF concept on Horizon last night so after far too long on google afterwards I have a question abou the fasting day "feeding window"

Is it enough just to restrict to 400 cals over the day or should the calories be consumed in one "meal" I read 12 - 2pm was the control used in the Illinois study

I think I can genuinely manage a bowl of cereal and a bowl of soup over several hours, but skipping breakfast and dinner and "feeding" at lunch is more challenging. (Re-reading this I sound like a vampire!)

And for calculating the calorie cut should I base this on my BMR calories? MFP is targeting me with 1200 cals, I am 38, 5ft2" and 9st 10ish...no heart disease, diabetes, or have blood pressure, thyroid or gyno issues.

Finally - any good books or websites I need to read/visit before I take this on?

STx

Just read an interview with Micheal Moseley, he said he generally ate scrambled eggs for breakfast and a light fish and veg meal for dinner so yeah throughout the day was how he did it mainly
  • sedatsedat
    Options
    Its technically not a fast if you eat every day though. Just sayin.