alternate day fasting

Options

Replies

• Bassgirl51
    Options
    Interesting thread. I have not had time to read it all but will.

One thing to remember also is that fasting is nothing new. It is even recommended by Jesus if people want to go there. East Indian's fast all the time for religious and non religious reasons. American Indians also fasted for spiritual purposes. It's nothing new. They all lived long lives. Even the starving yogis live a long time.
  • whairigaila
    Options
    Has anyone kept this up as a realistic lifestyle? x
  • sinkingthinking
    sinkingthinking Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've had fantastic asthma results already. I've described them here:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/health--injury/alternate-day-fasting-for-asthma/231591.html

I'll probably put future updates in that thread, if anyone's interested. :)
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I've had fantastic asthma results already. I've described them here:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/health--injury/alternate-day-fasting-for-asthma/231591.html

I'll probably put future updates in that thread, if anyone's interested. :)
    What a great post, thank you for sharing it.
  • dechainew
    Options
    I watched the BBC program on You Tube and was immediately intrigued. I had just come from the doctors office, where he had reviewed my blood test results, and they exactly matched Dr Moselys. I am a 48 year old male, 6" 4', and weighed in at 232 when the blood was drawn, Had been dieting but had plateaued at 219. I decided to try alternate- day fasting and have been doing it for two weeks. Easier than it sounds. Breakfast on a fast day is usually one cup oatmeal (150 calories ) mixed with one cup of plain yogurt (100 calories), sodium-free broth for lunch (20-30 calories) and soup for dinner (300 calories), plus ginseng or ginger tea throughout the day. My regular day I eat a regular amount of caloriesbut do try to use Fitness Pal to cut down on fat and sodium. Yesterday I weighed in at 211.2, for a 7 pound loss over two weeks. The true test will be on Wednesday, when I get my blood test again. I wil post the results.

One point of caution: watch your liquids! I decided to limit caffeine by substituting coffee with herbal tea. I also stopped drinking any alcohol. I drank 8 cups of water or more each day. I was feeling pretty good on Friday ( a fast day) so had a couple cups of coffee during the day and had a couple glasses of wine with dinner plus a couple of scotches. The next morning I weighed in at 211.2 but felt like crap the rest of the day. Turns out the diuretics in the coffee and the alcohol caused me to be dehydrated. I drank all day and gained back 3 pounds in water weight by this morning. No more alcohol and coffee for me until a finish my initial 5-week run.
  • colleenswe
    Options
    Totally agree! The best way I think is to eat 6 small meals a day and to include protein with each meal and to forget sugar even existed.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Did anyone else watch the program this fasting on BBC2 tonight? I have to say so far I'm sold. The way the guy was able to fast for just two days a week and the results he had were pretty impressive. So two days a week eat just 500 calories and the rest of the week eat what you normally would sounds simple.

I'll let you know how I get on :)

There are many forms of fasting. What is cool is you can tailor it to your own lifestyle. Think of it as simply taking a break from eating. Eat normal, take a break, eat normal. This is NOT about starving and binging, it's about managing your calorie budget in a flexible way and it is sustainable.

I have used various methods over 3 years now, lost weight consistently and kept it off. It is sustainable and it works. I have found I have needed to adjust it according to the various phases of weight loss and maintaining and it's important to know that your body works differently as you get leaner. I'm under 12% body fat now and I truly run the risk of starvation mode (this does not happen when you have significant fat reserves). I find I can't do long fasts anymore without wanting to binge (I am very much against binging and feel it's a sign to listen to your body and adjust what you are doing). I never had binge feelings until I got lean (under 12% body fat) and I'm super careful that this is a sign your body is trying to tell you something. I have never had emotional eating issues and I know that would complicate things further, but I know several people that have overcome their emotional eating issues with a combination of fasting protocol along with understanding it by reading and research.

I personally loved Brad Pilon's Eat Stop Eat for his extensive research and technical and scientific information provided, but there are a lot of free articles out there. Recently someone sent me this which I think is very good information:

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    replying so i can read this later:)
  • pjrbs
    pjrbs Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • dechainew
    Options
    As mentioned in my previous post, I started ADF due to medical issues, but the weight loss was a great side-benefit.

I had my blood tested on August 23, started ADF on October 30, and had a follow-up blood test on November 14. I have so far lost 8 pounds in 3 weeks. This morning I sat down with my doctor to discuss my blood test results. Needless to say, he thought I was on to something and started asking me all sorts of questions.

Blood test results
    A1C: Aug 23 - 6.2 ; Nov 14 - 5.9
    Glucose:Aug 23 - 109 ; Nov 14 - 111
    Chol:Aug 23 - 166 ; Nov 14 - 102
    Triglycerides: Aug 23 -136 ; Nov 14 - 62
    HDL: Aug 23 - 28 ; Nov 14 - 32
    VLDL: Aug 23 -27.2 ; Nov 14 - 12.4
    LDL: Aug 23 - 112 ; Nov 14 - 62

Anyone know of an ADF study I can forward these results to?
  • electraglide1808
    Options
    I started this the morning. I'm planning on fasting on alternate days but on my fast days I will have 2 x complan drinks which basically total 500 calories. On my feed days I will stick to Weightwatchers which I've been doing for the last few months. Anyone have any experience of combining it with a diet?
  • schmoopy666
    Options
    I found this thread after reading the book "1-Day Diet" by Jennifer Jolan. I never would have purchased the book, but I was able to borrow it from my Amazon.com Kindle library for free...if anyone is interested in reading it and has access to the library. Wasn't able to find forums dedicated to this particular diet, but it's basically "alternate day fasting" You have 9 protein waters a day, spaced 1.5 to 2.5 hours apart. I have no idea how many calories this is...she doesn't really talk about calories in the book. This is all you have for the entire day. Some "helpers" she recommends are: having your first 3 protein waters of the day in green tea, adding lemon juice and cinnamon, taking six 500mg capsules of L-Tyrosine with one of your first protein waters of the day (suppose to be a mood-enhancer). These "tips" are suppose to help with the hunger. An odd "tip" she recommends is chewing nicotine gum (1-2 mg) up to twice a day to help with the hunger. These "helpers" are just suggestions and they are all optional. I did my first day yesterday. It was NOT easy, but I was determined! Knowing I could eat the next day kept me going. I woke up this morning 5.5 lbs. down! Now I'm motivated to keep going! I think I'm going to do the fasting on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays...eating sensibly on the other days. So happy to find this forum! Love reading about your successes and suggestions! I will post again after about a week and let you know how it's going!
  • electraglide1808
    Options
    Congratulations on starting. It'll be interesting to see how things go.
  • schmoopy666
    Options
    I'm on my second fasting day...so far so good. Just got back from a 3 mile walk. I sat down and figured out the calories. The book suggests having 7-9 protein waters per day, using 10 grams of protein powder. The powder I'm using is pretty low in calories and high in protein. I figured 10 grams is only about 38 calories. If I have 8 per day...that's only 304 calories. Today actually seems a little easier than Wednesday's fast. I'm trying the nicotine gum. The book says that the small amount of nicotine (2mg) once or twice on the fasting days will not cause addiction. Right now I'm not hungry at all, so maybe it helps to curb the appetite a bit. This evening will be the real test for for me...when my husband is home and eating in front of me. I'm thinking about adding a couple cups of chicken broth a day when I really feel hungry. It would only be 15 calories for a cup and I think it might help any hunger or cravings in the evening. We shall see! I will report any weight loss tomorrow! What I like about the diet is that you can modify it to suit yourself!
  • CINDYRN33
    CINDYRN33 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • schmoopy666
    Options
    A little disappointed. After my 2nd fasting day I didn't lose anything! I guess I shouldn't complain because I lost 5.5 lbs. after my first day! I plan on eating sensibly today and tomorrow and will fast again on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Just wondering...from those of you with experience...is this normal? I guess I expected to lose a little because I've only just started the diet. I didn't cheat except to add a couple cups of chicken broth yesterday. I'm sure my total calorie intake was 400 calories or less.
  • Shakesy90
    Shakesy90 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    So glad to have found this active thread :) I started the diet 3 weeks ago and have only lost 1.5kg. I am a little disappointed as i never ate anything on down days, only drank water...And on up days i rarely went over 2000. Could i be eating too little that i maybe should eat 500 cals on down days?
  • electraglide1808
    Options
    I only started this 3 days ago but I'm using this calculator to work out my calories. Let us know how you get on.
    http://www.johnsonupdaydowndaydiet.com/html/how-to-do-the-diet.html
  • schmoopy666
    Options
    Good Morning All! I just finished going back to the beginning and reading all the posts in this thread....which, I probably should have done even before I posted the first time! :wink: It's so interesting that there are many ways to do this and you can actually tailor it to your own lifestyle and preferences. I have only done two fasting days so far. I started after reading the book "1-Day Diet" by Jennifer Jolan. She has you drink protein water throughout the day and really doesn't even talk about calories. After buddying up with electraglide1, he told me to watch the "Eat, Fast and Live Longer" documentary....which I thought was fascinating! By the way, the YouTube link has been removed. Electraglide provided me with this link: http://www.disclose.tv/action/viewvideo/110651/BBC_Horizon_2012_Eat_Fast_and_Live_Longer/ My plan was to follow Jennifer Jolan's diet and fast Monday, Wednesday and Friday....doing the protein waters. However, I am now thinking about following electraglide's lead and eating one meal a day for those three days a week. My calorie intake will be determined using the calculator on Dr. Johnson's website. I was really missing my morning coffee on those fasting days, so I think I will allow myself coffee in the morning....which Dr. Johnson said is OK. I also plan to drink plenty of water and green tea. I think as long as there are zero calories, it's OK. Jennifer Jolan's book has you drinking protein water throughout the day....which, goes against the documentary's suggestion to limit protein. So maybe doing it this new way will give me more health benefits. I think my one meal on the fasting days will be the evening meal. Kind of sneaky...this way I won't have to tell my husband I'm fasting. He would just lecture me about how it's "not healthy"! LOL! Starting tomorrow! We'll see how it goes! The two days I fasted weren't easy...although I think the second was a bit easier than the first! The main thing I learned is what hunger really feels like. This has helped me on my non-fast days. I now eat to the point of being satisfied and don't overeat. Unless you are "truly" hungry...why eat?
  • schmoopy666
    Options
    Down 8.5 lbs!!!!