Why does strength training seem so boring compared to cardio?

Options

Replies

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I might suggest mixing it up for a while. There are thousands of work-outs on the Internet -- barbell complexes, kettlebell routines, strength training schemes, Crossfit-like circuit routines, etc. Try a different one each time. You might not progress the same way you might if you did a 5X5 program, or some other program, over and over. But that is not to worry. Right now, you are getting yourself in the gym regularly and getting yourself comfortable. You'll find something you like.
    Might I suggest something else too? I too tend to be a cardio person. I find that when I go into the gym I want to race through my sets. That is I do not take enough time in between my reps. I go: 1-2-3-4-etc-etc. Instead of going: 1-two beats-2-two beats-3-two beats-etc. It's what we cardio people do, or at least it is what I do. But, it makes lifting much less comfortable, which makes it much less pleasurable and more difficult, which makes me like it less, which makes me not want to go to the gym.
    So, maybe try going a bit slower on your sets. You might find weights more pleasant. And, you might be less likely to complain...just maybe. It works for me.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Noodle797 wrote: »
    I felt the exact same way, until I started working with a personal trainer. Now I actually have direction & even though it's still not my favorite thing I don't feel like I'd rather have a root canal than lift weights.

You hit the nail on the head, I have no direction. With cardio, I just go. With strength training, I don't know what to do next! I get bored and go back to cardio.

Then find a program and stick with it.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Even though I do lift heavy I still find that it's boring also. That is why I limit my weightlifting to 75 minutes per session and do HIIT, run, skate, and TAE Bo along with weightlifting.
  • Naener
    Naener Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    classes! the 24 hour fitness locations have a great weight training class called Body Pump. its a les mills program, you can find all the workouts on youtube. i love the class settings, it really gets me into it with the music and gets me to challenge myself!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Google nrol or stronglifts
  • melodyis4reals
    melodyis4reals Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Then find a program and stick with it.

This is why I am asking for help, so I can find a program. Lol!
  • melodyis4reals
    melodyis4reals Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I just looked up stronglifts and Melissa Bender. Also thanks tufel, you gave me a lot to look up. As someone who is new to exercising, knowing what routine or program to follow is overwhelming. I need things spelled out and a visual of what I am suppose to do. Comments like that tell me to get heavier weights or stick with a program would be great if I had a set of weights, a gym membership, or knowledge of different programs. When I envision strength training, it's doing bicep curls for ten minutes and then doing some other arm muscle rep for 10 minutes after. Again thanks for ideas, things to look up, and suggestions. I have been on MFP for 3 months now and lost 24 pounds. I am close to my goal weight but want to maintain working out and know that strength training is something that I should incorporate in my weekly routine.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    You have a great attitude, and it is definitely overwhelming when you are beginner! Your description is definitely not normal weight lifting ha ha, but it took me a couple of years to realize that too. I'm sure you'll find something you like, good luck.
  • solarfish
    solarfish Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I started weight training for the first time, 47 years old, about 10 weeks ago. I'm doing stronglifts 5x5, not boring at all, very easy to understand but very challenging now the weights are getting heavier. I can certainly recommend it for beginners.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I just looked up stronglifts and Melissa Bender. Also thanks tufel, you gave me a lot to look up. As someone who is new to exercising, knowing what routine or program to follow is overwhelming. I need things spelled out and a visual of what I am suppose to do. Comments like that tell me to get heavier weights or stick with a program would be great if I had a set of weights, a gym membership, or knowledge of different programs. When I envision strength training, it's doing bicep curls for ten minutes and then doing some other arm muscle rep for 10 minutes after. Again thanks for ideas, things to look up, and suggestions. I have been on MFP for 3 months now and lost 24 pounds. I am close to my goal weight but want to maintain working out and know that strength training is something that I should incorporate in my weekly routine.

First, congrats on the loss! If you're looking for something that properly challenges you at home without weights, try you are your own gym. I might be a powerlifter who prefers her weights heavy, but I do enough body weight rehab/prehab moves to respect it completely.

And yeah, ten minutes of bicep curls? I put my way through my two or three sets a week.
  • GibsonSG_67
    GibsonSG_67 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    There are literally libraries full of routines on the Internet. Bodybuilding.com is a great site. It even helps you pick a program based on your goals. Check it out
  • teanahk
    teanahk Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at some of the bodyweight strength training stuff that gets mentioned in here sometimes? You are your own gym (YAYOG), nerd fitness, and convict conditioning are the ones that usually get mentioned.

You can get in a pretty good strength training workout without any equipment. Well maybe a sturdy door, table, desk and chair. It might be something to start with if you don't have a gym membership or weights yet.

I started the program from the book "Body By You" (by the YAYOG guy) a couple of weeks ago and am quite happy with my progress so far. I've been sore as hell, but not bored yet.

• DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I will do your lifting if you do my cardio. I like lifting, like cardio less.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I like the endorphin rush from cardio, but I also like full body exercises like pushups, pullups, squats and lunges.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I get kinda bored/distracted when weight training compared to when I do cardio. I think thats because when I am doing cardio on my elliptical, theres pretty much no stopping me and I can just zone out. However, when I'm lifting, I often take a few seconds between exercises that sometimes turns into a few minutes from getting distracted lol. But, the benefits of lifting should be enough to keep your mind tuned into lifting!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Please help me like the idea of strength training by giving me suggestions!

Heretic. It's in the rulez that it's cardio you're supposed to hate...

But I know what you mean, I'd rather go for a long run or a cycle than do resistance work. For me resistance work is a means to an end, as it helps my running and cycling performance. Whilst that doesn't alleviate the boredom it provides some purpose for the session.

Personally I found bodyweight work the least dull, so You Are Your Own Gym or Convict Conditioning might help. It gives me the option to run 5K to warm up, to the park or woods, do a bodyweight set, then run home.

Of course it all depends on your objectives.
  • peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Check out New Rules of Lifting - Supercharged. The routines are certainly not boring.
  • donnysoule
    donnysoule Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I treat it like a video game, when I'm lifting, I try to do 3 sets of ten.... When I hit 10 on the 3rd set, I get to "level up" it keeps it interesting and competitive without having a competitor. Also, I recent did a Spartan race. Try one... it'll point out your weaknesses and it's been a great motivation to me to strengthen those areas...
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    This is a first. I don't think OP likes to challenge herself with exercise. I really cannot understand how lifting weights is boring. It's one of if not my favorite activity. I even tailor routines to allow for more lifting days in a week.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Start using challenging weights and you won't be so bored.

LIES.

Totally depends on the person. I get totally bored after 5 reps. Seriously, I'd rather do dishes. Or laundry. I couldn't care less how challenging it is. It just bores me to tears. I wish I liked it, but I just don't.