How in the world do you cook hash browns?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
I've been buying some but I'm awful at cooking them. I use 1 tsp of oil for about 1.5 serving, but they always end up half burned, half undercooked, and not crispy at all. The directions say to 'flip them' after 5-10 minutes on one side but there's no integrity whatsoever so I can't just 'flip them'.

What am I missing?

Replies

• crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I recently tried them in my waffle iron and they turned out better than anything I have ever done in the oven or on the stove.
    The plates are non stick so I didn't have to use any oil.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Make sure the oil is good and hot before you put them in the pan. Mash them down into a "pancake". Depending on size, you may need to break into sections to flip. Once flipped, give em a couple more mashes.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    It's best to soak the potatoes twice in cold water to remove some starch. Shred them into a bowl of cold water and stir until the water is cloudy. Drain, fill again with cold water and repeat. Drain and use paper towels to remove as much water as possible before frying.

This will allow them to get crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside.
  • Francl27
    Options
    It's best to soak the potatoes twice in cold water to remove some starch. Shred them into a bowl of cold water and stir until the water is cloudy. Drain, fill again with cold water and repeat. Drain and use paper towels to remove as much water as possible before frying.

I use the frozen stuff though, so it shouldn't be a problem?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I use the frozen stuff though, so it shouldn't be a problem?

Oh, probably not. Sorry, I've never used frozen.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    IF they're frozen, take them out early and let them defrost a bit.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    IF they're frozen, take them out early and let them defrost a bit.

Yes, then squeeze out the excess water.

• M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I too like Need2Exerc1se "rinse" the shredded potatoes in cold water twice and then dry them by squeezing and paper towel

The way I flip my hash browns is once one side is cooked and brown, I put a large plate over the pan, then quickly flip it so the entire patty ends up the plate, then I slide the hash brown from the plate back into the pan with the uncooked side down.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I use half oil and half butter, they tend not to burn on me so badly and get a better flavor. I too soak them in ice water and dry before introducing into hot oil.
  • Laurend224
    Options
    I used to make them with bacon fat. They were delicious.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I've been buying some but I'm awful at cooking them. I use 1 tsp of oil for about 1.5 serving, but they always end up half burned, half undercooked, and not crispy at all. The directions say to 'flip them' after 5-10 minutes on one side but there's no integrity whatsoever so I can't just 'flip them'.

What am I missing?

I don't cook them because they never turn out right for me either.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I really want some hash browns now, I forsee brinner in my future!
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I would think you'd have to defrost them, and then pat them dry as best you can before cooking. Potatoes retain a lot of water, and the extra moisture will keep them from browning, as it has to evaporate first. When I make them homemade, I have to salt the potatoes, let them drain, and then my recipe calls for a little corn starch to soak up moisture.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Grate a potato or two, squeeze excess water out (really really squeeze) with some cheesecloth, season with a little salt, pepper, cook on a skillet with some butter, flip, finish cooking, finish with some herbs. Ta-da.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Yeah I suck at sucking moisture out so that's why I pretty much never cook anything that requires it... no cheesecloth, plus with pets there's always hair on everything so forget it...
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    I used to make them with bacon fat. They were delicious.

I still do. Still delicious.

• bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    The waffle iron thing is a great idea! Going to try that.
  • Laurend224
    Options
    bbontheb wrote: »
    The waffle iron thing is a great idea! Going to try that.

I made waffle iron latkes a couple weeks back, so good!

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

What am I missing?

Deep fry them, not rocket science
  • svelanthea
    svelanthea Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I cook them in the toaster! lol