Food in flight

Options
So here's the deal y'all: I'm going back home in about 2 weeks. My home is Georgia and my family is from North Carolina, and my mom lives in South Carolina, luckily all those states are right next to each other so it's going to be great to see everyone. My younger twin cousin are graduating high school! Anyways I'm flying from SFO (San Francisco) on a mostly direct flight, there's one little flight from Atlanta to my home time but that's about as direct you can get! I always try to buy a few snacks and things so I can avoid costly air port/line food as much as possible. Plus I'm on food stamps and will be gone from my kitchen for about 2 weeks so I like to make use of them. I need some ideas for healthy snacks I can take along the plane (remember no liquids!), specifically things I can pick up in the store that'll make it through security and the 30 minute BART trip without much damage and things without seeds, y'know like cherries, sunflower seeds, etc. Normally I just bring a cup of Ramen and ask for hot water but I know I can do better than that!

Thanks in advance!
DK

Replies

• hartclimbs
    hartclimbs Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I fly alot and typically keep a couple Fiber One bars (they taste good, are filling, and only 140cal) with me. Definitely less calories than anything else you'd find on the plane. Special K bars are only 80 cal - but they don't fill me up as much as the Fiber Ones.

Can't go wrong with any type of granola bar.....travels easily and no issues with security. Good luck and safe travels! :)
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Tuna packets, dry cereal in a zip-lock, protein bars, nuts, crackers (wheat thins, trisquits, etc), string cheese, turkey jerky...
  • Nomoreplus_sizes
    Nomoreplus_sizes Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I didn't even think about turkey jerky, I'll have to try the fiber one bars. Special K bars I found are way too sweet!
  • Nomoreplus_sizes
    Options
    bumping this in the hopes for more insight
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Sugar free gum? Not really a food but it can distract you from wanting food. Also, the 100 cal snack packs, pretzels in ziploc baggies, cut up raw veggies or apple slices in ziplocs, oranges or clementines (my fave).
  • Nomoreplus_sizes
    Options
    Thanks! I'm gonna have a nice little goody bag for this journey. My flight leaves at midnite but I have to travel the night before so I'll probably sleep during the day and won't be able to sleep on the plan. I sometimes snore too, so I tried to avoid sleeping on the plane unless I'm really relaxed (which is rare) I have to leave my house around 8 to ensure I'm on BART and in that airport by 10pm.