Lost 66 pounds in 3.5 months but now everything stopped REALLY NEED HELP PLEASE

Options
fatguy232
fatguy232 Posts: 30 Member

i am 25 year old male with height of 5 5"I weighed 242 pounds on 15 march 2015 and now i weigh 176 pounds.My target weight is 130 pounds. I started working out through walking and jogging alongwith crash diet of about 600-800 calories per day.I did great all along but for last 10 days needle wont budge.I had heavy meals before in these 3 months whenever my weight got stuck but now despite all the efforts nothing seems to be working.Really need help and advice please

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    It's because you crash dieted. If you are eating the amount of calories your body needs for nourishment, your weight loss may slow down... Lift heavier and eat healthier.
  • fatguy232
    Options
    I am planning to mix it up.I jog 11.5kms daily but now i am planning to mix it up with walk and weight lifting so that i gain a bit muscles which will result in more need of calories intake.Would that be right?
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    fatguy232 wrote: »

i am 25 year old male with height of 5 5"I weighed 242 pounds on 15 march 2015 and now i weigh 176 pounds.My target weight is 130 pounds. I started working out through walking and jogging alongwith crash diet of about 600-800 calories per day.I did great all along but for last 10 days needle wont budge.I had heavy meals before in these 3 months whenever my weight got stuck but now despite all the efforts nothing seems to be working.Really need help and advice please

Why the rush?

My recommendation is to slow the eff down, take a deep breath and eat more food. This isn't a race and you aren't doing your body any favors right now. You need to nourish and feed your body.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily. If you are still overweight, you wouldn't eat more just to weight train. You still eat at a deficit and you might eat back some of your exercise calories.
  • fatguy232
    Options
    The rush was because i am one of those guys who is impatient and want to see immediate tangible results.My plan was once i hit my target i will bring my calorie intake to normal level alongwith exercise to mantain it as i already once brought my weight to 128 pounds back in 2012 from 176 pounds with excessive exercise and crash diet.I didnt bother to mantain it and ended up gaining double.Now should i take my calorie intake to 1200 a day or even more than this?
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    The rush was because i am one of those guys who is impatient and want to see immediate tangible results.My plan was once i hit my target i will bring my calorie intake to normal level alongwith exercise to mantain it as i already once brought my weight to 128 pounds back in 2012 from 176 pounds with excessive exercise and crash diet.I didnt bother to mantain it and ended up gaining double.Now should i take my calorie intake to 1200 a day or even more than this?

But you're risking your health. Surely that's not worth it. I also cannot even imagine how much muscle mass you've lost.

The standard recommendation for men - at minimum is 1500 calories. If I were you, that's what I'd aim for to start. You probably will see a slight gain, but stick with it.
  • fatguy232
    Options
    i know and i did studied about muscle mass but i made up my mind that once i reach my target i will make this workout part of my daily routine and taking normal amount of calories obviously my this illusion did not work.What do you suggest should i keep my workout at same level or bring alteration in that too alongwith more calorie intake?
  • fatguy232
    Options
    @aippolito1 I didnt understand what you meant by weight train and eating my exercise calories.Please explain it a bit
  • matthewiscoool
    matthewiscoool Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Implement some weight training and switch your cardio routine. If you are currently doing steady-state cardio (same speed for long periods of time) try HIIT (high intensity interval training). Tweaking your diet and workout routine can help break a weight loss stall quickly. Don't nessicarily need to drop calories, maybe change what percentage of calories you are getting from carbs, proteins and fats. Small things such as ingesting more protein and slightly less carbs can drastically change the scale. Hope this helps.
  • fatguy232
    Options
    @matthewiscoool i switched from jogging to brisk walk but it didnt work.Now i am planning to add weight training and increase my calorie intake.What do you suggest would that be right?
    thanks for your help:)
  • matthewiscoool
    Options
    Also, the amount of calories you're taking in is far too low. Calculate your macronutrient needs with one of the free calculators online and see what you're body needs to achieve maximum weight loss. Stay at a deficit, but don't deprive your body of what it needs to function properly. Crash dieting will always cause a stall once your body adjusts.
  • fatguy232
    Options
    you are right i have checked that it says 1800app.So what do you suggest sir should i go between 1200-1500 or minimum 1500?
  • matthewiscoool
    Options
    I have found huge weight loss doing interval training. You can google simple ones online that will have huge results. I recommend eating between 1800-2000 cals a day atleast if you are training consistently. Once you calculate your macro's you can adjust carbs/proteins/fats to see what your body responds the best too. As for weight training, I would also search online for beginners workout routines until you build a solid base and can begin weight training with more intensity.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    i know and i did studied about muscle mass but i made up my mind that once i reach my target i will make this workout part of my daily routine and taking normal amount of calories obviously my this illusion did not work.What do you suggest should i keep my workout at same level or bring alteration in that too alongwith more calorie intake?

Please don't up your intensity. Just keep doing what you're doing, and eat more.

If you're interested in weight training, you should look into a structured program like Stronglifts 5x5. But in order to do something like that - you have to fuel your body.

I also recommend maybe talking to a therapist about how you approach and feel about weight loss. Your methods are unhealthy from a physical and mental standpoint.

Good luck.
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options

But you're risking your health. Surely that's not worth it. I also cannot even imagine how much muscle mass you've lost.

The standard recommendation for men - at minimum is 1500 calories. If I were you, that's what I'd aim for to start. You probably will see a slight gain, but stick with it.

It's not a sprint, your in a marathon....66 pounds in 3.5 months is amazing...Definitely, increase your calories and start weight training 3 x a week. I'm totally a cardio guy and lost 58 pounds since January 1st and lost most of my muscle mass along with it.
  • fatguy232
    Options
    Will you explain a bit about macro and their adjustment please?:)
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    You need to make a permanent lifestyle change that you can live with for the rest of your life. You've already seen how crash diets don't work, and you ended up gaining back double. You have to think of it as changing your lifestyle. So, don't starve yourself. Develop healthy eating habits and have patience with the process.
  • fatguy232
    Options
    @bigd66218 thankyou for your advice.What has been your average calorie intake.Why did you lose muscle mass even after an amazing and moderately healthy pace of weight loss?
  • matthewiscoool
    Options
    Macros are basically your fat/protein/carb intakes and what percentage of your diet each one takes up. The calculator should tell you have many grams of each to consume for weight loss. If you find this isn't working as you'd like, you can up your protein and drop your carbs slightly for instance or whatever you feel works best for your body. Macros are just a way to track how many of each type of calorie you are consuming a day. Hitting your macros with around a 200 cal deficit daily will help weight loss tremendously. Don't drop below 1800 at this point. Your body needs nutrients desperately it sounds like