The food database is full of crap. Verified means nothing!

Options
2»

Replies

• docsandy
    docsandy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for a new database...any suggestions ?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    wahoowad wrote: »
    Go look at all the "verified" Perdue chicken breast entries. The variance is ridiculous. And who verifies this stuff?

I'm confused about why your post has two flags.

WTH people?

I'm going to speculate that it's people who maybe got offended by the thread title.

Lord's name in vain and all that folderol.

• intruhvurt
    intruhvurt Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Go look at all the "verified" Perdue chicken breast entries. The variance is ridiculous. And who verifies this stuff?

WTH people?

Because of the title. I didn't flag it, but I can see how that would be offensive to a lot of people.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    docsandy wrote: »
    What happened ? I previously relied on this database, so much has deteriorated since the company was sold :'(

They tried to make the database all fancy and made-over by creating "verified" entries with little green check marks next to them that mean absolutely nothing. They also took away the asterisk to let you know that the food was entered by a user, so I have no way of knowing if my "Bananas - Raw" entry is the right one or if it was entered by some rando.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    I think they should just nuke it and start over.

I'm on this train.

Agreed. I wish we had the option too to fix spelling mistakes.

I always laugh when I see an entry for yogart.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    edited June 2015
    Options
    intruhvurt wrote: »

WTH people?

Because of the title. I didn't flag it, but I can see how that would be offensive to a lot of people.

Sounds like "a lot of people" need to put their big boy panties on and accept the fact that this is the internet...
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

WTH people?

I'm guessing that it's people being precious about *gasp* blasphemy! or the use of the word crap. Which is not censored by MFP so people shouldn't bug the mods by flagging it.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options

I'm on this train.

Agreed. I wish we had the option too to fix spelling mistakes.

I always laugh when I see an entry for yogart.

My favorite is the "skin milk" entry floating around
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    It really is ridiculous. I put in a tablespoon of brown sugar and it came out as 15 calories the other day.

It switches it to TEASPOON on your actual entry. Happened to me today! I thought I was losing my mind.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    There's an entry for something called "Perdue chicken breast tenders" that has more fat grams than protein grams. How the hell do you turn chicken breast into a fat meat?!

My guess is that the Perdue chicken breast tenders are battered and fried. Of course, that's just a guess, so who knows.

Tenders are battered and fried.
  • SimoneBee12
    SimoneBee12 Posts: 268 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I use to use MyPlate about 5 years ago, and I used it for maybe 2 years, then I switched to here because the database was better, so was the app, and there is a lot more communication between users. In the 2-3 years I've been here though, it's getting worse all the time.

ETA: I just remember I left MyPlate because they updated a ton of stuff and it made the website horribly difficult to use, so maybe I can't even go back there now.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    I verify a lot of stuff here: http://nutritiondata.self.com/
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I think some items have regional differences to label data, I have seen items with lots of verifications that are don't match the label I am looking at. Maybe different suppliers and thus different nutritionals? I think that could explain how something could be verified one region and not be accurate in another. Just a guess!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

I'm on this train.

I'll cheer you on from a safe distance.
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I absolutely hate the new entries in the database. It's so much harder now to find the accurate entries which have grams as an option :(
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    karahm78 wrote: »
    I think some items have regional differences to label data, I have seen items with lots of verifications that are don't match the label I am looking at. Maybe different suppliers and thus different nutritionals? I think that could explain how something could be verified one region and not be accurate in another. Just a guess!

That absolutely does happen. Especially from country to country.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    docsandy wrote: »
    I'm looking for a new database...any suggestions ?

nutritiondata.self.com is what I use to verify all my MFP stuff.