Lost 66 pounds in 3.5 months but now everything stopped REALLY NEED HELP PLEASE

Options

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    fatguy232 wrote: »
    Will you explain a bit about macro and their adjustment please?:)

Macros are the big three things that calories are compromised of.

Fat, Carbs and Protein.

Each plays a role in your health and well being.

They break down like this:

1g fat = 9 calories
    1g carbs = 4 calories
    1g protein = 4 calories

Fat helps your body absorb important nutrients, helps keep you......regular. Protein is muscle food. The general recommendation is 1g per pound of LBM. If you don't know your LBM, then .8g per pound. Carbs are energy.

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ - is a popular site that can help you figure out your macro ratio if that's something you're interested in tracking.
  • fatguy232
    fatguy232 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    @matthewiscoool I get it your help means alot thankyou so much:)
  • fatguy232
    Options
    @lisawinning4losing you are absolutely right i already regret it and plan to make exercise part of my life permanently but i planned that i would switch to normal once i reach my target but it doesnt always go as we plan i guess
  • matthewiscoool
    matthewiscoool Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sure thing, good luck with your weight loss. Like everyone said, it's a marathon. Eat healthy, train hard and the results will come. And don't forget to get your calories in :)
  • fatguy232
    Options
    @TheVirgoddess thankyou very much for making it easier to understand.Your help means alot:)
  • fatguy232
    Options
    @matthewiscoool You are right
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    @bigd66218 thankyou for your advice.What has been your average calorie intake.Why did you lose muscle mass even after an amazing and moderately healthy pace of weight loss?

When I stated I weighed 278 pounds and I'm 6'6.5" so at my current weight my BMI is at 25.1....I still don't have a healthy diet plan and I do a lot of cardio 8-12 hrs. a week mostly cycling upwards of 150 miles/wk. Take a close look at cyclists and they have little or no upper body. My average caloric intake is set at 2100 and I have an open diary. I don't eat back all my exercise calories and generally run a weekly deficit of 2000 or more a week. Starting July 1st I'm scaling back and trying to gain muscle by increasing my caloric intake. My goal weight is 218 and I should hit that soon.....

• fatguy232
    Options
    @bigd66218 You certainly do work termendously and you ll surely hit your target real soon with your this amazing workout for sure:)
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    fatguy232 wrote:
    i am 25 year old male with height of 5' 5". I weighed 242 pounds on 15 march 2015
    and now i weigh 176 pounds. My target weight is 130 pounds.
    According to BMI, a healthy weight range for your height is 115 - 145.
    http://www.shapeup.org/bmi/bmi6.pdf
    So you're only 30 lb over the top end of a healthy weight. Losing 0.5-1 lb per month would be a reasonable expectation.
    What you did before was NOT reasonable, or healthy, and you should not try to continue it.
    At first, a reasonable goal would have been 2-3 lb per week.

I'm 46, 5'10" (in the morning), and currently right at 200 lb (aiming for 165), and my calorie goal is 1400.
    You're younger, and male, so even though you're shorter you should have more calories.

I did great all along but for last 10 days needle wont (sic) budge.
    You did not "do great". You risked your health and have (so far) ((apparently)) avoided serious health problems.
    You've likely lost muscle mass. It's much harder to regain than maintain, even for a young man.
    Start weight training, even if it's only body weight exercises. (See youtube & google.)

Increase your calories to at least maintenance. (Ignore exercise calories - most people underestimate calories
    eaten, most computers overestimate calories burned. If you're really hungry at the end of the day once in a
    while, have 1/3 - 1/2 of those for a snack.)

This calculator from the Baylor College of Medicine will tell you how many calories & servings of the food groups
    to eat to maintain any weight. If you enter your healthy goal weight, this will help you plan your food intake.
    https://www.bcm.edu/cnrc-apps/healthyeatingcalculator/eatingCal.html

It says that at your current weight, if you were INACTIVE, you'd need 2188 cal/day just to maintain that weight.
    At 145 and inactive, you'd need 1812.
    At 130 and inactive, you'd need 1630.
    At 130 and active 1 hour per day, you'd need 2428.

So STOP the VLCD!!!!
    If you've spent 3 months eating maybe half of what your body needs just to run (while inactive), you have lost
    not only fat but also muscle... so you've lowered your metabolism even more. Congrat's. It will take a long time
    to get back to normal, if you ever can.

Put your before & after measurements into this calculator to see how much fat & how much muscle you've lost:
    http://fitness.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Body-Fat-Navy

I had heavy meals before in these 3 months whenever my weight got stuck but now despite all the efforts
    nothing seems to be working.
    Why would you eat more when you weren't losing weight, thinking you'd lose weight by having more calories?
    That's the false "starvation mode" belief. Junk 'science'. Woo.
    (The real starvation mode was when your body burned muscle in an attempt to stay alive.)
    Read this:
    http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/
    If people really stopped losing weight because they ate too little, people wouldn't die from anorexia, they'd
    get fat. And nobody would have died from starvation in concentration camps, or African famines. Your body
    does NOT hang onto calories when you eat too little. It can't. It has to have energy to run, or you die.

Read this.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
    Read it again.
    And again, until it sinks in.

You'll find this helpful too:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-06-08-setting-goals-667045
  • MKEgal
    Options
    fatguy232 wrote:
    i did studied about muscle mass but i made up my mind that once i reach my target i will
    make this workout part of my daily routine and taking normal amount of calories
    So whatever you studied apparently didn't include information about maintaining muscle mass while losing weight.
    Or else it didn't sink in.
    Start weight training now, maintaining what muscle you have left.
    You're not going to gain any muscle while you're losing weight (eating fewer calories than you need to live).
    But you don't have to lose any more.
    Once you get closer to a healthy weight, nudge the calories up to maintenance & increase the weight training.
    In order to gain muscle, you need to eat at a slight surplus (maybe 200 cal), with a high % of protein (35% is the
    top of the healthy range - see below), and lift progressively heavier things, regularly.

carbs, 45 - 65% of calories (4 cal per gram)
    fat, 20 - 35% of calories (9 cal per gram)
    protein, 10 - 35% of calories (4 cal per gram)
    From the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition:
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/88/1/1/T1.expansion.html
  • fatguy232
    Options
    @MKEgal Your help and the way you tried to explain and jot down all the details so that i dont end up killing myself really really means alot:)
    Now my plans are bringing some changes in my workout by replacing jogging with brisk walk and weight lifting alongwith normal caloric intake.What do you suggest is that right?
    And losing 1lb per month isnt way toooo low?:P
  • MKEgal
    Options
    fatguy232 wrote:
    bigd66218 Why did you lose muscle mass even after an amazing and moderately healthy pace of weight loss?
    According to that body fat calculator I posted above, as I've lost ~80 lb I've actually gained a few lb of muscle.
    I think it's measurement error, but am happy simply to have maintained what I had... while losing LOTS of fat.
    :grin::sweat_smile:
    Weightlifting, from the start.
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    You keep talking about your plans in the future, but at such a dangerously low caloric intake your very future is in jeopardy! You are risking muscle wasting, internal organ(s) damage, loss of hair, depleted mental concentration, etc! Please, please, please take the steps toward good health. Consult with your physician. What joy will there be in losing the weight if you are not well enough to enjoy it??
  • fatguy232
    Options
    @MKEgal you lost 80lbs pounds wowww thats amazing.In how much time?
  • fatguy232
    Options
    @jenibethbu I just remained in this illusion that my body will adapt and recover once i hit my goal and reset my normal caloric intake
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Why the rush? Why not just eat at a reasonable deficit to lose? Why not be healthy?
  • fatguy232
    Options
    @MKEgal and to be honest if for not help of you guys i wasnt mentally ever prepared to slow down my pace until i hit atleast the normal category
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    @jenibethbu I just remained in this illusion that my body will adapt and recover once i hit my goal and reset my normal caloric intake

It IS an illusion. I am a nurse, and reading your story and having a very real understanding of the potential harm has made me sad and scared for you!

• fatguy232
    Options
    @jenibethbu You are so kind and i cant thankyou enough for your concern.But last time when i did this even though at that time i had to lose 50 pounds and i did so without facing any sort of problems thats why i went with that again and this time followed it even more agressively than before. Even if the damages are not showing themselves now they can become visible after few years?
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    @jenibethbu You are so kind and i cant thankyou enough for your concern.But last time when i did this even though at that time i had to lose 50 pounds and i did so without facing any sort of problems thats why i went with that again and this time followed it even more agressively than before. Even if the damages are not showing themselves now they can become visible after few years?

Okay, but you gained the weight back. So while it worked, it was short term. How many times do you think you can do this to your body?

I've lost 83 pounds, in 15 months. And it's going to stay off, because I did it in a smart, sustainable way.