Super Size Me vs Fat Head

Options

Replies

• pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Fathead set out to make a few points and did so very well. i think the Supersize vs Fathead part sends a clear message of learn, use your brain, and use some self control. Kids may not know it's not good to indulge in it, but adults certainly should, especially if they have children. Don't forget, if you used the food pyramid to pick a fast food meal, it certainly appears fast food can run on the healthy side. Meat, grains, potato, and hey, a side salad or a little fruit to cover that base. Then my special treat of ice cream etc.. because I've been good.

If you're an addict. Get your butt in therapy. Addiction is not an excuse!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    The science is very flawed. I would say completely backwards. Invest in a book called Why We Get Fat and What To Do About It by Gary Taubes. He blows the calories in/calories out thing completely out of the water. Carbs drive insulin and insulin drives fat storage. Protein and fat do not cause fat accumulation; carbs do. This man spent 5 years gathering research and evidence. The book contains 17 pages of very valid resources and if you want to read through those resources then get the book Good Calories, Bad Calories - if you like scientific reading.

I have seen Super Size Me. I have not seen Fathead. I know now that I don't need to because I have the necessary information to ensure I will not end up obese, diabetic, or sick.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    I have seen Super Size Me. I have not seen Fathead. I know now that I don't need to because I have the necessary information to ensure I will not end up obese, diabetic, or sick.

Yes, if you read Taubes or anything else on what's wrong with the Lipid Hypothesis or the role of Insulin. Fathead would be purely for enjoyment purposes. It's like an educational comedy. Very funny at times.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options

Yes, if you read Taubes or anything else on what's wrong with the Lipid Hypothesis or the role of Insulin. Fathead would be purely for enjoyment purposes. It's like an educational comedy. Very funny at times.

I was reading what Free Range posted on the other thread and I was actually thinking about checking it out just for some good laughs. I can always use a good laugh.
  • Newmammaluv
    Newmammaluv Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    See and I watched Fat Head and it changed my perspective on EVERYTHING! 28 pounds in 2 months different! Carbs may not be the issue for most people but for me as soon as I increased my fat and protein intake and lowered by carb intake I felt 1000 times better and although I still stumble and get caught up on carb binges that last for days I am still making leaps and bounds progress than I ever did before with low fat, high carb eating.

There was more than one point to Fat Head. Yes he hates Morgan Spurlok (who cares) but his other point was that you don't have to be a vegan or vegetarian and if anything they hurt your body composition. Nutrition is not one size fits all so if it doesn't fit for you, put it back on the rack. Don't ***** and complain that it doesn't fit you. You wouldn't do it with clothes so don't do it with advice or other people's opinions.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Let’s see Spurlock, vomited because he couldn’t stand the food, he said “glad that is over so I never have to eat that crap again” after his month was over,,,,, and then said it’s addicting?????? Does that makes sense to anyone,,,,,,, anyone? Yes I got that from Fat Head, but it’s a good point.

Also after Spurlock was done, it took him four months to lose the weight he gained from eating McDonnell's, four months of eating a vegan detox diet prepared by his vegan chief wife? And Fathead lost weight eating fast food for a month, but keeping his calories in line and staying under 100 carbs.

IMO Spurlock is a hack vegetarian and was thoroughly outed by Fat Head.
  • labgirl3
    labgirl3 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    The science is very flawed. I would say completely backwards. Invest in a book called Why We Get Fat and What To Do About It by Gary Taubes. He blows the calories in/calories out thing completely out of the water. Carbs drive insulin and insulin drives fat storage. Protein and fat do not cause fat accumulation; carbs do. This man spent 5 years gathering research and evidence. The book contains 17 pages of very valid resources and if you want to read through those resources then get the book Good Calories, Bad Calories - if you like scientific reading.

I think you're confused on what Fathead is promoting - which is exactly Taubes' view of fats and carbs. He makes a point of eating at fast food restaurants but keeping his carbs under 100 grams in order to lose weight. He mentions Taubes' book several times, and if I remember correctly, has a snippet of Taubes explaining something. In other words, they are in total agreement.

Or maybe I'm just totally misunderstanding your post!
  • Kim4Kim
    Kim4Kim Posts: 3 Member
    Options

I think you're confused on what Fathead is promoting - which is exactly Taubes' view of fats and carbs. He makes a point of eating at fast food restaurants but keeping his carbs under 100 grams in order to lose weight. He mentions Taubes' book several times, and if I remember correctly, has a snippet of Taubes explaining something. In other words, they are in total agreement.

Or maybe I'm just totally misunderstanding your post!

My thoughts exactly... Actually, come to think of it, I think he recommends reading the same book (Good Calories, Bad Calories) in Fathead.

I was actually a huge fan of this movie. While it was quite funny, it was also based on sound logic and scientific back up. I learned quite a bit my watching this. I had heard about the whole cholesterol and heart disease myth before but never really understood it. I really liked how he used plain English and cartoons to get his point across. I really agreed with the message he was promoting. Not that everyone should eat fast food to lose weight/be healthy, but that even if you do CHOOSE to eat fast food, it is ultimately your choice what you eat and if you make it a healthy choice.

I highly recommend this documentary!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Other then then the parts on the lipid hypothesis the rest of GCBC and Why We Get Fat is a bunch of cherry picked science mixed with a little bit of fantasy. for instance fat can be stored without the presence of insulin, wait wut?

among other takedowns of the Taubes nonsense, this is a pretty good one

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2011/08/carbohydrate-hypothesis-of-obesity.html

As for the movies;

Supersize Me = eat in a caloric surplus and gain weight
    Fathead = eat in a caloric deficit and lose weight

not really groundbreaking there
  • hotrod6101
    Options
    I also started to watch Fat Head and was so disgusted I had to stop midway thru. This guy has no clue what he is talking about. He either is trying to gain fame by discrediting an acclaimed movie or works for McDonalds. How else can his comments be so absurd. I remember watching Super Size Me in 2007 and didn't touch McDonalds for 4 years, I relapsed last year but I'm back on schedule. Fathead star Tom, is out of touch with society. He should watch movies like Food Inc, and Forks over knives, maybe he can get a clue. I researched the calorie intake of the meals he described and find it funny that he trust McDonalds to tell him what calorie are in there food, since they have no incentive to make them on the low end of calorie scale. The Quarter pounder with cheese calorie count fluctuates from 510 to 580 depending where you look and for every packet of ketchup you use, just add about 15-20 calories per meal. Fathead is the prefect name for him and his movie.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    If people truly believe McDonald's is healthy, I'm sorry, but they're total idiots. It's common sense that fast food is not good for you. End of story.
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    If people truly believe McDonald's is healthy, I'm sorry, but they're total idiots. It's common sense that fast food is not good for you. End of story.

Maybe not for people with low daily calorie allowances. But for someone like me, i can get all my healthy foods and still have room for a fast food burger. Its all about context.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    So I watched Fat Head last night. It was a movie trying to disprove Super Size Me. They did a pretty good job at it (showing that Morgan's calories just didn't add up to what he said they were), but I did disagree with some of the stuff they said. They said that people aren't stupid and that everyone knows that McDonald's isn't good for you.

Well I beg to differ because I know PLENTY of people (and argued with many as well) that say that McDonalds is perfectly healthy, and they say most fried foods are as well. He tried to make a point by showing that when the clerk asked him if he "wanted fries with that" that he simply said "No, thank you." and then he looked at the camera and goes "See, it's as easy as that." Well, no it's not, sir. Not for people who are addicted to food. It might be easy for HIM, but it may not be "that easy" for some other people.

Have any of you seen this movie (or both Super Size Me AND this movie [Fat Head]??). I ended up having to turn it off because he started pissing me off by saying that everyone on Earth has that common sense that McDonald's isn't good for you. Well, no, not everyone does.

Opinions??

I think for the most part people DO know that McDonalds (and other fastfood) isn't good for you. However, I think the perpetuated cost effectiveness is what is "making" people eat there... they think they are saving money by eating there... which just isn't the case.
  • EmCarroll1990
    Options

Maybe not for people with low daily calorie allowances. But for someone like me, i can get all my healthy foods and still have room for a fast food burger. Its all about context.

I'm totally confused here, just because something fits into your calorie allowance doesn't make it healthy. Also, I am totally not preaching as I'm just as guilty of loving fast foods as much as the next chick, but I'm not delusional enough to believe it's good for me.
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options

I'm totally confused here, just because something fits into your calorie allowance doesn't make it healthy. Also, I am totally not preaching as I'm just as guilty of loving fast foods as much as the next chick, but I'm not delusional enough to believe it's good for me.

What is specifically "unhealthy" about a fast food burger? You might have a case for preservatives. But to the body a burger from mcdonalds is still made up of protein, fat and carbs, the same as if you were to make a burger at home.
  • EmCarroll1990
    Options

What is specifically "unhealthy" about a fast food burger? You might have a case for preservatives. But to the body a burger from mcdonalds is still made up of protein, fat and carbs, the same as if you were to make a burger at home.

Not quite. I could make a burger at home for way less of the calories than McDonald's has in their's. Please also note, I am referring to fast food in a whole, not just specifically a burger.
  • Antigone
    Antigone Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    If it was so easy to "just say no" then we wouldn't have as many overweight people in this country. Or drug addicts for that matter!

It's more than just "saying no". I think for most people, by the time they are in the door they figure, "Hey, I'm eating like crap no matter what here, might as well enjoy some fries too!" For me, I just avoid going into fast food joints alltogether. I haven't been to a McDonalds in MONTHS but I'm pretty sure the last time I did, I had fries.
  • Antigone
    Antigone Posts: 70 Member
    Options

At home I make turkey burgers with all organic veggies and a lettuce "bun" or else use Daves Killer bread which is whole grain and has a healthy amount of fiber. I think they are actually BETTER that McDonalds burger and FAR better for you. I'd bet is has FAR less heart killing saturated fat also.
  • EmCarroll1990
    Options
    If it was so easy to "just say no" then we wouldn't have as many overweight people in this country. Or drug addicts for that matter!

It's more than just "saying no". I think for most people, by the time they are in the door they figure, "Hey, I'm eating like crap no matter what here, might as well enjoy some fries too!" For me, I just avoid going into fast food joints alltogether. I haven't been to a McDonalds in MONTHS but I'm pretty sure the last time I did, I had fries.

I honestly, cannot say no to McDonald's fries. They smell and taste so darn good.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

At home I make turkey burgers with all organic veggies and a lettuce "bun" or else use Daves Killer bread which is whole grain and has a healthy amount of fiber. I think they are actually BETTER that McDonalds burger and FAR better for you. I'd bet is has FAR less heart killing saturated fat also.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/hormonal-responses-to-a-fast-food-meal-compared-with-nutritionally-comparable-meals-of-different-composition-research-review.html