Down 50 Pounds in 5 Months!

Options
Redbeard333
Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
edited June 2015 in Success Stories
ubpttiw1gj3v.jpg
x78i0lwojc7g.jpg
7ak2ukrgyduh.jpg
I started my "journey" back in mid-January, when I was very unhappy and angry with myself. I've been overweight for at least 20 years; my doctor had put me on high blood pressure meds 2 years ago, and I've been using a CPAP machine for at least 10 years for severe obstructive sleep apnea. My students would even call me "Peter Griffin" since I was a fat white guy that lived in Rhode Island.

In the middle of January I weighed myself one morning out of curiosity, and instead of being "around 255" as I thought, I was 287.7. What a shocker... and a disappointment! How the heck did I get this big? What am I doing to myself??? I resolved to take control of my weight. I've lost 20 pounds before, but when the challenge I was participating in ended, I gained it all back. This time it was going to have to be a permanent change, one that I could continue for a long time.

I started logging everything I ate on MFP, and stayed within my calorie guidelines. I stopped buying school lunches, and started making my lunches at home, 5 days at a time: pb&j, pretzels, Oreos, and an apple. After losing 20 pounds, I bought a used Fitbit Charge and started trying to be more active by going for late-night walks, parking far away from the entrance to the supermarket, and using my dust-collecting treadmill in the basement. By mid-May, coworkers started to notice my weight loss, and former students who hadn't seen me in a couple months would say "have you lost weight, Mr. K?". I also noticed that as soon as I woke up in the morning, it would pop in my head that I have lost a lot of weight. It wasn't a material possession that was making me happy, but a physical change that was making me smile.

In mid-June, I reached 5 months on MFP, and last week, 5 months and 1 week after starting up with MFP, I'm down 50 pounds. I can't believe I've lost so much weight. The top 2 pictures are from my road trip last summer at the end of August, and the bottom picture was 2 weeks ago comparing what I presently look like and my id photo from the beginning of the school year. I still have a ways to go, however. My long-term goals are that I'd like to reach 200 by my 44th birthday in late October, and see if I can reach the 180's by New Year's.

What's wonderful about this "program" is that it's whatever you want it to be! You don't have to buy expensive bottles of water, or subscribe to a food delivery program, or start going to the gym 5 days/week; just make better choices! Eat less, walk more; it's that simple. I still eat cookies, pasta, and cake, but just not as much as I used to. My morning coffee is now black with no sugar, and I eat as much fruit as I can during the day. The point is, almost anyone can do it; the hardest part is getting started!

I enjoy making new friends on MFP, and love encouraging people at achieving their goals. Feel free to add me, and best of success to everyone on their "journey" as well :smiley:

Replies

• TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    SpaceX tee shirt, Doctor Who lanyard, periodic table tie - you're my kind of geek!

Oh yes, and the weightloss is pretty shiny too! :wink: Big, big congratulations :smiley:
  • txteacake67
    txteacake67 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you! I'm re-starting today! Happy summer!
  • get_rucked
    get_rucked Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on great loss and great necktie!!
  • Diana_GettingFit
    Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I got off diabetes meds through losing weight and running. I hope you can get off your bp meds.
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Where did you get that tie? I need to buy one for my husband! (And congrulations on the weight loss too!)
  • momthenurse
    momthenurse Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! So inspiring!
  • Redbeard333
    Options
    TheGoktor wrote: »
    SpaceX tee shirt, Doctor Who lanyard, periodic table tie - you're my kind of geek!

Oh yes, and the weightloss is pretty shiny too! :wink: Big, big congratulations :smiley:

Thanks!! I'm also the advisor of the "Doctor Who Club" at the school I teach at :)
  • Redbeard333
    Options
    charmmeth wrote: »
    Where did you get that tie? I need to buy one for my husband! (And congrulations on the weight loss too!)
    I actually got it from a teacher friend who retired. When I was in school to become a teacher, I observed him for a week and was incredibility inspired by his enthusiasm and knowledge. He called me after he retired to give away some of his materials, that tie being one of them. I try to wear a tie every day, and can go about two months without repeating one :)

• BronxBStanfield
    BronxBStanfield Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Great job! :)
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Congrats! And thank you for posting this, it is very motivating for someone like me, who just began some (hopefully) life-changing habits about two weeks ago. Keep up the fantastic focus!
  • ChiffonLaRue14
    ChiffonLaRue14 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Congratulations and keep up the great work! 50 lbs alone is a big difference! Imagine how much younger you'd look at 180! Best of luck!

- Arianna
  • mmnv79
    mmnv79 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Well done!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Excellent work!
  • TinyRaccoon19
    TinyRaccoon19 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Massive congratulations
  • zuckls
    zuckls Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • mtruitt01
    mtruitt01 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    You are inspiring! I'm a teacher also. What were your calorie goals, if I might ask?
  • Popsicle_Feet
    Popsicle_Feet Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You look great! Good job :)
  • FaceTheFears
    FaceTheFears Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Ooooooh my goooosh... Doctor Who... *dies*

Oh, and great job!
  • janisvin
    janisvin Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Nicely done!!!!
  • Redbeard333
    Options
    mtruitt01 wrote: »
    You are inspiring! I'm a teacher also. What were your calorie goals, if I might ask?
    I'm just trying to stay below what MFP recommends, which is 2060/day for a 1.5 pound/wk loss. Right now I'm averaging about 2 pounds/week, with two weeks having gained a little.

My worry this summer is having more time around the house, which will lead to more time around food. During the school year I'm there from 6:30 am to 6 pm, so it's WAY EASIER to monitor what I eat.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!