1500 Calorie is my Limit... I get super hungry, any suggetions...

Options
2»

Replies

• grwardlaw
    grwardlaw Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and apples are my life saver
    nuts and avocado
    water
  • sugaandgrits
    sugaandgrits Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    These are my really general tips for hunger:

1. Make sure that your calorie goals are actually set appropriately. Don't skip this step. A lot of people set goals that are too aggressive and then wonder why they're having a hard time. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

2. Look for foods higher in protein, fat, and fiber. These help us stay full and more satisfied longer. If you're using MFP's default settings, try to consider protein, fat, and fiber as minimums to reach every day rather than maximums to stay below.

3. Drink plenty of fluids. Some people really do confuse thirst and hunger.

4. Get plenty of rest. This includes sleeping enough and taking rest days from the exercise. Sometimes our bodies look for food when they're exhausted.

5. Play around with your meal timings. Some people do really well on 5-6 small meals a day and others feel like they want to gnaw their own arm off eating like that. Skipping breakfast, eating breakfast, 16:8 fasting, 6 small meals, 3 larger meals, snacks, no snacks, meal timing won't make a big difference to your weight loss, but it may help your hunger levels, mood, concentration, gym performance, etc. throughout the day. Don't be afraid to try a different way and see if it helps.

6. Wait it out. If you know you're eating enough and the other steps above aren't helping, you may just have to wait it out. Our bodies send out hunger signals partially out of habit. If you eat at a certain time every day your body will start to get hungry at that time. The good news is that these signals can be retrained to stop telling you to be hungry all the time. The bad news is that you may just have to be hungry for a little bit while that happens.

7. I also think it's important to remember that there's a habitual component to hunger. This goes along with point #6, but if you eat because you're bored or you're used to eating in front of the TV or in the car or whatever it is, then you can replace those habits with others that are better for you. Things like keeping water on hand to sip instead of snacking or picking up hobbies that keep your hands busy or that get you out of the house more can help out a little while you're retraining your hunger cues. You might need to pay attention to why you're eating/hungry or what you're feeling when you eat and try to replace food with other things, but it can be really beneficial over time.

And my go-to between meals snacks are things like: hard boiled eggs, beef or turkey jerky, protein bars, string cheese or cheese sticks, carrots & hummus, apples & peanut butter, Greek yogurt, nuts, etc.

thank you.
  • JayBigelow
    JayBigelow Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of high protein and least sugar food. I find protein shakes keep me full.
  • Phoenixlife75
    Phoenixlife75 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water.
    Higher fiber makes you feel fuller. Fiber drinks are a good option.
    Start your meal with protein. Then eat carbs. This gets your blood sugar stabilized & keeps it from spiking when you eat your carbs.
    Milk protein as an evening snack is great at keeping blood sugar leveled through the night. Which means your body keeps burning.
    Try eating small portions every 2.5 hrs or so.
  • mhuntrn4
    mhuntrn4 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Get off the "no fat" bandwagon- we need certain fats to trigger satiety and to help us absorb certain nutrients- a salad with no fat dressing and no other fat is pretty empty calories wise because you cannot absorb the A, D, E and K without fat to assist. The whole low fat everything myth is a holdover that has been shown to be wrong. U watch fats because they are higher calorie, gram for gram, than proteins and carbs- but u need them, in moderation. I feel full longer if my meals are high protein, high fiber and a moderate amount of "good" fat- monounsaturated is best.

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I add non-starchy vegetables to everything from my meatballs, chicken nuggets, casseroles, soups, chilis, meatloaf, burgers, etc. It gives me a lot more volume for the amount of calories without sacrificing taste.
  • emmaps55
    emmaps55 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    " I have been eating a lot of grapes for snacks. I also love green apple slices dipped in rasberry nonfat yogurt."

If I ate grapes for snacks I would be ravenous! I eat pretty high fat (55% of my average 1450 calories a day) -- a tablespoon of olive oil, or of organic mayo, plus cheese, eggs, meat -- that gives me a lot of fat and protein grams -- I try to keep my carb level around 75-80 grams a day, because anything higher makes me crave more and more and more. I keep TOTAL (not just added) sugar grams to 25-30 a day. I limit fruit to one or two pieces/servings a day because otherwise I just get too hungry. I also feel better on a full-fat yogurt than a non-fat-- because a lot of non-fat yogurts are very high in sugar....

The other thing is, some people do well on a lot of small meals -- whereas I like to feel bulk/volume at meal times, because that helps me with the psychological hunger. So I tend to eat very few snacks but make my meals good and substantial. You might try experimenting with the number and size of your "eating events" and find out what make YOU feel the best -- both physically and mentally/emotionally. Because as an emotional eater, I know I need to make that part of me happy or "we'll" (lots of us in this here body!) never make it to goal!!
  • Carrrrla
    Carrrrla Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I personally find the easiest way to prep for the next day is to do so while making dinner. I make dinner, and lunch for me and my boyfriend at the same time. Having cucumber salad? Chop up extra cucumber for slices the next day. Making a super healthy grilled meat dish? Cook a little extra and toss it in a dish. I'll even cut my chicken breast in half instead if they're big which can help with portion sizes. Whatever you're doing for dinner I find it totally valuable to use those extra minutes between stirring sauces etc to throw a lunch together!

I hope that gives you some ideas :)
  • lelaomara
    lelaomara Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I'm only a week in. I had a nutritionist hand me a diet organ for 1300! I thought I'd start at 1500 first. :)

This week I felt less hungry the day I ate more beans. I didn't eat a full serving of beans at one time. I added about 1/4-cup at each meal, divided in my chicken tacos. I needed to use up the rest of a can of black beans. With the added spinach, tomatoes, yellow pepper, chicken it was very filling. I'm not a fan of beans in general despite the fact they are nutrient dense plant-based protein sources with fiber. These are the kinds of foods I'm trying to eat more of.

I can't wait to see how I can add beans in other meals next week to help me feel less hungry.

I love the other tips. I'm hungry each day, often around midnight! I have erratic aleep patterns some days. I'm sure the midnight craving is a habit I should break.

They say a handful of nuts may help and I'm hungry if I don't have anything else with the nuts! Nuts and seeds seem to take up too much of my daily calories and aren't satisfying alone for me. Two tablespoons od hulled sunflower seeds wasn't worth the extra calories.

I'm finding coconut/almond milk is satisfying per serving. I imagine hard boiled eggs would help too.

• girl816
    girl816 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If you're feeling hungry try doing a workout or try to keep yourself busy throughout the day to distract yourself
  • hutchin88
    hutchin88 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Be sure your snacks include protein and a small amount of healthy fat. Grapes alone are just sugar, which won't kill hunger. I use a small slice of chicken breast or similar and a couple of almonds with a veggie or small slice of fruit. Good luck to you!
  • hutchin88
    hutchin88 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Regarding your question about prep:

I have on hand snacks that don't require cooking, such as cucumbers, celery, apples, etc. I also keep a store bought rotisserie chicken in the fridge for up to 5 days. Cooked veggies will last refrigerated for 4 to 5 days. Tho some cooked veggies may not be as appetizing after a couple of days in the fridge!
  • cristinaa201
    cristinaa201 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Green peas are my favorite! !! A frozen bag of green peas set them on a tray & season them with a little salt & pepper & drizzle them with a little olive oil. Pop them in the oven for about 25- 30 mins. Sooooo yummy & healthy
  • HelloImAnthony
    HelloImAnthony Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello, how are you, @jcompto ? I have some quick, easy, yet fulfilling small meals for you to try if interested!
    Small meal #1: Potato wedges.
    1) Cut 2 potato into wedges.
    2) In a bowl, add the following:
    A) Potato wedges
    B) 1 tablespoon of oil
    C) parmesan (finely grated) cheese
    D) Set toaster oven of regular oven to 400 degrees (F) and toss all ingredients.
    E) Let the potatoes sit in oven for 30 to 40 minutes!
    F) enjoy!

Small meal #2: cheese egg tortilla
    A) Warm skillet to a low temp.
    B) Place tortilla on one side for 1 minute.
    C) Flip tortilla
    D) 1/4 cup shredded cheese on tortilla.
    E) After one minute, move tortilla on to a plate.
    F) Cook 2 scrambled eggs (or omelette).
    G) After eggs are finished, place on too of cooked tortilla and roll it up.

If you really need a snack somewhere between your first and second meal, I suggest eating one piece of fruit. For instance, after meal 1, you can eat an apple, banana, or strawberry or any one piece of fruit.
  • HelloImAnthony
    HelloImAnthony Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    -edit-
    I meant to say, "...place on top of cooked tortilla..." On section G).
  • Hannah220190
    Hannah220190 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    perhaps you should increase your calories slightly!
  • JudithNYC
    JudithNYC Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Everone is different but for me what works is lots of water, lots of greens with some fat (1 to 3 tsp depending on how many calories I have to play with), lean protein, and staying away from refined carbs. I am not against eating a pastry, sweets, etc but I have found that the days I indulge I am ravenous. For my sweet tooth I make popsicles from Greek yogurt and berries. Sweet and protein rich. Not very portable, though.
  • melonydw
    melonydw Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    High protein and lots of water. Protein keeps you full longer and water will curb any fake hunger feelings you are getting.
    You should read "It starts with food". I started reading it not too long ago and it's very helpful and explains a lot about how the body works when it comes to food and cravings.
  • KaitlynNannery2015
    KaitlynNannery2015 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I use quest bars as a snack but I usually eat them before or after a workout. Instead of counting calories you should count macros because the calories are rounded. Macros are the carbs, fat, protein , fiber, etc percentages that is more effective because why starve yourself to get to where you wanna get? You have to eat. If you wanna drop eat smaller portion snacks every 2-3 hrs. Yes, iknow it sounds like a lot but you actually get results.