Emotional eating when there really ain't a reason??

Options
TheLittleGingerDoesWeightLoss
edited June 2015 in Motivation and Support
So I thought maybe I would get a little insight from others, since I can't seek professional help from a dietitian/nutritionist.

I've got a problem getting back in on the healthy living game and then falling down and binge eating. I see people who battle depression, had someone die in the family, had a baby, etc that battle with their weight and for good reason. I have not had such drastic changes in my life. I have a good family dynamic and I am blessed in so many ways such as having the ability to go to school and a job to pay the student loan bills.

The only things I can really complain about is:

1. My legs have an undiagnosed issue that makes many cardio exercises such as running, elliptical, and bouncing actions painful. Swimming is good though. Just need to find exercises that barely engage the calf muscles
2. I have moved a lot in my life, but I have always been with family and traveling is great.
3. I wanted to be in a certain place romantically, but that really isn't an issue because first I gotta love myself and secondly, the person will come when I'm not looking for them. Just have to be patient.

So my question to you is how did you combat your difficulties with food when you have lead an otherwise idyllic life?

Replies

• RB5790
    RB5790 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I also have an issue which makes a lot of cardio and excercises involving my legs quite difficult. With experience you will find ways to work around it and still be able to work out.

As for food, I go by the "out of sight, out of mind" strategy. I tossed out all the junk food around the house and filled the pantry and fridge with fruit and snacks with a lot of fiber. I also cut out all liquids except water. This has seemed to work without fail for a few weeks now.

Hope this helped~
  • runner1234b
    runner1234b Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are beyond your years in maturity and very much so beyond the stage of knowing that you want to makes a change. Excuses and denial are often the start and reason for being stagnant in binge eating. You are past that which is perfect. I say always have something like a case of yogurt on hand. If you are binging stick to one food. When you mix tastes and textures you trigger other emotions and other cravings.

Sometimes the binging is out of boredom of life or happy emotions not all are negative.
  • starvethepig
    starvethepig Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I happen to emotionally overeat as well sometimes, but with me it's sort of like I just eat all the time, even when I'm not hungry. So what helps me is timing meals, eating only when my stomach growls, not going into the kitchen unless it growls, and if I'm bored I'll usually do something to take my mind off of food like watch a movie or spend time with my dog. Hope this helps.
  • TheLittleGingerDoesWeightLoss
    Options
    Sounds like you are beyond your years in maturity and very much so beyond the stage of knowing that you want to makes a change. Excuses and denial are often the start and reason for being stagnant in binge eating. You are past that which is perfect. I say always have something like a case of yogurt on hand. If you are binging stick to one food. When you mix tastes and textures you trigger other emotions and other cravings.

Sometimes the binging is out of boredom of life or happy emotions not all are negative.

Thank you, that was very kind! Also you just made me realize that I have problem and I didn't even know it. I have a bad tendency to vacuum out a pantry and fridge. "oh, I had ten sweet chocolate cookies. How about some cereal? Hm, still peckish. Oh! Salty chips! What's in the fridge? Mmm, string cheese!" And on and on and on.

So this come to ryanburns5790 tip of keeping things out of sight and out of mind. Which is crazy difficult living with parents who aren't on the same boat. But I guess this is the ultimate test of willpower.