Pole dancing

Options
I'm taking a pole dancing class once a week (it's only been my second class, and I am soooo much better at being awkward than I am at being sexy - haha) but I have no idea what to put it into my exercise diary as.

There is a lot of floor work (stretching, ab work, push ups, etc.) as well as actual (limited) pole work (lifts, spins, yada yada yada).

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Replies

• MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Buy a heart rate monitor
  • JennaLee1486
    JennaLee1486 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have no idea. Maybe medium impact aerobics? Or just google it and choose the lower end of the range of calories burned that you find!?
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I think you could put it as circuit training
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I never logged any of my pole sessions. But, as it's probably been burned into all of our heads: A heart rate monitor is the only way to be sure. Or at least relatively close.
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I just don't log mine, since I can't get an accurate calorie count. I don't know about where you take lessons, but my gym won't let us wear any jewelry when using the pole, including watches. I can't keep the watch close enough to me to read the chest strap monitor, so I haven't been able to get a burn count.
  • Pink_turnip
    Pink_turnip Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Maybe I wont count it for now then.
    Thanks everyone :)
  • atrayubrandy
    atrayubrandy Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Honestly, with as much lifting as a typical pole dancing workout has, I would log it as strength training instead of aerobics...maybe even plyometrics if you feel like you got your heart rate up high enough. Without a heart rate monitor, there is no way to know for sure but I think that will get you as close to accurate as possible.
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    So the girl was wearing a heart rate monitor?!? Been wondering what it was for a long time.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • PoleBoy
    PoleBoy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    It really does depend on what you're doing - strength moves/spinning pole burn very little, whereas an energetic dance routine can burn quite a bit - I log mine, but it's measured by my BodyBugg

Typically an 45 minutes on the pole elevates my metabolism for 70 minutes, resulting in an EXTRA burn of 225 calories