Do noodles gain or lose calories when cooked?

Options
Hello MFP.
I just boiled 500 grams of noodles. On the package it said 100 grams = 350 calories. So the whole package of 500 grams should be 1750. I cooked them in water and weighed them again, they now weigh 1014 grams. Now my question, do the 1014 grams of noodles still contain 1750 calories? Or perhaps more or even less? I looked up the information for the exact same brand and type of noodles but this time cooked online, and it said that 100 grams = 157 calories. So 500 grams of the cooked noodles would be 785 calories and the 1014 grams would be 1592.

So, do the 1014 grams of cooked noodles have 1592 or 1750 calories?
I am hoping for a quick reply, thank you in advance

Replies

• 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Water during cooking adds volume (aka weight) but doesn't change the nutritional value and calories of the noodles.
  • Dauddaud
    Dauddaud Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Water during cooking adds volume (aka weight) but doesn't change the nutritional value and calories of the noodles.

I thought so but wanted to make sure, thank you very much.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Cooked values for pasta are typically inaccurate. You're much better off weighing it before cooking.
  • kimberlyjoy159
    kimberlyjoy159 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think some of the starch gets left behind in the boiling water, but I agree that you are better off weighing before cooking.