Do you track your spices?

Options
2»

Replies

• _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Only if I am going to measure them out and I put them into my recipe builder so I know how much to add. If I'm logging separately, I usually don't bother because I'm just seasoning to taste rather than measuring, so who knows how much is on my food when I'm cooking for more than just me? I definitely log marinades, though.

I also don't track gum, which I probably should. Oh well...
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Only if I am going to measure them out and I put them into my recipe builder so I know how much to add. If I'm logging separately, I usually don't bother because I'm just seasoning to taste rather than measuring, so who knows how much is on my food when I'm cooking for more than just me? I definitely log marinades, though.

Which reminds me of a question I have always had: do you actually absorb all of the calories in gum by chewing it? What if you swallow, do you absorb more over the 24 or so hours it takes to move through?

• lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    If it's a pinch here and there, no. If it's a significant amount of a spice, I will
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    If I only add a pinch I don't bother. If I add a teaspoon of something I'll track it.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

Which reminds me of a question I have always had: do you actually absorb all of the calories in gum by chewing it? What if you swallow, do you absorb more over the 24 or so hours it takes to move through?

I've wondered the same, but I don't think it really matters in the long run. I dropped all of my weight chewing multiple pieces of gum per day. I don't stress about it.
  • felblossom
    felblossom Posts: 132 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    When I'm following a recipe and logging it I already weigh everything and might as well do the spices. Usually they're like 1 gram and barely any calories in the end. If I use a dash here or there when I do my own recipes I won't really bother :smile:
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

I've wondered the same, but I don't think it really matters in the long run. I dropped all of my weight chewing multiple pieces of gum per day. I don't stress about it.

Me too. It is just one of those silly questions that have gone through my head as I am taking my daily 4 mile walk (chewing all the way).

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I always figured that you burned at least 5 calories doing all that chewing, so gum had to be a wash. I never log it.
  • Lil_Lanie
    Lil_Lanie Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Only when I've included them in my recipes on mfp
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    If I am using the recipe builder, I always add them in. It's handy for when I make the recipe again. I make a lot of spice heavy dishes though, chilis, and curries.... It does add up.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    no, that's a bit over the top IMO...
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    If it has sodium I'll sometimes log, but otherwise no.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    No I don't log my spices
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    Only if I'm going to share the recipe or refer back to the recipe myself. So, I will log spices for recipe purposes only.
  • DivineLotus
    DivineLotus Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I do when entering recipes. Otherwise no.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I track everything. At home this is easy because I never use condiments or spices. When I eat out I often have to edit calorie totals downward because I order things plain that normally include condiments.