Cardio effect on weight loss question

Options
Lola2248
Lola2248 Posts: 126 Member
Ok, I know to lose weight all you need is to eat less than you need etc....

But do any of you find cardio has helped speed up the weight loss?

I have got into weigh training lately, and do it 3 times a week, but very limited cardio.

And while I feel stronger and fitter, I'm not thinner or lighter. and I would like to be. So my question is, for those of you who have lost weight, was cardio a part of your weight loss plan.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    no...because I always fueled it.

If I maintain on 2400 calories without cardio and only eat 1900 calories, I will lose about a pound per week. If I add cardiovascular fitness and my maintenance moves to 2900 calories then I eat 2400 to lose about 1 Lb per week...

you should look at exercise and fitness for the sake of fitness. And of course, if you used exercise to make your deficit bigger, you'd probably lose weight a bit faster...but you'd be failing in fueling your fitness which ultimately leads to recovery issues, etc.

also, there is such a thing as too steep a deficit...just go search the "HALP....I lost my period" or "HALP...my hair is falling out" threads...lots of young women trying to lose weight "fast"

Thing is, weight loss is a slow process...you're just going to feck yourself trying to go fast.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Yes, for me it was, because I burn additional calories and therefore have a higher deficit. As you have alluded to, all that really matters is that you are consuming less than you are expending/burning. Exercise is for fitness, diet is for weight loss.
  • lucyholdcroft363
    lucyholdcroft363 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS fuel my fitness
  • amaried621
    amaried621 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Cardio and weights were extremely helpful in losing weight for me. It speeds up your metabolism and continues to do so after your done working out. Plus it just gets your body in better shape. Losing weight is more nutrition than exercise but I personally believe you are more successful if you do both.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    From September 2014 through late spring 2015 I lost ~50 of my 70 pounds to date without making major changes to my diet but by increasing my activity level from sedentary to active. Yes I trimmed some excesses from my intake, but the biggest change was brought about by getting active and fit again... a slow process at first but well worth the effort. My favourite activity is running with a preference for running mountain trails.

As I've become much more fit and therefore more efficient at running, and of course much lighter, I noticed that jacking up my activity level alone wasn't enough so I joined MFP to more accurately track my intake calories and that has helped me maintain an average 1kg a week loss even accounting for a couple of pauses along the way.

While I do some body weight strength training to maintain my upper body my fitness focus is on running and secondarily on cycling. I'm delighted with my fitness improvements. Neither strength training nor dietary change alone would have brought me to this point.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    It depends on your intensity and duration. It worked wonders for me initially but not so much recently since I'm more focus on fitness currently. See http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html/ and http://sportsscientists.com/2010/01/exercise-and-weight-loss/.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Lots of cardio, 3x a week weight training, and eating at a deficit allowed me to lose ~10 pounds a month for a long time. I ate back approximately 1/2 of my exercise calories to insure I was fueling my fitness. This worked wonders for me personally.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If you're using cardio to increase your calorie deficit then it will speed up loss. If you are doing it for health reasons and fueling it properly then it won't make much difference weight loss wise.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    It depends on how good I am with my diet. If I've got my intake under control, then no - cardio isn't part of my weight loss as I eat enough to compensate for calories burned through exercise. When my diet isn't as, uh, controlled as it should be, then yes... I sometimes exercise more to help create/increase my calorie deficit. Personally, the latter is a bad mindset to get in, but it happens none the less.
  • JMC3Terp
    JMC3Terp Posts: 2,803 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat back all your exercise calories, then it should help speed up. Plus building muscle is always a great way to get rid of fat which will help you in the long run.
  • diamante07cg
    diamante07cg Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've always read; "combining" cardio with strength training is the best way to go for weight loss....for many reasons. Try it for 30 day's and see if you don't see a big difference! Good luck!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Cardio while eating in a deficit allows me to eat more, which makes tolerating eating in a deficit easier.

If I had to choose between eating 1600 calories and not walking for an hour or 1800 calories and walking for an hour, I'd choose the latter because I would get to eat more.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    @kami3006 "Fueling it properly"

Please define. Hopefully you don't mean eating 100% of your cardio burn calories.

Hint: the fat we over-fat people carry is "proper" fuel. One can do significant cardio and maintain a calorie deficit and remain healthy while dropping weight.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »

Please define. Hopefully you don't mean eating 100% of your cardio burn calories.

Hint: the fat we over-fat people carry is "proper" fuel. One can do significant cardio and maintain a calorie deficit and remain healthy while dropping weight.

Properly is relative to whatever is going on with the individual. Some folks need to eat back some to all their cardio burns to feel good during their next workout. I'm one of those folks. I also never used cardio to increase my deficit to speed weight loss. If the next person wants to do that, no problem. There are a lot of folks who post on this board who eat low, don't eat back any exercise calories and have crappy workouts. I was simply pointing out that they need to be fueled.

Generally speaking, this site is designed for you to eat back your burned calories assuming you calculate them as accurately as possible so you can fuel your next workout and still be in deficit.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Its been very importnat for me as a part of getting fit and helping with the aspect jemh has pointed out.

Being able to fuel your workout properly doesnt mean you have to eat 100% of your calories back.

You do have to put a lot of work in to burn significant calories though. I'm all for a mix of cardio and weights.
  • Lola2248
    Lola2248 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    fab, thanks for the range of advice. Its a mini heatwave here in the UK right now, so I'm not walking to work, so I am feeling sluggish. I am thinking of a cardio session tonight and Saturday, and PT (Strength focussed with occasional HIIT sections) on Thursday and Friday.

I think it might be try and see what happens, as everyone is different. But I don't feel so guilty about not doing cardio :-D
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Lola2248 wrote: »
    fab, thanks for the range of advice. Its a mini heatwave here in the UK right now, so I'm not walking to work, so I am feeling sluggish. I am thinking of a cardio session tonight and Saturday, and PT (Strength focussed with occasional HIIT sections) on Thursday and Friday.

I think it might be try and see what happens, as everyone is different. But I don't feel so guilty about not doing cardio :-D

hi hun, i too am a livid walker but refuse too in this heat im from the midlands - yesterday it was actually quite cool in my living room so i found body combat on you tube and smashed it out that way ( whilst the kids were trashing the place) lol
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I do 2 to 3 hours cardio a day 7 days a week, works for me.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    To lose weight you need to maintain a consistent calorie deficit. A person can create this deficit in the following ways:

1) Through diet alone
    2) Through exercise alone
    3) Through a combination of diet and exercise

Many people prefer 3) as it involves a smaller reduction in food than 1) and less time commitment to exercise than 2).

So, cardio can add to your deficit which adds to you weight loss. However, some people find that exercise makes them hungrier and so end up eating more than the calories they burned through exercise thereby losing the advantage, from a weight loss perspective.

In addition, some people care more about maximising their sporting performance than the weight loss side of things. Peak performance relies on energy availability rather than energy deficit. Therefore they eat to fuel their training and take the hit on smaller to no weight loss.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »

That would be my plan, eat back the lot. In practice, once I'm back into an HM training cycle I can't eat enough volume to do that.