Going on Holiday

Options
Hiya all, summer is here! So I've booked a holiday with my family which happens in a few weeks in Greece for two weeks and I'm extremely excited! I'm not fussed about losing of course and I've got quite a toned physique and just generally feel good weighing 158 lbs at 182cm. However, I'd like to maintain or at least minimise the gain over the two weeks but of course I will be guesstimating most meals. I don't mind losing the weight afterwards as I know I can do it but I would like to minimise the amount of time post holiday dieting of course. Any tips on maintaining during a holiday?

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    How would you maintain at home with a broken food scale or whatever?
  • lucyholdcroft363
    lucyholdcroft363 Posts: 124 Member
    Options

Yeah I do see your point! Its just that at home id likely eat prepackaged foods and such and I would always know what exactly I was eating in terms of ingredients! We are going all inclusive so breakfast etc is served in the hotel.
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    For me it partly depends on what kind of holiday -- like for instance when my dh and I took our kids to Denmark (my dh's mother is Danish). We did SO MUCH walking on that trip, and we rented bikes in some places, that I didn't worry too much about what I was eating.

In contrast when we go to the beach (most summers) my very favorite thing to do is sit in a beach chair on the deck overlooking the ocean and read. Period. I always tell myself that I'll walk on the beach every night but I rarely do. Yeah, couch potato that's me. lol.

We're going for a week in July and this year I've told myself I WILL walk every morning and evening. I think this time I will do it too because we're in a different place and it's very near the boardwalk. So I'll go and do that in the morning definitely, then the beach in the evening.

So that's my tip -- exercise. Also, cut out calories where you can without sacrificing the holiday treats. Have a calorie-friendly dinner so that you can have ice cream on the boardwalk. Or have just a salad for lunch so you can get boardwalk fries. Or whatever applies to your own holiday.

Since it's only a holiday and not a new way of living (but wouldn't I LOVE to live on the beach year-round...sigh...) I'm not going to stress about it too much, and I'm not going to deprive myself of the food items that are unique to that vacation (i.e., ice cream and boardwalk fries).
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

Yeah I do see your point! Its just that at home id likely eat prepackaged foods and such and I would always know what exactly I was eating in terms of ingredients! We are going all inclusive so breakfast etc is served in the hotel.
    Yeah, but you probably have a ballpark idea on a lot of foods. Maybe be a little conservative with sauces, desserts, and booze and you're probably not going to do much damage.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I've never gained any actual fat weight on a vacation. I'm usually way more active than when I'm at home...walking around and seeing what there is to see, etc...in fact, I often lose a couple Lbs on vacation.
  • lucyholdcroft363
    Options
    Great - thanks guys!
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    be aware of airplane bloat though...it's a real thing. every time i fly I put on a good 5 lbs. I actually think that's what a lot of what people see when they get home from vacation.

I first discovered it after taking a weekend trip which was all business and no pleasure...I ate pretty minimally that weekend to do time constraints and just needing to get done what needed to get done...was a good 5 Lbs heavier when I returned home. I've since noticed this trend anytime I fly somewhere for vacation.
  • lucyholdcroft363
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    be aware of airplane bloat though...it's a real thing. every time i fly I put on a good 5 lbs. I actually think that's what a lot of what people see when they get home from vacation.

I first discovered it after taking a weekend trip which was all business and no pleasure...I ate pretty minimally that weekend to do time constraints and just needing to get done what needed to get done...was a good 5 Lbs heavier when I returned home. I've since noticed this trend anytime I fly somewhere for vacation.

Wow! Any idea why that happens?!
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Do the same as I will be doing when in Greece this year, take my running kit and run early mornings providing hangovers allow, do lots of swimming and walking. If you are more comfortable looking for foods that you can estimate easily, nothing beats a Greek salad on a warm evening, fresh fish and grilled meat are a specialty in most areas. Personally the food is part of the enjoyment of the holiday and cant resist the saganaki (grilled cheese) so I resign myself to losing a few lbs when I get back :-)
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Wow! Any idea why that happens?!

https://jaynemcallister.wordpress.com/2013/04/11/eating-to-avoid-inflight-bloating-dehydration-and-jetlag/