When should you add a protein powder?

Options
MusicalMelanie11
MusicalMelanie11 Posts: 71 Member
edited June 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Hey guys!

I've been having a hard time meeting my protein goal without throwing off my other macros or going over my calories. So under what circumstances is it good to add a protein powder? My boyfriend has always advised me to wait until I get into a good workout routine before adding one, but I've never bought one. I'm doing the C25k program and recently started doing some light strength training on the days I don't jog. My goal is to trim down and tone up, so it seems like protein would be really important for that.

So what do you think? Should I get a protein powder? If so, should I only use it on certain days, or post workout, or would it be okay to use every day just to help me reach my protein goal?

I've been looking at this one because it seems to be a decent amount of protein, low calorie, and relatively inexpensive. Would this be a good option?

16569098?wid=480&hei=480

Replies

• pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    The whole point of supplements is to "fill in the gaps", so the right time to use them is when something is missing.

IIFYM, feel free to use it when/how you want.

Personally, I prefer to get my macros from food.

16g/70 cals is decent. Price wise, you typically get about 25-30g/$1 for the major brands.

Your boyfriend is probably thinking about the anabolic uptake window, but that isn't your current issue ... seems like your missing daily on protein, so its a general dietary deficiency.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Whenever you don't hit your protein macro!

ETA: or spending $$$$ on lean meats. So I usually have a good scoop per day.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    Whenever you don't hit your protein macro!

ETA: or spending $$$$ on lean meats. So I usually have a good scoop per day.

Yup, there is no magic. If you aren't getting your protein through real food, then drink a shake. Timing is basically irrelevant.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Use protein powder to fill in your protein needs if you'd like, and would rather have a shake/smoothie instead of food sometimes.

There's no set point in your diet/fitness where you need to add them in.

I'm a vegetarian, I supplement my daily protein intake with shakes/bars all the time.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    You should add it whenever you want. I drink a protein shake everyday even if I reach my Protien goal. A little extra protein won't hurt you unless you have a health issue that would cause you to limit your protein intake.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    If you are an active person, protein powder can be used out of convenience to help you hit your protein macro (0.6 to 0.8 grams protein per 1 lb. bodyweight).

But Six Star is a horrible brand, taste-wise. Don't fall into the trap of buying gender specific designer protein powders either... There is no such thing. Check out PES Select Protein, which has a phenomenal taste.
  • LolaKarwowski
    LolaKarwowski Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I started drinking them when as soon as I realized I wasn't hitting my protein goal.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    What is your protein goal? Are you strength training? Do you have problems feeling full and satisfied with the foods you currently eat?
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is ONLY a means to hit your daily required protein goal, that's it.

It won't make you fat, skinny, more muscular, etc.

Personally, I avoid the brands of protein Wal-Mart sells.

I only use Optimum Nutrition, Dymatize, Cellucor, or Quest. All of which can be found locally, and have an amazing taste.

• MusicalMelanie11
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    What is your protein goal? Are you strength training? Do you have problems feeling full and satisfied with the foods you currently eat?

I used a couple of different calculators to figure out what to set my macros at. The IIFYM one gave me 120 grams of protein as a goal, and another one gave me 105g. I have started doing some light-ish strength training 3 days a week with the intention of working myself up to being able to do more intense workouts. I usually don't have a problem feeling full, and if I do it usually is just because I need to drink more water. I'm just used to having a more carb-focused diet, and now that I'm trying to reach my macros and still trying to lose a little, it's a lot harder. My calorie goal is 1200, and I'm just finding it really difficult to fit 100+ grams of protein into that without throwing off my other macros.
  • MusicalMelanie11
    edited June 2015
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    If you are an active person, protein powder can be used out of convenience to help you hit your protein macro (0.6 to 0.8 grams protein per 1 lb. bodyweight).

But Six Star is a horrible brand, taste-wise. Don't fall into the trap of buying gender specific designer protein powders either... There is no such thing. Check out PES Select Protein, which has a phenomenal taste.

I actually wasn't looking at this one for gender specificity, thanks for the warning though! :smile: I'm trying to fit more protein into less calories, and 15 grams/70 calories seemed like a pretty good ratio, of course, I could be wrong. Most other brands I came across are more expensive for less protein/more calories per serving. I like the one you suggested! 24 grams for 110 calories seems good. But it certainly looks expensive, hehe... Where do you purchase it?
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I use an unflavored no sugar added whey powder in my morning smoothies. I use MRM brand and it has almost no flavor so you can add it to anything. It really helps me meet my protein macros.
  • sixxpoint
    edited June 2015
    Options

I actually wasn't looking at this one for gender specificity, thanks for the warning though! :smile: I'm trying to fit more protein into less calories, and 15 grams/70 calories seemed like a pretty good ratio, of course, I could be wrong. Most other brands I came across are more expensive for less protein/more calories per serving. I like the one you suggested! 24 grams for 110 calories seems good. But it certainly looks expensive, hehe... Where do you purchase it?

Protein is 4 calories per gram. So 30 grams of protein will be 120 calories. Add in any dietary fat and carbohydrates, and this figure can be more. With protein powder, most hover around 110 -180 TOTAL calories per scoop, and about 18-30 grams protein on average (including any added dietary fat and carbs). The dietary fat and carb values will differ among the brands, but the amount is usually negligible. Don't get caught up in minute details like this... Flavor and cost should be your prime focus.

Budget protein powders like Six Star, and those sold in Walmart are awful tasting and are notorious for causing greater gastric distress (per reviews). Certain brands spike their protein powder with amino acids like Glycine and Taurine to boost the stated protein content. The label might say 30 grams of protein, but with the added aminos, you're really only getting something like 19 grams. The budget brands that sell for a ridiculously low price are usually more susceptible to spiking than other brands. You get what you pay for in most cases. Just be careful when reading the label to catch any ingredient ending in -ine.

Bodybuilding.com and Getrippednutrition.com are good sites with decent prices. They regularly have sales and both accept coupon codes.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Certain brands spike their protein powder with amino acids like Glycine and Taurine to boost the stated protein content.

So that got me looking and, lo and behold...

https://blog.priceplow.com/supplement-news/allmax-hexapro-lawsuit

The law firm’s lab data shows that a total of 17.914g bound protein, presumably from the 6-protein blend.
    Bodybuilding.com and Getrippednutrition.com are good sites with decent prices. They regularly have sales and both accept coupon codes.

Bodybuilding.com sells AllMax. I use HexaPro. Trying to sort out if I should switch or not.
  • sixxpoint
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Allmax is sold by tons of sites. Don't single out one vendor for selling their product. And yes, the community over there is shocked at that lawsuit. Reputable brands like Allmax, who sell very pricy protein (too pricy for me), do usually not try to take shortcuts like that. I was surprised as well.

Moral of the story... read the label and be wary of anything sketchy or any company that pushes "proprietary blends".
  • MusicalMelanie11
    Options

Protein is 4 calories per gram. So 30 grams of protein will be 120 calories. Add in any dietary fat and carbohydrates, and this figure can be more. With protein powder, most hover around 110 -180 TOTAL calories per scoop, and about 18-30 grams protein on average (including any added dietary fat and carbs). The dietary fat and carb values will differ among the brands, but the amount is usually negligible. Don't get caught up in minute details like this... Flavor and cost should be your prime focus.

Budget protein powders like Six Star, and those sold in Walmart are awful tasting and are notorious for causing greater gastric distress (per reviews). Certain brands spike their protein powder with amino acids like Glycine and Taurine to boost the stated protein content. The label might say 30 grams of protein, but with the added aminos, you're really only getting something like 19 grams. The budget brands that sell for a ridiculously low price are usually more susceptible to spiking than other brands. You get what you pay for in most cases. Just be careful when reading the label to catch any ingredient ending in -ine.

That's very helpful, thank you so much for the detailed explanation! What you've said makes sense. I'll be on the lookout for sales. Thank you! :smile:
  • Mr_Knight
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Allmax is sold by tons of sites. Don't single out one vendor for selling their product.

I didn't single out the vendor - you did - I just responded.

The whole point of being a "reputable vendor" is so customers don't have to read labels in excruciating detail or pore over legal filings.
  • sixxpoint
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Allmax is sold by tons of sites. Don't single out one vendor for selling their product.

The whole point of being a "reputable vendor" is so customers don't have to read labels in excruciating detail or pore over legal filings.

No, I didnt... also, you're confusing reputable vendor with reputable brand.

Take a chill pill, dude.

That's very helpful, thank you so much for the detailed explanation! What you've said makes sense. I'll be on the lookout for sales. Thank you! :smile:

You're very welcome!!
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Sprouts brand protein powder that is 18 for 90cal. Its whey protein and is only $20 for a big container. The strawberry tastes fake (drinking it right now) but the chocolate is good. I like to do this

1 harkins cup of ice 3/4 way up
    1 scoop protein powder
    2 tbs splenda
    1 tbs instant coffee
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 cup water

Blend or food process the ice into snow consistency. Add the dry ingredients blend again. Add as much water as needed to loosen it up and make it frothy. The whey protein makes it super light and fluffy so it may or may not fit back in that harkins cup.
  • Mr_Knight
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

No, I didnt... also, you're confusing reputable vendor with reputable brand.

You claimed: "Bodybuilding.com and Getrippednutrition.com are good sites with decent prices." That was the first mention of them - from you, not from me.

They can't be good sites if 8 months after a lawsuit they are still knowingly selling spiked products.