My review of Quest Protein Bars

Options

Replies

• shawnmstout
    shawnmstout Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    I've had to really cut back on eating Quest bars. They constipate me, especially if I eat them every day.

Some advice, make sure you drink water with them because they will do this if you dont, it is like it sucks all the water out of your system.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Yes, when I drink a ton of water with them it helps, but it doesn't eliminate (pun intended!) the problem.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to give you some feedback on these bars. In my honest opinion they work great, good protein and fiber, low calorie and sugars. It has worked too good for me so I am going to be limiting my intake of these bars until i can get my calories up (I was at 800-1000cal/day) and through some helpful guidance from users here I have seen the errors in my ways.

However, this doesn't mean that this wouldn't help other people with their cravings for sweet stuff and to be honest i love the flavors. No I don't work for quest or anyone else associated with fitness (I am a computer programmer), I just want to give back to the people that have helped me.

Let me know your feedback and opinions on what I have stated, I am always open to other people's opinions.
    Another great filling option for a sweet tooth is plain greek yogurt mixed with chocolate pb2 and stevia.
  • shawnmstout
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    I really wanted to use Quest bars for that nice protein boost, but even if I am drinking plenty of water, the darned things always upset my stomach. And I am one of those people that can eat anything without getting an upset stomach (I credit this to growing up in the west/southwest where salsa is a basic food group). But Quest bars and I just don't get along, sadly enough.

For those who CAN eat them and don't like the high price, I noticed that Trader Joe's has started carrying a few of the more popular flavors (Cookies and Cream, S'Mores, and Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough) for $2.39 each.

It may be the whey protein, some people get allergic reactions to it, how are you with whey?
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Coconut Cashew is my favorite and I eat them often, especially when I'm working and I'm strapped for time. Double chocolate chunk is good also and I use as a sort of dessert/treat (but with benefits). :laugh:
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I can't eat these things. I have tried the cookies and cream, smores and cookie dough. My husband loves them and I really wanted to like them, but there is something about the after taste that I just cannot handle. I prefer the Think Thin brand of bars, specifically the Think Thin Lean bars.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I've tried many different flavors and hated them all. Too me they are too chewy (yes I have tried warning them up). They taste too artificially sweet for me. I see people rant and rave about them but I personally hate them.
  • shawnmstout
    Options
    One thing i think we can all agree on, all of our taste buds are different, what may taste good to me may tasty nasty to someone else.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    One thing i think we can all agree on, all of our taste buds are different, what may taste good to me may tasty nasty to someone else.

Well, I think most of (or all of) us also agree that the macros are good and they're reasonably filling. So hey - if it works for you... I was just disappointed, is all. After so many positive reviews, I thought I'd found my staple snack.
  • _BeBrave
    _BeBrave Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Coconut Cashew is my favorite and I eat them often, especially when I'm working and I'm strapped for time. Double chocolate chunk is good also and I use as a sort of dessert/treat (but with benefits). :laugh:

Coconut Cashew is also my favorite and the only flavor I eat religiously. Otherwise I don't bother spending my money on them.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options

Well, I think most of (or all of) us also agree that the macros are good and they're reasonably filling. So hey - if it works for you... I was just disappointed, is all. After so many positive reviews, I thought I'd found my staple snack.

I think maybe what you were missing is that people say they taste good for a protein bar and considering their macros etc. I think protein bars are pretty uniformly gross but most of the Quest flavours are pretty palatable for me and they're way better tasting than anything I make with protein powders IMO. I don't mind the chewiness.

I have one for breakfast every morning because 20g of protein keeps me plenty full until lunch and they're tasty with coffee and it means I don't have to prepare anything in the morning. Works for me.
  • JMC3Terp
    JMC3Terp Posts: 2,803 Member
    Options
    For Me, Double Chocolate Chunk is fantastic. Smores and Cookies & Cream are both good but can get old after awhile. People definitely have individual opinions on these though.

Smores - Really good when heated up
    Double Chocolate Chunk - The absolute Best
  • Jaxxie1181
    Jaxxie1181 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I like some of the flavors (it can be a little hit or miss), but much prefer the Think Thin bars.
  • 6205db
    6205db Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Tasty tip: I started putting mine in the microwave for a few seconds - they get soft like a fresh baked cookie and now I love them!!

I can only have HALF a bar at a time, otherwise the fiber kills my bowels.

Try warming them up for a bit!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    t6205db wrote: »
    Tasty tip: I started putting mine in the microwave for a few seconds - they get soft like a fresh baked cookie and now I love them!!

I can only have HALF a bar at a time, otherwise the fiber kills my bowels.

Try warming them up for a bit!

Even when I warm them up I can't eat more than a few bites before I want to toss it in the garbage.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »

I think maybe what you were missing is that people say they taste good for a protein bar and considering their macros etc.

I understand what you're saying, but no, that's not how it was presented. People were actually suggesting you could eat a cookie dough Quest in place of an actual cookie and you'd be just as satisfied. So not true. Fuller? Yes. But when I'm jonesing for sugar, I'm usually not actually hungry anyway.

And there are reviews on Amazon that make them seem like Ambrosia from the gods themselves.

There's still a sale going on at my local store. I might try another flavor or two while they're cheap, but I'm not going full-in like I did on the last batch I bought, that's for sure.
  • chandelierbee
    chandelierbee Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    So far I've tried the Oreo and white chocolate/raspberry. I love the white choco/raspberry a little bit more but I'd definitely recommend both.
  • 6205db
    6205db Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My #1 best tasting protein bar is Musclepharm Combat Crunch Bars.... I highly recommend those!
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »

I think maybe what you were missing is that people say they taste good for a protein bar and considering their macros etc.

I understand what you're saying, but no, that's not how it was presented. People were actually suggesting you could eat a cookie dough Quest in place of an actual cookie and you'd be just as satisfied. So not true. Fuller? Yes. But when I'm jonesing for sugar, I'm usually not actually hungry anyway.

And there are reviews on Amazon that make them seem like Ambrosia from the gods themselves.

There's still a sale going on at my local store. I might try another flavor or two while they're cheap, but I'm not going full-in like I did on the last batch I bought, that's for sure.

Well see, that may be true for you, but not for everyone. There are times when I would prefer a Quest bar over an actual desert. To each their own.