It's snowy and freezing! How do you get excited to go to th

Options
I keep saying today is the day, and I still haven't set foot in the gym. What do you do to get enough umph to get there? :blushing:

Replies

• thummell
    Options
    I keep saying today is the day, and I still haven't set foot in the gym. What do you do to get enough umph to get there? :blushing:
  • ConnieLynn
    ConnieLynn Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Put one foot in front of the other. Put yourself in automatic mode and don't think about it, just make a statement: I am going today. First put on your work out clothes, shoes, grab your water....

Once you start moving, pretty soon you will be at the gym and you will not have waisted all that time in your head.

Hope that helps,

Connie Lynn
  • dhayes
    dhayes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    You just have to go!!!!! Getting in the door is the hardest part...Tell yourself you are only going to workout for a limited time say 15 minutes of cardio just to get in the habit of going.. work your way up to 30-45 minutes gradually... and then add some weights later.
  • NurseBarb
    NurseBarb Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    An exercise buddy is the best way. I don't have one now but I used to years ago and it helped tremendously. I just went to the rec center yesterday here at my college and it was so big and exciting that it motivated me to want to go. Check your local university because you can get a membership just like to any gym and if it's anything like mine it's like a small exercising city complete with olympic pool!
  • zmonster
    zmonster Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am at the gym every morning when it opens. I find that if I can get my workout done before work my success rate is 100%!:happy: Otherwise, I can come up with a million reasons as to why I cannot workout in the evening. Another bonus for doing it at 5 in the a.m. is that I do not think about how I look, give me a hat and I am rolling!
  • cottrell22
    Options
    I tell myself that I will go for just 15 minutes but when I'm there I usually stay for a lot longer, but if I'm too tired and don't at least I did something. Even when your tired go ahead and go, tell yourself it's only for a few minutes (something is better than nothing) and you might find out that you have more energy than you thought. And if you have someone to go with that can make it a lot easier, knowing someone is counting on you being there.
  • lockedcj7
    lockedcj7 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Try running outside! If that doesn't motivate you to use the gym, nothing will. I did this before Christmas and nearly got frostbite on my lungs. Now I love the gym. The advice about having an appointment to keep with a trainer or workout partner is really good.
  • thummell
    Options
    Thanks All! I am on my way. I appreciate your inspiration.