Grapefruit DOES burn fat! But.....

Options
13»

Replies

• hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I may be an exception to this rule, I can eat one grapefruit and weigh at least one pound lighter immediately afterwards.
    How, may you ask?
    Well, the actual taste and acidity of the grapefruit is unpleasant enough to trigger my gag reflux and make me throw up whatever contents were originally in my stomach.

Seriously, I don't know how people eat that stuff xP
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    mrsbaldee wrote: »
    I loathe grapefruit.

So. Much. This.

I will never understand why people eat the stuff. I can at least see the value in other foods I don't like, but grapefruit tastes how I would imagine battery acid to taste.

I'd rather be fat than be forced to suffer eating even a single grapefruit much less 40+.
  • geminix07
    geminix07 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Me ne
    mrsbaldee wrote: »
    I loathe grapefruit.

Same. Even if it DID burn fat in any capacity, I would NOT eat it.

Me neither for me is just bad
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    [Puts Pharmacology graduate hat on]!!!!! - The actual chemical is naringenin. It's long been isolated, and there is plenty of in vitro tests done that prove it is a 'fat-busting' chemical - it's basically a free-radical scavenger. So, there is solid scientific evidence for the chemical itself, the documentary was just saying all these grapefruit diets can't possibly be actually relying on grapefruit consumption for their weight loss success, because you'd need to consume 5000 calories of grapefruit, in order for your body to accumulate the necessary concentration of this chemical, in your blood stream! So, somewhere there is a grain of truth in these people who claimed grapefruit was a superfood - it's just that the science proves the theory doesn't hold up to the diet plans that Gwyneth, Kylie and co claim caused them to lose weight!

So then why isn't someone in the diet industry selling this chemical yet? Is it too much volume for a supplement even in isolate form?
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Just for those who aren't aware grapefruit should not be eaten if you take certain medications because it can interfere with the absorption of certain meds.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

46334112.jpg
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Just for those who aren't aware grapefruit should not be eaten if you take certain medications because it can interfere with the absorption of certain meds.

Yep, I love grapefruit but can't eat it. :disappointed:
  • SteveMoto
    SteveMoto Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    The only magic fat burner was diet pills before they took the speed/crank out of them.
  • 460mustang
    460mustang Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have a red ruby grapefruit tree in my front yard, they are delicious. No sugar needed, but I don't think I could eat 40 of them a day!
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Snap. Saw that as well. And kale helps keep your sight healthy for an extra few years by stopping the cones and rods in your eyes from deteriorating. As do kiwi, spinach and eggs. Don't like the idea of the German way of eating kale though, cooked in sausage fat for hours.

That might be the only way I would eat kale. Ick.
  • diamante07cg
    diamante07cg Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I always "thought" I hated grapefruit because of its extreme bitterness. But if you peel the skin off each segment, it takes away the bitter and your left with the sweet part of the fruit! (Actually peels real easy too!) Also just ran across this. *Grapefruit cooler recipe:
    8oz. Sugar-free ginger ale
    1/2 cup grapefruit juice
    haven't tried it yet though........
  • jessspurr
    jessspurr Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I inhale grapefruit essential oil as aromatherapy after eating as it helps me control the urge to continue eating or if I feel like I'm going to eat out of boredom or eat emotionally. It has nothing to do physiologically with weight loss, but I think it helps me eat less.