Trouble sleeping after working out

Options
I was wondering if anyone else worked out late at night like I do. I go partly because there are few people there, and I feel more comfortable if there isn't a bunch of meatheads hanging around on machines I wanna use. I hate the feeling though when I am wide awake afterwards. I get home and take a hot shower and try my best to relax and fall asleep and it never happens! I have the hardest time falling asleep when I work out so late. Any other's have this problem, and what did you do to fix it?

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I think that's a common problem that affects many people. Maybe if you gulp down a protein shake or cottage cheese or something right before bed, it might help knock you out (provided that you've planned your day to fit that it in, calorie-wise).
  • celticfan2011
    celticfan2011 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Depending on what I do, I have experienced this too. When my workout consists of cardio, I go through this. I can't think of anything that can speed up sleeping. You wake your body when you exercise and sometimes it takes a while for it to want to rest. It is the activity (metablism increased) that needs time to become (RMR) reting metabolic rate. I am sure there are medical remedies though.
  • jerjan
    jerjan Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Yup It happens to me all the time! Yesterday I ended up going to sleep around 2 A.M. :frown:
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    A bit off the topic, but tangentially related - I guess that's why an intense cardio first thing in the morning is a great way to kick start the day.
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Here's a good article re: sleeping and working out. Personally I find that if I work out within two hours of bedtime, I am wide awake until the wee hours of the morning.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/mental-health/sleep/basics/how-to-fall-asleep1.htm
  • jenthestrawberry
    jenthestrawberry Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I also often end up working out late and have tried a number of things to solve the problem of sleeplessness. I find that if my Fiance gives me a massage after my workouts, I can fall to sleep much easier! If he's busy or whatnot, drinking herbal tea helps, ambient music like Delirium or Amythistium can help turn my brain off, and when all else fails, I take a children's dose of benadryl.
  • 1234lbsgone
    1234lbsgone Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Yup and that's exactly why I prefer to workout in the morning. Anything more than a walk after dinner keeps me up all night.