My review of Quest Protein Bars

Options

Replies

• aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    hockey7fan wrote: »
    I like them a lot. I typically eat one for breakfast every day. They also help when I have a chocolate craving. I've heard you can "bake" the chocolate chip cookie dough one to make cookies so I'm going to see if I can look up how to do that and try it.

Its very easy! Just cut one into like 8 pieces, squish a little and bake at 350 or so for about 5 min (they burn quick). They puff up like real choc chip cookies.

And I am in the camp of preferring some of these to actual desserts. Tastes vary wildly, so everyone should really just try if they are interested. I hate all things spicy - mayo is all I can handle - doesnt mean there are not people who will beat me up saying how good it is... To each their own!
  • shawnmstout
    shawnmstout Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    JMC3Terp wrote: »
    For Me, Double Chocolate Chunk is fantastic. Smores and Cookies & Cream are both good but can get old after awhile. People definitely have individual opinions on these though.

Smores - Really good when heated up
    Double Chocolate Chunk - The absolute Best

I don't know if you noticed or not but the chocolate bars are the ones with the least amount of calories, double bonus :smile:
  • shawnmstout
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    One thing i think we can all agree on, all of our taste buds are different, what may taste good to me may tasty nasty to someone else.

Well, I think most of (or all of) us also agree that the macros are good and they're reasonably filling. So hey - if it works for you... I was just disappointed, is all. After so many positive reviews, I thought I'd found my staple snack.

I think maybe what you were missing is that people say they taste good for a protein bar and considering their macros etc.

I understand what you're saying, but no, that's not how it was presented. People were actually suggesting you could eat a cookie dough Quest in place of an actual cookie and you'd be just as satisfied. So not true. Fuller? Yes. But when I'm jonesing for sugar, I'm usually not actually hungry anyway.

And there are reviews on Amazon that make them seem like Ambrosia from the gods themselves.

There's still a sale going on at my local store. I might try another flavor or two while they're cheap, but I'm not going full-in like I did on the last batch I bought, that's for sure.

I never really craved sweets so i cant actually comment on this, however i do like them :) I wouldnt go full in either, try a few and see if you like and what you like, as i said before, everyone's tastebuds are different
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy Quest bars, but I do warm them for 15 seconds in the microwave. Guess I need to try the Double Chocolate Chunk, seems like a lot of you are liking that one? I can use the cookie dough one to kill a cookie craving plus boost my macros, I tend to not get quite enough protein so this helps.

Faves: Cookie Dough, Cookies n Crème, Coconut Cashew, White Chocolate Raspberry, Mint Chocolate Chip, and Smores
  • shawnmstout
    Options
    One thing i think we can all agree on, all of our taste buds are different, what may taste good to me may tasty nasty to someone else.

Well, I think most of (or all of) us also agree that the macros are good and they're reasonably filling. So hey - if it works for you... I was just disappointed, is all. After so many positive reviews, I thought I'd found my staple snack.

I think maybe what you were missing is that people say they taste good for a protein bar and considering their macros etc.

I understand what you're saying, but no, that's not how it was presented. People were actually suggesting you could eat a cookie dough Quest in place of an actual cookie and you'd be just as satisfied. So not true. Fuller? Yes. But when I'm jonesing for sugar, I'm usually not actually hungry anyway.

And there are reviews on Amazon that make them seem like Ambrosia from the gods themselves.

There's still a sale going on at my local store. I might try another flavor or two while they're cheap, but I'm not going full-in like I did on the last batch I bought, that's for sure.

Well see, that may be true for you, but not for everyone. There are times when I would prefer a Quest bar over an actual desert. To each their own.

+1, i crave quest bars :)
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options

Well see, that may be true for you, but not for everyone. There are times when I would prefer a Quest bar over an actual desert. To each their own.

+1, i crave quest bars :)

Same. I ate two today :flushed: (Double Chocolate Chunk, of course)
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    My gym has them on sale, $1.99/bar. Pretty good when comparing costs to other brands. I like chocolate chip cookie dough and s'mores. I think the s'mores would go GREAT with vanilla bean ice cream. But I also think that would kind of defeat the purpose ... :smile:
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Coconut Cashew is my favorite and I eat them often, especially when I'm working and I'm strapped for time. Double chocolate chunk is good also and I use as a sort of dessert/treat (but with benefits). :laugh:

Are they more coconutty tasting or more cashewy tasting? I don't really like cashews, but I adore coconut. I'm afraid to try that flavor.

I tried the Combat Crunch bars this week. I liked the texture and the size of them, but found them too sweet for my taste.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    Shawn, in response to your earlier question - I have no food-based allergies or sensitivities. Whey isn't an issue for me in other foods, so I'm still not sure about the unhappy relationship between me and Quest bars. Not to derail this conversation, but I see that Quest also has protein powders, including a new flavor (Salted Caramel) that caught my eye. I may give that a shot - it seems like there are a lot of recipes I could play with.

I tried their chocolate protein powder and hated it. My GNC got the little individual flavor packets in to try, so I tried the peanut butter, strawberry, and vanilla. The strawberry was just okay. I thought the peanut butter and vanilla were both terrific. I made them both with plain almond milk.

The thing I like about Quest protein powder is that it's very thick and creamy, so it's filling.

I'm going to wait until they get in the individual packets for the new flavors and try those too. I'm curious about both of them.

• blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I used to eat the Quest bars but kind of got burned out on them, especially the consistency. I've recently discovered 22 Days protein bars .... organic, all natural, plant-based, gluten-free, soy-free. They don't have anywhere near the number of flavors that Quest has, but the ones they do have are delicious (IMHO) and the texture is much, much better!
  • Pootler74
    Pootler74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    We love the Cookie Dough flavour in our house. It really is just like cookie dough. Strawberry Cheesecake and Cookies n Cream are also popular.

Lemon Cream Pie is chemical tasting, and the Brownie one is weirdly salty. I really wanted to like it, but will probably never buy it again. The Berry flavour one is not worth the calories at all. Peanut Butter and Chocolate is usually (depending on which country it comes from I think) one of the lower calorie ones but doesn't taste it.

They can be expensive but I almost never pay full price for mine. The less popular flavours can be bought short dated or out of date at half price or less online, and Amazon sells the other flavours cheaper than anywhere else. Per gram of protein they can work out cheaper than meat, which is why I originally bought them. Now I'm just plain addicted. :)
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Coconut Cashew is my favorite and I eat them often, especially when I'm working and I'm strapped for time. Double chocolate chunk is good also and I use as a sort of dessert/treat (but with benefits). :laugh:

Are they more coconutty tasting or more cashewy tasting? I don't really like cashews, but I adore coconut. I'm afraid to try that flavor.

I tried the Combat Crunch bars this week. I liked the texture and the size of them, but found them too sweet for my taste.

I’d say they’re much more coconuty than anything else. I can barely taste cashews. Do you know Bounty chocolate bars? They’re the same thing for me, taste-wise, but less sweet and more chewy.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I really wanted to use Quest bars for that nice protein boost, but even if I am drinking plenty of water, the darned things always upset my stomach. And I am one of those people that can eat anything without getting an upset stomach (I credit this to growing up in the west/southwest where salsa is a basic food group). But Quest bars and I just don't get along, sadly enough.

For those who CAN eat them and don't like the high price, I noticed that Trader Joe's has started carrying a few of the more popular flavors (Cookies and Cream, S'Mores, and Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough) for $2.39 each.

Sugar alcohols perhaps?
  • Jenfromtheblock84
    Jenfromtheblock84 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this thread, I've been using shakes as a meal substitute but I think I'll buy some of these to switch things up every now and again. Much better marcos.
  • ercarroll311
    ercarroll311 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    These were a great find for me a few months ago. I tend to get a dessert craving at night. These taste good, in my opinion, and fill me up so my night time snacking is curtailed. I love Cookie Dough and Cookies n Cream, just for PBJ to try!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I really wanted to use Quest bars for that nice protein boost, but even if I am drinking plenty of water, the darned things always upset my stomach. And I am one of those people that can eat anything without getting an upset stomach (I credit this to growing up in the west/southwest where salsa is a basic food group). But Quest bars and I just don't get along, sadly enough.

For those who CAN eat them and don't like the high price, I noticed that Trader Joe's has started carrying a few of the more popular flavors (Cookies and Cream, S'Mores, and Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough) for $2.39 each.

Sugar alcohols perhaps?

Yep. I have kinda narrowed it down to a possible issue with erythritols. I struggle sometimes to get enough protein (I am one of those short, small-boned types who is at the 1200 calories per day level) so I really am hoping I can find a workable solution via bars or powder!

I am thinking I may also play around with making Quest bars at home - a lot of the recipes floating around the web look good.

@PeachyCarol - thanks for the Quest protein powder review. I'm glad you gave good marks to the vanilla flavor - I could care less about the chocolate variety anyway (Yes. It's true. I don't care for chocolate), but I am hoping that salted caramel turns out to be good.

Some of the Quest bars have sucralose etc instead of the erythritol, so if you're not opposed to that it might be worth investigating. Varies by flavour.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I tried these after a friend's similar review - raving particularly about the taste. You can always find them on some sale - I find them constantly around $1 at either GNC or Amazon.
  • geministyle
    geministyle Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've been eating Quest Bars for a couple of years and have tried a lot of the flavors. My favorites are some of the ones other people seem to hate. ;)

Coconut Cashew
    Banana Nut Muffin
    Cinnamon Roll
    Raspberry White Chocolate

NOT a fan of any of the chocolate ones I've tried or the Peanut Butter Supreme.

I tried their Protein Chips once - they tasted like powdered milk. :(