How many calories are OK to not eat back?

Options
2»

Replies

• Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I try to eat net 1200 calories, but I think if you skip one day nothing will happen:)
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Overall, it is important to eat back at least some of your workout calories. This doesnt mean, however, every time you have a killer workout you should order a Papa Johns Pizza. Make sure when you eat back your workout calories you stick to proteins (like fish and chicken) as well as veggies or wheat based carbs (in moderation of course). Those types of foods are what your muscles and body needs when you are working out.

Hope that helps :)
  • pekay
    pekay Posts: 5
    Options
    Kel hunny, you seem to be missing the point, if you are exercising and dieting to lose the weight then good for you!!, if you have not already done so you need to work out your BMR (basic metabolic rate) the amount of calories you need to consume just to maintain your current weight.
    I dont want to insult your intelligence but if your BMR is 2000 cals, then for every 2000 cals deficit you lose a pound..... so you either reduce your calorie intake or step up the exercise to achieve this. ie, 2000 cals a day for 7 days = 14000 cals, you stay the same weight, 1714 cals a day for 7 days = 12000 you lose a pound in a week. so if you burn 500 a day in cardio exercise and dont eat it back = faster weight loss.
    Once you know your BMR all you need to do to drop the weight is stay in deficit, if you work out and burn say 500 cals its a bonus to your weight loss, dont look at it as extra calories you can consume, by all means treat yourself if you feel like it, like some have said, unless you feel weak tired or faint then leave the extra cals alone and reap the benefits.
    Dont forget you will need to adjust your BMR as you lose the weight.

Actually, BMR is how many calories you need to survive just laying in bed all day, not one bit active. Not to maintain.
  • pekay
    Options
    Kel hunny, you seem to be missing the point, if you are exercising and dieting to lose the weight then good for you!!, if you have not already done so you need to work out your BMR (basic metabolic rate) the amount of calories you need to consume just to maintain your current weight.
    I dont want to insult your intelligence but if your BMR is 2000 cals, then for every 2000 cals deficit you lose a pound..... so you either reduce your calorie intake or step up the exercise to achieve this. ie, 2000 cals a day for 7 days = 14000 cals, you stay the same weight, 1714 cals a day for 7 days = 12000 you lose a pound in a week. so if you burn 500 a day in cardio exercise and dont eat it back = faster weight loss.
    Once you know your BMR all you need to do to drop the weight is stay in deficit, if you work out and burn say 500 cals its a bonus to your weight loss, dont look at it as extra calories you can consume, by all means treat yourself if you feel like it, like some have said, unless you feel weak tired or faint then leave the extra cals alone and reap the benefits.

Actually, BMR is how many calories you need to survive just laying in bed all day, not one bit active. Not to maintain.

Yeah sorry, i forgot to mention that bit with all the other info. there is a calculation you can do which take into consideration your activity level.

English BMR Formula
    Women: BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x weight in pounds ) + ( 4.7 x height in inches ) - ( 4.7 x age in years )
    Men: BMR = 66 + ( 6.23 x weight in pounds ) + ( 12.7 x height in inches ) - ( 6.8 x age in year )

Metric BMR Formula
    Women: BMR = 655 + ( 9.6 x weight in kilos ) + ( 1.8 x height in cm ) - ( 4.7 x age in years )
    Men: BMR = 66 + ( 13.7 x weight in kilos ) + ( 5 x height in cm ) - ( 6.8 x age in years )

On the other hand, who lays in bed all day anyway, so if you monitor it at that rate......Bonus!!! lol.

use to Harris-Benedict equation to work out activity levels

To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9
  • WolffEarl
    WolffEarl Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Pekay

Metric BMR Formula
    Women: BMR = 655 + ( 9.6 x weight in kilos ) + ( 1.8 x height in cm ) - ( 4.7 x age in years )
    Men: BMR = 66 + ( 13.7 x weight in kilos ) + ( 5 x height in cm ) - ( 6.8 x age in years )

Just used this metric formula for men plus the activity level multiplier plus my desired lb loss per week to see what it would come up with for recommended daily calorie consumption and it was cool to see that between this formula here and what Mfp calculates for me it was only a difference of about 10 calories. So that was awesome.
    thanks for the formula, it is reassuring to see that different methods come to similar conclusions.
  • pekay
    Options

Sorry but I don't really agree with this. BMR Stands for Base Metabolic Rate. Base meaning (as otm25) said: Laying in bed all day. Once you have calculated your BMR you need to add your exercise factor which this program can do for you automatically. Once it does that it will ask you how many pounds you want to lose per week, it will then give you a goal. It is your aim to get as close to that goal as possible (as close to 0 net calories). If you exercise and burn 500 cals for example you should be aiming to eat back those 500 cals because if you don't your net cals will be way too low and your body will go into starvation mode. Example: My daily cal intake is 1750 (with my deficit already taken into account). I run 10km and burn 1000 cals. My new cal intake for that day would now become 2750 (remembering if I was trying to maintain my weight it would be 3750). It is now my goal to get my net cals as close to 0 as I can.

Now generally those people with a lot more weight to lose can get away with not eating back their exercise cals because they have a lot to lose but at some stage they will plateau and their body's metabolism will shut down and start storing fat and eating away at muscle (that's why you might still see weight loss its just not fat loss). This type of weight loss is not sustainable long term. My suggestion is for the best long term results you should try to eat back your exercise calories and get as close to 0 as you can. As ad said, he runs long distances on Saturdays. I too do that and burn 2000 cals but I seem to have no trouble eating them back (maybe its because i have a big appetite).

Hope this clears up some confusion.

Please remember I am no certified expert this is just what I have learnt from reading things on the web/ebooks and a bit from this website.

Ok so i got my math a little out!!, it still all boils down to eat less, move more!! MFP is a good tool to assist with this.