Fruit - Can you eat too much fruit?

Options
spatt786
spatt786 Posts: 24 Member
Here is my story:

I was a closet smoker for 20+ years. I always wanted to quit but lacked the willpower/motivation. I finally put them down 6 month ago and haven't looked back. I don't really even get cravings for them. I am also a sweet tea addict. I drank about 500-600 calories a day in tea alone. I gave that up about 2 months ago.

Since my smoking cessation I have been trying to control my appetite and learn as much as I can about nutrition and eat better. That's why I gave up the sweet tea. I haven't switched over to diet sodas (although I have a few of them a week for the caffeine) but I have a hard time drinking tons of water consistently. So I've been replacing all of that with fruit. I may eat 5-6 servings a day in addition to vegetables, 1-2 servings a day. Then I try to balance that with nuts, but then I go overboard with the nuts, which throws me way over my calorie goals. I get tired of chicken, I do not like beans.

I have managed to only gain 5lbs after quitting smoking 6 months ago. I think that's not bad considering I have tanked my metabolism. No caffeine and no nicotine.

Somebody give me some suggestions. I feel like I stay hungry all day long. I know it's probably just mental. My real question is can you really over do it on the fruit? I've read that as long as you are eating natural sugars along with the fiber, it is ok. Thoughts?

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Are you logging the fruit? The calories certainly do add up, so if you're not logging it, 5-6 servings of fruit could easily undo your deficit for the day.

Make sure you're weighing it and logging it. If you're hungry all the time, maybe replace some of the fruit calories with some fat and protein calories. I know that fruit is just not that satiating for me unless I pair it with fat/protein (e.g., I will eat some cantaloupe with my eggs in the mornings or some strawberries and full-fat cottage cheese as a snack).

As long as you don't have a medical condition, such as insulin resistance or diabetes, that requires you to moderate your sugar intake, then you really don't have to worry about it (neither natural nor added). I don't even track my sugar, since I'm always in the red at the end of the day - I just track fiber. If you're eating at a calorie deficit, then you're generally moderating your sugar intake by default if you're hitting your other macros.

If you enjoy fruit, eat it as much as you like within your goals. Just make sure you log it and get enough fat and protein and you'll be fine.

*Edit: forgot how to words
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    You can eat as much fruit as you like, as long as you stay within your calorie goal and it's not at the expense of other macros/nutrients.
    For example, make sure you're also hitting your protein and fat etc goals.
    I could eat a whole days calories worth of fruit, but I'd be seriously lacking in other macros.

And congrats on quitting smoking. I quit around 4mths ago. But now I'm puffing on of those vaporisers. Still better than smoking, but yet another thing i have to work on giving up!!
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I eat at least a pound of berries per day, they are very low calorie.
  • spatt786
    Options
    I didn't go to the vaporizers because I knew I'd never break the nicotine addiction. I did it cold turkey and was finally successful after many attempts. Now if I could just be as successful with the diet and exercise.

I need some ideas on how to turn my macros around. More fats and proteins are needed, but I have only a 1200 calorie limit so eating a small handful of nuts takes up almost 200 calories. Same thing with peanut butter. And I've tried protein shakes - I hate them.

This is what I do like: Some nuts, pepitas, fruit, green lettuce, raw cabbage, raw peppers, (I usually make a salad and use a 100 calorie vinaigrette - carefully measuring out my serving), chicken, pork, steak, bread. That's not a whole lot to choose from. I do not like yogurt, cottage cheese, cooked vegetables, beans. So I feel like it is hard for me to eat a lot of the protein side of my likes because they are high calorie (except for chicken and pork) and the rest is just healthy fillers (fruits and veggies) to keep something in my mouth.

• spatt786
    Options
    I think I eat at least a few pounds of watermelon a day. I just recently realized there is no fiber. But it's filling.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    You can get lean steak, or lean ground beef/ground turkey for additional protein sources. It also sounds like you are trying to only eat high protein, high fiber foods. Are you having any treats? I find a good piece of chocolate or a cookie increases my fats pretty easily :smile:

When I quit smoking (over 3 years ago) I picked up running and just a getting more active in general. It helped offset the extra calories I was eating (and I actually lost weight), plus it gave me a wonderful incentive not to smoke again-not to mention getting out all of that craving nicotine rage.

1200 calories is not much, so I'm probably not much help here. Are you sure you need to eat that low?
  • hippytee
    hippytee Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    spatt786 wrote: »
    Here is my story:

I was a closet smoker for 20+ years. I always wanted to quit but lacked the willpower/motivation. I finally put them down 6 month ago and haven't looked back. I don't really even get cravings for them. I am also a sweet tea addict. I drank about 500-600 calories a day in tea alone. I gave that up about 2 months ago.

Since my smoking cessation I have been trying to control my appetite and learn as much as I can about nutrition and eat better. That's why I gave up the sweet tea. I haven't switched over to diet sodas (although I have a few of them a week for the caffeine) but I have a hard time drinking tons of water consistently. So I've been replacing all of that with fruit. I may eat 5-6 servings a day in addition to vegetables, 1-2 servings a day. Then I try to balance that with nuts, but then I go overboard with the nuts, which throws me way over my calorie goals. I get tired of chicken, I do not like beans.

I have managed to only gain 5lbs after quitting smoking 6 months ago. I think that's not bad considering I have tanked my metabolism. No caffeine and no nicotine.

Somebody give me some suggestions. I feel like I stay hungry all day long. I know it's probably just mental. My real question is can you really over do it on the fruit? I've read that as long as you are eating natural sugars along with the fiber, it is ok. Thoughts?
    Yes hun you can, as it's got sugar in too, natural sugar but still sugar. I was only reading about that earlier let me see if I can find it and post link , congrats with the quitting too, 6 months wow give yourself a great big pat on the back for that :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    Ya, I love fruit, but too much fruit and not enough protein and fat and I'd be hungry too.

I never get tired of chicken. Maybe some of these recipes will inspire you: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/12/baked-chicken-recipes-that-arent-boring_n_6445264.html

When I want to shake things up I go Asian like http://www.chow.com/recipes/31184-slow-cooker-burmese-style-noodles (I use half the coconut milk and go easy on the noodles.)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    spatt786 wrote: »
    I didn't go to the vaporizers because I knew I'd never break the nicotine addiction. I did it cold turkey and was finally successful after many attempts. Now if I could just be as successful with the diet and exercise.

I need some ideas on how to turn my macros around. More fats and proteins are needed, but I have only a 1200 calorie limit so eating a small handful of nuts takes up almost 200 calories. Same thing with peanut butter. And I've tried protein shakes - I hate them.

This is what I do like: Some nuts, pepitas, fruit, green lettuce, raw cabbage, raw peppers, (I usually make a salad and use a 100 calorie vinaigrette - carefully measuring out my serving), chicken, pork, steak, bread. That's not a whole lot to choose from. I do not like yogurt, cottage cheese, cooked vegetables, beans. So I feel like it is hard for me to eat a lot of the protein side of my likes because they are high calorie (except for chicken and pork) and the rest is just healthy fillers (fruits and veggies) to keep something in my mouth.

Change your goals to one pound a week so that you can eat more protein.
    Eat more steak and pork. :) Decrease the fruits slightly so hat you can fit in the meat.
    Good job on cutting out smoking! :star:

• Christine_72
    Options
    I get a ton of protein and vegies for few calories from my chicken stir fry
  • spatt786
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    You can get lean steak, or lean ground beef/ground turkey for additional protein sources. It also sounds like you are trying to only eat high protein, high fiber foods. Are you having any treats? I find a good piece of chocolate or a cookie increases my fats pretty easily :smile:

When I quit smoking (over 3 years ago) I picked up running and just a getting more active in general. It helped offset the extra calories I was eating (and I actually lost weight), plus it gave me a wonderful incentive not to smoke again-not to mention getting out all of that craving nicotine rage.

1200 calories is not much, so I'm probably not much help here. Are you sure you need to eat that low?

Yes, unfortunately. I am only 5'1 and I'm just over 150lbs. I would be happy with 20lbs loss, but I really need 30. So I get put on the lowest calorie limit in order to lose weight. Unless I exercised to the extreme. Same thing when I did WW, I always got the lowest points. :(

I do eat Dole Dippers as a treat. My problem is though, once I eat one package, I go back and get more and more and more - they are awesome. I do better if I just don't buy them.

Thanks for all the support. I guess I'm feeling frustrated because I am craving and having a hard time sticking to food/exercise regime regularly, but I guess it could be worse. I have only gained 5lbs when most gain 20. I have kicked 2 habits, but can't manage to kick the sugar.

• Christine_72
    Options
    I ignore the sugar in fruit and dairy, two things I eat each and every day. Because I refuse to give them up. In summer I eat tons of fruit
  • GWehsling
    GWehsling Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You can eat too much fibre and too much vitamin C.

Take care.
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Spatt: I love fruit, especially this time of the year: peaches, plums, strawberries, watermelon, etc. But I find when I am at the end of the logging day, I have had too much sugar at the bottom of the MFP food log. I do not go over my calorie allowance though. But, I have been trying to eat less. So I know what you mean. It is not easy. I can't seem to kick the sugar either, even though it is fructose, no sucrose. Wish I had a good solution.

70044776.png
  • Christine_72
    Options
    GWehsling wrote: »

Take care.

Too much vitamin C?? You just pee out what your body doesn't absorb.

I take 10g of vitC powder everyday on top of whatever i'm getting from food

• spatt786
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Ya, I love fruit, but too much fruit and not enough protein and fat and I'd be hungry too.

I never get tired of chicken. Maybe some of these recipes will inspire you: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/12/baked-chicken-recipes-that-arent-boring_n_6445264.html

When I want to shake things up I go Asian like http://www.chow.com/recipes/31184-slow-cooker-burmese-style-noodles (I use half the coconut milk and go easy on the noodles.)

Thank you for this link!! I found a few recipes in there that I'd like to try.

I think you just reminded me of something - I'm probably hungry because of all the fruit sugar. I was thinking the fiber should keep my full.

I'm going to try something. I take a small handful of medications in the morning usually when I go to work, which is only 3 days a week. Allergy meds, multi vitamin, fish oil. The days I am off, I am out of routine and I usually just don't remember to take them. I am wondering if taking the fish oil is helping with my appetite (being a fat). I'm going to try to pay attention and see if that helps.
  • bonneboo
    bonneboo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    So I wasn't the only one hooked on sweet tea. I was raised on tea, that's what people in the deep south drink. For 64 years - I've been drinking sweet tea. For some reason in the last 6 months I tripled the amount I drank to three glasses a day. Just kicked the habit a month ago to one glass sweetened with truvia blend. Congrats on the smoking and the tea.
  • spatt786
    Options
    bonneboo wrote: »
    So I wasn't the only one hooked on sweet tea. I was raised on tea, that's what people in the deep south drink. For 64 years - I've been drinking sweet tea. For some reason in the last 6 months I tripled the amount I drank to three glasses a day. Just kicked the habit a month ago to one glass sweetened with truvia blend. Congrats on the smoking and the tea.

Ha!! I was drinking about 3 quarts daily. I don't even know how many glasses that is. I grew up on it too. I brewed it fresh daily.
  • BitterSweetWinter
    BitterSweetWinter Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I know it's not the same, but have you tried making iced herbal teas and -fruit teas- most of them are little to no calories, you could sweeten them with a tiny bit of honey or agava until your able to drink it straight or even try it straight a lot of the fruit infusions are already nice. Could even try adding fresh fruit in there instead. I'm only saying this because it's helped me cut way back on diet Pepsi and fruit juice, I also have a soda stream machine and make tea pops when I want the bubbles.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    GWehsling wrote: »

Take care.

Too much vitamin C?? You just pee out what your body doesn't absorb.

I take 10g of vitC powder everyday on top of whatever i'm getting from food

Vitamin C toxicity is a thing. http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/vitamin-c/faq-20058030

Obv fruit isn't the only source, but supplementing on top of a natural intake that is adequate seems dubious,.