Intermittent Fasting (IF)

Options
Intermittent fasting (also abbreviated as IF) is a broad term that allows a fasting period and a non-fasting period. Intermittent fasting is becoming more popular and ubiquitous. Some folks have talked about intermittent fasting and proved with before and after pictures that this type of dieting method works. Other folks have talked about the health benefits from reduced chances of getting diabetes to increasing one's life span. With all these success stories and life changing benefits, this means that many individuals will be interested in intermittent fasting or at least give it a try. But where do we start? How does this work? I have seen and read many forums on google that talk about intermittent fasting and there are many strategies and approaches versus just one type of dieting method. Out of all the methods of IF, I find that some of them are too brutal and too complicated due to all the "non-fasting window." Instead, my strategy of IF that I recommend is much more easy, simple, yet very effective for losing body fat. My strategy consist of waking up fresh in the morning fasting for 5 to 6 hours (That means skipping breakfast). During my fast, I enjoy drinking 1 or 2 cups of black coffee. Studies have shown that drinking black coffee in a fasted state helps can increase fat burning in the body and boost the metabolic rate thanks to the caffeine in coffee, according to authoritynutrition.com. After fasting for 5 to 6 hours, I eat my first, big meal which takes up 70% of my calories. These calories follow the 35% protein, 35% carbohydrate, and 30% fat. This way I will rarely feel hungry throughout my fasting periods. After the big meal, I fast for another 5 to 6 hours. Next is the second, small meal which takes up the remaining 30% of my calories. If I ever feel hungry in the morning or any time during the fasting period, I will eat one piece of fruit such as an apple or a banana 1 to 2 hours before meals. This is my strategy that I use for IF. Please feel free to ask any questions! Did you have your method of IF? If do, please share with me. I like hearing from others and see what works for them! I am new to the community forums, but I don't bite. I promise.

Replies

• tonyrocks922
    tonyrocks922 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Here's some white space, use it next time to make some paragraphs so people can actually read what you wrote:

• HelloImAnthony
    HelloImAnthony Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Here's some white space, use it next time to make some paragraphs so people can actually read what you wrote:

Oh, hey thanks for the white space. I was typing this on my iphone. I was just testing to see how this forum and community thing is working out for me. Here's this website down below your white space that will teach you how to be a bit nicer to people. Use it next time so other people you come across in the future won't have to embarrass you:

http://www.lovepanky.com/my-life/relationships/how-to-be-nice

• catjan
    catjan Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this. I kinda started IF though wasn't sure if I was doing it right?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    catjan wrote: »
    Thank you for sharing this. I kinda started IF though wasn't sure if I was doing it right?
    There are several versions of IF.
    One version is to fast for 18 hours and eat during a 6 hour window.
  • catjan
    catjan Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    There are several versions of IF.
    One version is to fast for 18 hours and eat during a 6 hour window.

Thank you. I have read many things.
    Guess it's down to what works for individual life style & body.
    It's good to know that my 2 early morning cups of coffee could help ( I thought it broke my fasting)
  • HelloImAnthony
    HelloImAnthony Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    @catjan hello, how are you? I recently started drinking coffee. I never thought i would ever see myself drinking coffee, but I am really interested in IF and wanted to see how IF will work for me. In the first week, I lost 1.1 lbs. This could be just water weight, but this is still good progress. I will continue IF and hope to see more results!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Any way you want to achieve your calorie defecit works

Personally, I find it most effective in terms of life balance to minimise the number of rules .. look at the major objective and use a route that works for you.

So if it's IF, carb-free, IIFYM, keto, the "insert ludicrous name" diet etc.... it doesn't matter.

Try to avoid fads, supplements, strictures, expensive dieting aids and make it work for you as an individual
    Try not to get bogged down in he says, she says.. if you read a website or newspaper or see a TV programme use google scholar to find the source material and try to read it and the stuff around it .. most of the time journalists take a serious piece of research and twist it to make news / sales whereas it doesn't actually stand up to that kind of implementation / scrutiny

For Weight Loss and it quite simply boils down to:

Eat at a calorie defecit - hit your macro minimums in Protein and Fat, keep an eye on micronutrients
    Move more
    Lift heavy things and put 'em down again
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I fast intermittently each day between the time I go to sleep and the time I have breakfast.
  • speed3_bobby
    speed3_bobby Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have been fasting for 3 weeks now. Im 5'10 amd weighed 188. Im 22 years old. Never lifted weights but was always into sports. Fasting for me has been extremely easy. Im always at a deficit and my job requires me to run alot (valet)(in vegas summers it blows). I pretty much eat my last meal by 10 p.m and dont eat at work. Just drink lots of water. Then i have a big meal and hit the gym. Im currently at 171.0 and got alot stronger by keeping my volume low and my weights as heavy as possible without failure.for example i coukd barely curl 20 pounds and in 2 months i got up to 40pounds. I also take no days off and give each muscle 48 hours of rest. Drink BCAA and preworkout only.My body responds well probably because as a hispanic i already only ate twice a day only difference was weights and hitting macros now.
  • Horrorfox
    Horrorfox Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    The problem with IF is that you will end up burning fat AND muscle doing so. On top of that, you will slow down your metabolism, and force your body to start storing fat. In the short term, you'll see results, then you will hit a wall. You won't understand why you're stuck at a weight and the scale won't budge anymore.

If you're going to fast to lose weight, do so while you sleep. Your last meal should be about 2 hours before you go to bed.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    horrorfox wrote: »
    The problem with IF is that you will end up burning fat AND muscle doing so. On top of that, you will slow down your metabolism, and force your body to start storing fat. In the short term, you'll see results, then you will hit a wall. You won't understand why you're stuck at a weight and the scale won't budge anymore.

If you're going to fast to lose weight, do so while you sleep. Your last meal should be about 2 hours before you go to bed.

yaknow .. any calorie defecit will see you burning fat and muscle .. the trick is to ensure you eat adequate protein, get minimum fats and follow a progressive resistance programme to minimise

IF is not particularly more problematic, it's a way to achieve a weekly defecit

Meal timing makes no difference at all .. doesn't matter if you eat in bed
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    horrorfox wrote: »

False