Eating past 8'...

Options
I'm a newb really on nutrition but I must know if eating right before bedtime is bad for my metabolism and I'm lacking 20-30g protein or basically carbs and protein lately. Can someone take a look at my food diary and tell me if I should be eating more?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Diary is closed - go to settings, bottom left and make it public.

I never saw any point in eating just before reducing my energy expenditure (ie going to bed) but I doubt there's a big effect either way.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I virtually always eat after 8pm. Meal timing makes no difference as it's all about cals out/cals in over time.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Must resist from laughing. #dirtymind
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Eat whenever you want. :)
  • chandelierbee
    chandelierbee Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    It's fixed, idk why it didn't save the first time. I'm trying to get the hang of this..
  • chandelierbee
    Options
    Can someone tell me now, is there anything to fix?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    There's no truth in the 'eat before x time' myth. Especially if you think about it - what time zone? What about in summer when it's still light at 9:30pm? What if you eat at 7pm, then fly and land in a later timezone? It's actually one of the less logical diet 'rules' I've heard.
  • chandelierbee
    edited July 2015
    Options
    What if you eat at 7pm, then fly and land in a later timezone? It's actually one of the less logical diet 'rules' I've heard.

You make a good point, never thought of it like that. I just hear that if the body doesn't use the calories like walking it will get stored as fat but I have a caloric deficit of 1000 and still got per say 900 calories to eat today. Idk I'm kinda hungry/not and just craving a microwaved s'mores quest bar.
  • RodaRose
    Options
    You make a good point, never thought of it like that. I just hear that if the body doesn't use the calories like walking it will get stored as fat but I have a caloric deficit of 1000 and still got per say 900 calories to eat today. Idk I'm kinda hungry/not and just craving a microwaved s'mores quest bar.
    I have heard that too and it is nonsense. Your body is working even while you sleep. Eat something like the quest bar, esp if you are under your calories. Your body needs enough nutrition.

It is hard to know what you should be eating without your height and weight. As a general guideline, women should eat at least 1200 calories a day.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Just don't eat _after_ you go to sleep. Unless a really good sleep walker. Just log it accurately. And if using the scale sleep walking, that's really good!
  • chandelierbee
    Options
    I'm 5'8" & 155.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I didn't start losing weight until I stopped eating after 9pm. Not trying to say that's a hard fast rule, but it works for me, mostly because late night is when my willpower for junk food is at its weakest.
  • RodaRose
    Options
    I'm 5'8" & 155.

Please eat more food. You can eat 1400/ 1500 and still lose weight.
    Regarding the macros:
    Protein -- eat all of your protein. O.K. to go over
    Fat -- try to eat all of your fat. O.K. to go over
    Carbs -- they do not matter one way or another. Go over or under.
    ~~~
    One easy way to get to your calorie number is to eat food with more fat: potatoes with butter or sour cream, whole eggs, chicken thighs, avocados, full fat cheese, nuts, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, full fat salad dressing, tuna, bacon, granola, muffins. <3
    Or eat more carbs and protein. Any way you get to 1400-1500 is good.
  • tspencer824
    tspencer824 Posts: 23 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    You need to drink CASEIN protein right before bed. That will keep you fueled and full. No carbs, except if there are a few grams in the powder. Try dpsnutrition.com and buy Dymatize Casein in peanut butter chocolate or Optimum Nutrition in Chocolate Supreme.

Try making a mug cake out of this stuff... I use this recipe, but use the Casein instead. Just leave out the peanut butter unless you are trying to eat more fats...

[link removed by MFP mod]

You will keep seeing results with this change as long as you are eating and working hard. Feel free to watch my diaries on MFP. I am at the end of prepping for my NPC show next weekend, so my macros and calories are a little strange, but on a typical diet for me, it is really easy to follow.
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I usually go to bed around 10.30pm. I try to avoid eating anything after 8.30pm during the week - because it affects my sleep patterns when I eat late. The thing is, of itself, eating whenever doesn't affect weight loss - but not enough of sleep (over time) really does. That's the reason I give myself a cut off time, which is variable depending on my bedtime. I struggle to fall asleep, and wake more frequently during the night, if I've eaten very close to bedtime.

Weekends (Fri and Sat nights), I may go out and not start eating until after 8.30pm. It's just that, on those nights, I probably won't go to bed until after midnight, so I'm not concerned.

For me, a minimum 2 hour window between last eating and bed is suiting me just fine. I'm sleeping well, and feel so much more rested and energetic as a consequence. I don't think there needs to be hard cut-off point like 8pm, I'd just adapt that to whatever time you go to bed, and subtract a couple of hours.
  • JensJourney11
    JensJourney11 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat after 8pm mainly because I tend to just choose junk food at that time.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    On hard lifting days a 20g protein shake is good before bed.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I usually eat dinner around 9, and that has not been a problem for weight loss at all. Logically, there is no reason why eating late would be. For some people it might affect sleep, and for others having a hard and fast rule about no eating after a certain time might help them avoid snacking that leads to going over calories, but those are just individual things.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    And, yeah, you should be eating more. I'd be skeptical about those exercise burns and maybe cut them in half, so you don't need to make sure to eat to your goals with exercise, but you should definitely eat all your original goal plus some extra calories for the exercise you are doing.

Your breakdown of carbs/fat/protein seemed fine and if you ate more in the same ratios you would be reasonably close to your goals, as there's no need to be exact.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    My schedule is somewhat erratic, and I sometimes reach end of day needing to eat to reach the 1200 minimum.

Calories can't tell time. I generally make certain I reach my minimum, and (rarely) I eat late at night if I still feel hungry (usually, but not always, if I am feeling hungry, I do have enough calories remaining for a bedtime snack).

Your mileage may vary, but I believe late in the day snacking is no big deal, especially if you make choices that support your goals.