I went from morbidly obese to 6 pack abs! Ask me Anything

Options

Replies

• Brocksterdanza
    Brocksterdanza Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Vismal, true inspiration man. I can't fully explain your impact on me today.

Question time:

1. I lost about 125 pounds a couple years ago after finding my mother had cancer. I began running and doing insanity. Obviously you know how that ends, I lost a ton of lean muscle. However, the scale moved 125 pounds, which was great for me. Now 2 years later, I have regained 25 pounds and am sitting about 250 (6'1, 37 years old, male). I am really wanting to see the scale move again but I certainly enjoy lifting as I do stronglifts. Is there a way that I can lift and still see the scale move? I do cardio after workouts, generally elliptical, stair machine, etc.
    2. I currently eat at roughly a 750 calorie a day deficit, should I up that amount to 1000 a day?
    3. I very rarely get more than 5 days of workouts in a week... Lift 3 and do cardio of some sort on at least 4 days. Thoughts on this?

I would certainly appreciate your responses. Thank you so much be being there for us. I now have a go to person that has been there, done that.

Any chance you will add me as a friend? You are a true inspiration.

Thanks for your insights,

Coach
  • raregem99
    raregem99 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    gjdm
  • subhaautowares
    subhaautowares Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • giannigreco83
    giannigreco83 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Bump :)

• bestlife42
    bestlife42 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Your transformation is amazing, so inspiring!!! I apologize if this question was already asked but my concern is loose skin/muscle tone.

I have been very focused on my weight loss since January. This time around is different, its been a mental transformation for me as well. I think that's why I have always gained it back in the past. So far I have lost 48lbs and still have more to go. I have been losing an average of 1-2lbs/wk. I feel like I am losing it slow enough but I am starting to notice the loose skin on stomach, tricep area and thighs...even behind my knees. I belong to a small gym that offers circuit training classes, trx, body sculpting classes, spin and kickboxing classes. I mostly take the circuit training class and trx. When we use the free weights during the circuit I have been trying to grab the heavier weights like 20-25lbs. I'm also starting week 4 of the couch to 5k. I know from some of the advice you have given that weight training is so important but I am not sure if there is something that can be recommended for when you don't have access to the weight area at the gym. They don't offer open gym time so I am limited to the classes. Is there something I can do at home? Is doing trx helping at all? I take at least 4 classes/wk.(mix of circuit and trx)

When I actually noticed the loose skin I wanted to cry because I feel like all my hard work is not getting me the results I had hoped for. I am becoming "skinny fat". I know its better then being obese however I was wondering if there is a way to stop it from getting worse since I am not done losing the weight. I would like to lose another 40-50lbs. Do I stop trying to lose more and work on building muscle now or continue losing. I am so confused. I know you didn't have problems with loose skin but I would really appreciate any advice you can offer. thanks!

I am 43yrs old weigh 203lbs & I am 5'7".
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    jrenaud3 wrote: »
    Awesome! How tall are you? I am 6'2" and 255lbs. I would love to get below 200, as that is what every height/weight charts tells me. I haven't been that since high school. I've been working out on and off for a few years but the lowest I can get myself is 230lbs. For the first time I am trying to watch my food intake. Any advice would be great! Thanks.
    I'm 6'1. Don't put too much faith into height and weight charts. They don't take body mass or structure in to account. For instance, someone with very little lean muscle could carry quite a bit of fat at 6'2 230 while an nfl player might be a solid block of muscle at the same stats.
    mooo92 wrote: »
    Hey, can I get thoughts on keto? Great progress pics btw, thats really motivating.

Also regarding weights and cardio, for the majority of your weight loss did you do them individually?
    I am not a fan of keto diets. While they do work, because any calorie restriction diet will work, I do not like restricting whole groups of foods. I do not feel keto diets work any quicker or better. The advantage some might gain from trying ketosis is that they are able to be more compliant with a their calorie restriction as limiting your diet to only protein and fat can be quite satiating. Many people struggle with reintroducing carbs back into the diet and ultimately gain most if not all of the weight they lost. I do weights and cardio congruently (if I'm doing cardio at all). Doing cardio while eating in a deficit without weight training will lead to losses in lean mass. It is much harder to build muscle then lose fat so you want to maintain as much of it as possible during the cutting phase.
    Firstly, congratulations to you! You transformed yourself and look great! You are an inspiration to all!

I apologize in advance if you have been asked this before in this thread, but have you had any plateaus in your journey and what did you do when you reached them? You worked out harder? Just were patient? Or kick started it again by eating high-calorie food for a couple of days? Something else I don't know of?

PS: I am SO hoping you will say 'I ate a chocolate cake!' :D
    Stalls in weight loss are usually caused by 2 things. For most people, the problem is that they are eating too much. Plain and simple. Even if you are tracking calories and don't appear to be eating too much, you need to examine how strict you are with your counting and measuring. If you are absolutely confident that your counting is extremely accurate (weighing foods, no cheat days/meals, not forgetting, not using measuring cups for solid foods, not eating out, etc) then the problem is most likely water retention. You can see no movement in the scale for as long as a month due to water retention. For that, you can do nothing more than wait. This is why it's so important to be 100% sure of your calorie counting. If you waste a month waiting for water retention to clear up when in reality your counting is just off, you just wasted a month. You will not kick start anything other than fat storage by eating high calories for a couple of days. It unfortunately doesn't work that way. Refeeds can be a useful tool to break water retention but those are best used for people who are already lean and looking to get extremely lean.

• Shreshy
    Shreshy Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Wow congrats ! What an inspiration!! What foods do you avoid and what foods do you survive on? :)
  • vismal
    Options
    Since there are at least 52 pages I haven't read them all, I'm sorry. However, my question:
    I'd love to be more fit. I lost about 8 kilo's (don't know what that is in stones/pounds/etc.) and still want to shed a few. However, I also want to become more fit and muscular. Staying feminine of course, but being just skinny isn't what I'm longing for. I want to look athletic. And I do want to work for it, but I have had pretty bad lower back pain & instability issues so I don't have the guts to just start not knowing what I'm doing. Do you have any tips? Right now I'm doing Body Balance from Les Mills and a bit of exercising to strengthen my back at the gym, but that's just a bit of body maintainance in my opinion. How could I start with the weight lifting without damaging my body? I am pretty much recovered now, but there's been a time I could barely ride a bike or travel by bus (let alone play sports or party) without a lot of pain and I don't ever want to go back there. Hence the worries about how to start.

Sorry for the long question, but English is not my native language and I found it quite hard to describe what I meant in a few words.

Furthermore I absolutely respect your progress, lifestyle and perseverance. It's lovely how you've turned your life around. And answering all these questions, you're an angel. Very motivating to know that we're not all alone in our battle.

Good luck and (hopefully) thanks in advance.
    With back injuries you really need to get your advice from a professional. I too struggle with back problems and it limits quite a few of the exercises I can do. I would not be comfortable suggesting exercises for you as I do not personally know much about your injury, and even if I did, I'm not really qualified to give that kind of advice. I would seek out someone who is and have them develop a program for you to achieve your goals. I would lean towards a doctor of licensed therapist rather than simply a personal trainer.
    kthom001 wrote: »
    Hey, awesome job. Just wondering what your take is on using weight machines as opposed to free weights? I really like the circuit training area at the gym with all the machines, but I'm wondering if I'm doing the right thing. I just started and have about 100lbs to lose. I want to lose the weight and be ripped too. What do I do?
    Machines have their place but your main lifts should be barbell or dumbbell. I will use machines for isolation exercises as well as for certain types of rows or lat pulldowns but for chest, I benchpress, for legs, I squat, I do dumbbell rows, dumbbell or barbell shoulder presses, etc.
    Vismal, true inspiration man. I can't fully explain your impact on me today.

Question time:

1. I lost about 125 pounds a couple years ago after finding my mother had cancer. I began running and doing insanity. Obviously you know how that ends, I lost a ton of lean muscle. However, the scale moved 125 pounds, which was great for me. Now 2 years later, I have regained 25 pounds and am sitting about 250 (6'1, 37 years old, male). I am really wanting to see the scale move again but I certainly enjoy lifting as I do stronglifts. Is there a way that I can lift and still see the scale move? I do cardio after workouts, generally elliptical, stair machine, etc. Lifting does not prevent weight loss. If you eat in a deficit, you will lose weight.
    2. I currently eat at roughly a 750 calorie a day deficit, should I up that amount to 1000 a day? How do you know you are in a 750 calorie deficit? If you aren't losing any weight, I'd guess that you weren't. 750 is a fairly steep deficit to begin with, weight should be coming off at a decent pace. I'd examine your calorie counting methods. Give this guide a read: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1
    3. I very rarely get more than 5 days of workouts in a week... Lift 3 and do cardio of some sort on at least 4 days. Thoughts on this? That sounds fine

I would certainly appreciate your responses. Thank you so much be being there for us. I now have a go to person that has been there, done that.

Any chance you will add me as a friend? You are a true inspiration.

Thanks for your insights,

Coach
    Answers in bold
  • sfrederiksen
    sfrederiksen Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • hardworker762
    hardworker762 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    congrats!
    being that you lost an extreme amount of weight at any point did you start noticing any loose skin? if so how did you get rid of it?
    Congrats again! you look great!
  • algwynt
    algwynt Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    what a great blog this is for all thanks for your input you are a great role model for us.you speak of lifting as a great weight loss tool and i agree but do you also do cardio.I cycle but cannot do lifting due to a wrist injury from way back.
  • JonathanP1962
    JonathanP1962 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    bump !
  • vismal
    Options
    congrats!
    being that you lost an extreme amount of weight at any point did you start noticing any loose skin? if so how did you get rid of it?
    Congrats again! you look great!
    This question has been asked 4+ times. Scroll back a few pages. I even posted a video on the topic.

• Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    jrenaud3 wrote: »
    Awesome! How tall are you? I am 6'2" and 255lbs. I would love to get below 200, as that is what every height/weight charts tells me. I haven't been that since high school. I've been working out on and off for a few years but the lowest I can get myself is 230lbs. For the first time I am trying to watch my food intake. Any advice would be great! Thanks.

I'm 6'0 and have seen my recomended weight be as low as 160ish. At my 265 starting point that seemed rediculosly low but at 211 is seems a bit more realistic. I recently adjusted my goal from 200 to 180 but I'm transitioning from weight loss to strength training and I think my goal weight will be a lean 200+ eventually.

As everyone says, I wish I was strength training from the start. I would probably look better at 211 if I kept what muscle I had.
  • lostinphat
    lostinphat Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Amazing!!!! What an inspiration!
  • lostinphat
    lostinphat Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Amazing!!!! What an inspiration!
  • JagZag
    JagZag Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    sfl
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    Hey Vismal, you are a great inspiration! I weigh about 174lbs, I am 5'8" I am about to start the 5x5 Strong lift program, I have built myself a Gym in my basement with a squat rack and Dumbbells, Now I would not classify myself as an experienced lifter, I did follow the New Rules of lifting program here and there. But my question is, starting this new program, how do I know what is a decent weight to start at without injuring myself because I tried to much to fast, I want to be cautious but also want to increase my strength. What would you say is a good starting weight for a novice for Squats, Bench, row? Basically how do I know I am lifting to little or to much? I am looking for that sweet spot of creating muscle, but not injuring my self. Thanks in advance.
  • lesliezimmer
    lesliezimmer Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Snow3y wrote: »
    Great transformation!
    I wouldn't call that morbidly obese... but really good job, you should definitely be proud of yourself!

I think he qualifies. It's if you're over 100 pounds above the ideal weight for your height and he was well over that for someone who is 6'1".

That's obese, not morbidly obese :)

No, that's morbidly obese: "An individual is considered morbidly obese if he or she is 100 pounds over his/her ideal body weight, has a BMI of 40 or more, or 35 or more and experiencing obesity-related health conditions, such as high blood pressure or diabetes."

He had a BMI of 41.7. He was morbidly obese.
  • vismal
    Options
    MellowGa wrote: »
    Hey Vismal, you are a great inspiration! I weigh about 174lbs, I am 5'8" I am about to start the 5x5 Strong lift program, I have built myself a Gym in my basement with a squat rack and Dumbbells, Now I would not classify myself as an experienced lifter, I did follow the New Rules of lifting program here and there. But my question is, starting this new program, how do I know what is a decent weight to start at without injuring myself because I tried to much to fast, I want to be cautious but also want to increase my strength. What would you say is a good starting weight for a novice for Squats, Bench, row? Basically how do I know I am lifting to little or to much? I am looking for that sweet spot of creating muscle, but not injuring my self. Thanks in advance.
    You want to start with a weight that you can easily do for all 5 reps of all 5 sets with good form. Form is the most important thing for a beginner to master. It far outweighs how much weight you push. So if you start with a weight that by the end is really a struggle, you will stall out very early and are much more likely to compromise your form. I'm not saying make it so light you don't feel it at all, but again, you should easily finish the required sets and reps. Once you finish all sets and reps for the required lift, and your form is good, you move the weight up.

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!