Possible plateau?

Options
Im 165cm tall and in around 3 months I have gone from 80kg to 70kg, I did this with a combination of:

running twice per week (always at least 6.5km with a pace that usually is between 5:40-5:45/km, though ive been varying it for example yesterday I did 10km in an hour), I always run without stopping at any point as I want to get the full benefit and increase my stamina

being at work on my feet all the time (I work in a supermarket) for the remaining 5 days, at least 7 hours each day

Playing 40 mins of high tempo 6 a side football once per week

and of course I watch what I eat, I do every now and then will have something like a pizza but I never go above 1500kcal in a day, and have stopped snacking on unhealthy stuff for 3 months now

I weigh myself once every 2 weeks and was hoping to be on 68kg by the start of july, yet here we are and my morning weigh in still shows 70kg which is the same as 2-3 weeks ago

I know some of that is muscle, especially in the legs from all the running but due to my height I still have some flab left on my belly and dont look ideal at all. I have noticed a huge difference as I bought some clothes 2 months ago that did not fit me but now fit me perfectly fine, also clothes that I thought were normal fit for me are now very loose

I would like to drop to 65kg at least as that even with muscle is to me the ideal weight for me

However as my weight seems to be staying the same I am not sure what to do. I will no longer be in my job from this friday so my plan will change. pre season training with my football team starts and 2 times per week I will be doing a 2 hour training session that will mostly involve moving in quick bursts of speed and interval training. Alongside this I aim to run 3 times per week for at least 6.5km.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions on what I could do to drop that last 5kg? Im not sure if to decrease my calorie intake further or not.

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Only 2 to 3 weeks is nothing really to worry about, especially if you're only weighing every fortnight - you could very well have got to a lower weight, and just have been fluctuating today. If you've got a vigorous exercise routine fluctuations will be even more common. You've gotta leave it a bit longer and watch the trend.

That said, if you're not already it's a good idea to weigh everything you eat to make sure you're not overestimating. Measuring things by estimating or using cups can easily wipe out your deficit.
  • Krystle1984
    Krystle1984 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    A plateau is at least 6 weeks with no change. How accurate is your logging? Do you use a digital food scale? Also, have you readjusted your calories in MFP? You should check them every 10lbs lost or so as your goal will usually decrease. That being said, you shouldn't go below 1200 for women and 1500 for men.

If you can open up your food diary people will be able to advise you better. Oftentimes the weight falls off easily in the beginning, but as you get closer to your goal the margin for error decreases so what was working before may not anymore. :)
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    radd1000 wrote: »
    Im 165cm tall and in around 3 months I have gone from 80kg to 70kg, I did this with a combination of:

running twice per week (always at least 6.5km with a pace that usually is between 5:40-5:45/km, though ive been varying it for example yesterday I did 10km in an hour), I always run without stopping at any point as I want to get the full benefit and increase my stamina

being at work on my feet all the time (I work in a supermarket) for the remaining 5 days, at least 7 hours each day

Playing 40 mins of high tempo 6 a side football once per week

and of course I watch what I eat, I do every now and then will have something like a pizza but I never go above 1500kcal in a day, and have stopped snacking on unhealthy stuff for 3 months now

I weigh myself once every 2 weeks and was hoping to be on 68kg by the start of july, yet here we are and my morning weigh in still shows 70kg which is the same as 2-3 weeks ago

I know some of that is muscle, especially in the legs from all the running but due to my height I still have some flab left on my belly and dont look ideal at all. I have noticed a huge difference as I bought some clothes 2 months ago that did not fit me but now fit me perfectly fine, also clothes that I thought were normal fit for me are now very loose

I would like to drop to 65kg at least as that even with muscle is to me the ideal weight for me

However as my weight seems to be staying the same I am not sure what to do. I will no longer be in my job from this friday so my plan will change. pre season training with my football team starts and 2 times per week I will be doing a 2 hour training session that will mostly involve moving in quick bursts of speed and interval training. Alongside this I aim to run 3 times per week for at least 6.5km.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions on what I could do to drop that last 5kg? Im not sure if to decrease my calorie intake further or not.

So you weigh yourself once per week and the last two or three measurements are the same? Can you see why you can't say you are at a plateau?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear.

Also, with only weighing once every 2 weeks, you don't have enough data/weigh-ins to see what your natural fluctuations are.

Plus there's a whole gamut of things that can mask weight loss, hence weight loss not being linear.

Give it 4-6 weeks with no change before getting concerned... but even then, you'd need to weigh more often than you do to see if there's really no change.