Am I a bad person?!

Options
2»

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I did say it was a study using mice. Not a human study. A study of mice. I said that. No one would say, oh this is the last word on the subject, we're done. But there were some findings and not others, and they may be interesting to some people.

. In that case, we would have discovered a certain population of bariatric surgery patients who are on post-surgery diets and somehow can't lose weight or lose far less weight than the expected range of weightloss.

No, it's not at clear that this would happen. There are people who regain after bariatric surgery. Some of them might have things in common, but they haven't been tested for everything under the sun. Also, you would probably need a lot of clinics to pick up on a subset, so it also wouldn't happen unless staff at hundreds of private clinics, each with their own protocols, 1) knew to test for it and b) agreed to do it in the same way, and c) followed up long-term and d) were able to exclude other variables (foods) once people got out and ate whatever. Which, good luck. So I am not sure about this idea.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Also, I think they probably looked at some dependent variables but not all possible dependent variables for methodological reasons.

As far as how they talked about their research, they all do that a bit, big up the possible implications for press. Doesn't mean the research itself is hack.
  • drivenbonkers
    drivenbonkers Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've been tracking my food and I've realized I eat a lot of processed foods. I'm a vegetarian so it seems as though that's my source of protein besides nuts, like quest bars. Can someone please look into my food diary and tell me, am I putting useless chemicals into my body or what? I've been losing weight but I have a thing for cheese.... I was "milk-less" for a few weeks but forced myself to eat cheese so I can get my protein in but I'm hating the saturated fat. If you see anything processed, I need advise for a healthy alternative or vegetable recipes. I eat leaves mainly because I don't know the nutrition facts of each dish so I'm scared.... Please help me with my fear to cook food and so-called "bad" chemicals.

I have a rule of thumb that I use when grocery shopping; if I can't pronounce the words in the list of ingredients, I don't buy the product.

I try to stick to food that's as close to it's 'real' or 'raw' state as possible. Shop the 'outside' aisles of the grocery store. That's where stores usually stock the least processed foods. Fresh fruit, veggies, meat counter, dairy sections are usually on the outside walls, too. Frozen foods can be 'iffy' for processed, Just watch the package labels.

For example with cheese, I use real cheese that's sold in a solid block (cheddar, mozzarella, blue, etc) not a package of the individually wrapped pre-sliced single types.

I keep a container of diced onions, celery, and colourful peppers on hand in the fridge. It's very versatile: A cup or so of the mix and it's the start of an omlette for breakfast, a bean salad for lunch, and a stir fry for dinner, or toss some greens and it's a side salad. Mixed with protein, and other veggies or salad greens and with a little imagination, the meal possibilites are endless!

• RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I've been tracking my food and I've realized I eat a lot of processed foods. I'm a vegetarian so it seems as though that's my source of protein besides nuts, like quest bars. Can someone please look into my food diary and tell me, am I putting useless chemicals into my body or what? I've been losing weight but I have a thing for cheese.... I was "milk-less" for a few weeks but forced myself to eat cheese so I can get my protein in but I'm hating the saturated fat. If you see anything processed, I need advise for a healthy alternative or vegetable recipes. I eat leaves mainly because I don't know the nutrition facts of each dish so I'm scared.... Please help me with my fear to cook food and so-called "bad" chemicals.

I have a rule of thumb that I use when grocery shopping; if I can't pronounce the words in the list of ingredients, I don't buy the product.

I try to stick to food that's as close to it's 'real' or 'raw' state as possible. Shop the 'outside' aisles of the grocery store. That's where stores usually stock the least processed foods. Fresh fruit, veggies, meat counter, dairy sections are usually on the outside walls, too. Frozen foods can be 'iffy' for processed, Just watch the package labels.

For example with cheese, I use real cheese that's sold in a solid block (cheddar, mozzarella, blue, etc) not a package of the individually wrapped pre-sliced single types.

I keep a container of diced onions, celery, and colourful peppers on hand in the fridge. It's very versatile: A cup or so of the mix and it's the start of an omlette for breakfast, a bean salad for lunch, and a stir fry for dinner, or toss some greens and it's a side salad. Mixed with protein, and other veggies or salad greens and with a little imagination, the meal possibilites are endless!

Does this food pass your test? Or is this on your list of 'would not buy' foods based on its ingredient list being too hard to pronounce?
    19cthsq3h02qrpng.png
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    You are not a bad person :D
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options

Does this food pass your test? Or is this on your list of 'would not buy' foods based on its ingredient list being too hard to pronounce?
    19cthsq3h02qrpng.png

I always think that not being able to pronounce an ingredient is a crap reason for not eating something. I mean, do people not remember learning to read? Sound the words out! Most of the polysyllabic ingredients are phoenetically spelled.

I recently read an article which had a better way of distnguishing what's good and bad but, of course, I can't remember what that way is or have/remember where I read it.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    OP, you might find this link helpful for some ideas for protein sources that are not protein bars or prepackaged meals: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/926789/protein-sources
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    lots of protien stuff out there for vegetarians and vegans, so dont you fret. Quest bars are fine, I like protien powder in my morning coffee.

I do a lot of soy products (soy milk,soy-gurt, TVP, tofu, soynut butter,boca vegan burgers) and beans ( i measure out a cooked portion on a food scale. lentils are a favorite) as well as almonds and nut-butters (more for fat than protein) but I also will eat protein enriched cereals, breads, and pastas too.

I dont eat cheese, or any dairy, but I see lots of other vegetarians who get really into whey protien bars (like quest) and cottage cheese. Not much saturated fat in either.

dont worry about "chemicals" just try to eat a balanced diet with fruit and veggies, and take a multivitamin.
  • tomnev1
    tomnev1 Posts: 184 Member
    Options

First key to losing weight is to not beat yourself up. That's the single most important thing.

Now as regards processed foods, some are good, some are bad, such is life.

• tomnev1
    tomnev1 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    460mustang wrote: »
    dihydrogen monoxide (DHMO) sounds like this is some bad stuff, but it's a chemical name for water

If you want a laugh, google some of the pranks on people. It has been called the greatest prank of all time because it exposes both the ignorance of people and their good intentions at the same time. In short, it shows that very good people can make disastrous choices, but that's a bit existential for this.

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    The food you eat does not determine in any way if you are a good or bad person. Unless maybe you're eating kittens and small children.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Anyhow, I'm extremely, EXTREMELY suspicious of his dosage rates and more. As one person in the comments notes, the dosage is highly suspect.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK50952/

FOOD SAFETY AND PRESERVATION

As mentioned previously, the first major addition of sodium to foods was as salt, which acted to prevent spoilage. Prior to refrigeration, salt was one of the best methods for inhibiting the growth and survival of undesirable microorganisms. Although modern-day advances in food storage and packaging techniques and the speed of transportation have largely diminished this role, salt does remain in widespread use for preventing rapid spoilage (and thus extending product shelf life), creating an inhospitable environment for pathogens, and promoting the growth of desirable micro-organisms in various fermented foods and other products. Other sodium-containing compounds with preservative effects are also used in the food supply.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

19cthsq3h02qrpng.png

I always think that not being able to pronounce an ingredient is a crap reason for not eating something. I mean, do people not remember learning to read? Sound the words out! Most of the polysyllabic ingredients are phoenetically spelled.

Heh, that's what I was just thinking. So if I'm really good at figuring out how to pronounce that kind of word (which I am) than it makes it okay for me, even if not for you? Yay, me. Someone who has issues in that department and can't pronounce, say, durum or semolina should avoid pasta? Also, have you seen the list of cultures on most good yogurts?