Man boobs

Options
Hi everyone. I'm new to MFP and I was wondering what success any of yall have had with man boobs. I'm 6'1 280ish. What would be a healthy weight for me? And do you think the man boobs would go away? Sorry for the gross pictures.. Just would like an opinion.62vv5h2s9x9x.jpg
0zet6qqu8z3e.jpg

Replies

• leftyguitarplr
    leftyguitarplr Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You may want to seek out the opinion of a medical professional to rule out a hormonal imbalance and to see what's there. If there's breast mass, you may need a medical procedure to have it removed. I wish you well in your journey for a more healthy you.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    You've got probably ballpark 100lbs to lose, I'd work on that and then re-assess the situation. I'm guessing at the very least you will significantly reduce if not completely eliminate them.
  • Obeseinspector
    Obeseinspector Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Any anyone else has insight/experience I would appreciate it :)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Yes you will lose them if you lose the excess weight. No spot reduction, but you can exercise the underlying musle.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    My women boobs sure like to disappear quickly when I lose weight :'(

It's like anywhere else people carry fat-lose the weight and you will see them decrease as well.
  • kristen_wino
    kristen_wino Posts: 67 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Weight loss and chest Excersise. Eating better, using weights, doing chest excerise, cardio. Just try to keep motivavated. Good luck.!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Moobs...I hate 'em.

I'm 6'5" and started out at 258 lbs. I'm now 230.5 lbs and can definitely tell a difference. My goal weight is 210. I'm not sure if that will eliminate what I have, but it certainly will be better. The key right now, I think, is to concentrate on weight loss.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    There no targeted fat loss unfortunately. What you can do is build up your chest muscles as you lose fat to minimize the aesthetic appearance. Most of that will go away as you lose weight. Just hang in there and be patient with the loss - keep logging and working out and re-evaluate after a couple months.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    In my experience losing my moobs and finding them again is that slow, deliberate fat loss is the only way. Once you're down to a better body fat percentage (14-20%) you'll see significant reduction. Don't worry about anything else until you have lost some fat.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    To answer your weight question, your ideal range for your stats is 140.2 lbs - 189.5 lbs - http://www.calculator.net/ideal-weight-calculator.html?ctype=standard&cage=23&csex=m&cheightfeet=6&cheightinch=1&cheightmeter=180&printit=0&x=35&y=11

As you get closer to that range, you'll notice all the various bulges where you carry fat will start to shrink.
  • kalbo798
    kalbo798 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    pmm3437 wrote: »
    To answer your weight question, your ideal range for your stats is 140.2 lbs - 189.5 lbs - http://www.calculator.net/ideal-weight-calculator.html?ctype=standard&cage=23&csex=m&cheightfeet=6&cheightinch=1&cheightmeter=180&printit=0&x=35&y=11

As you get closer to that range, you'll notice all the various bulges where you carry fat will start to shrink.

What you say I somewhat agree with. But 6 foot 1 and 140 lbs is ideal? Debatable.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I applaud you OP. I can't seem to bring myself to posting a shirtless photo of myself. Not yet. All I can say is there is no way to tell you when your moobs will be gone a what weight.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    My women boobs sure like to disappear quickly when I lose weight :'(

It's like anywhere else people carry fat-lose the weight and you will see them decrease as well.

THIS!!!! ^^^^^
  • kalbo798
    kalbo798 Posts: 58 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    BTW OP your moobs have nothing on mine. I went from 380 to 280 but still have them and realistically I have another 80-90 to lose before I can say it's anything besides fat.
  • yopeeps025
    edited July 2015
    Options
    You may want to seek out the opinion of a medical professional to rule out a hormonal imbalance and to see what's there. If there's breast mass, you may need a medical procedure to have it removed. I wish you well in your journey for a more healthy you.

This OP too. Also I hope you find better answers than I did when got everything checked by my doctor.

• tomnev1
    tomnev1 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat it about the pic. Actually do sweat it. That's exactly what you need to do.

You'll find this hard but it works. Build up to doing a 5km (3 mile) walk three days a week and combine this with healthy eating. Start walking. Obviously there is a chance it's hormonal, but let's be honest, that's just something people tell themselves when they give up on exercise and healthy eating.

If you're honest enough to post the pic, then you're honest enough to know that the solution is exercise and diet.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    tomnev1 wrote: »
    Don't sweat it about the pic. Actually do sweat it. That's exactly what you need to do.

You'll find this hard but it works. Build up to doing a 5km (3 mile) walk three days a week and combine this with healthy eating. Start walking. Obviously there is a chance it's hormonal, but let's be honest, that's just something people tell themselves when they give up on exercise and healthy eating.

If you're honest enough to post the pic, then you're honest enough to know that the solution is exercise and diet.

Or he doesn't know what to check for. OP when is the last time you had a physical? Your doctor should of had some comments for your moobs I would think.

• colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options

I can't +1 this enough.

I, too, am 6'0", and at the start of March I weighed 248. The man-boobs are the thing that annoys me the most, and keeps me motivated to work out, count calories, and walk.

The walking is crucial. And easy. When I don't make time to walk, the weight loss stalls. I'd recommend you get a FitBit Zip or something similar, and strive for 10K steps per day. A simple walk every morning, or evening after dinner, does wonders.

And then count calories. Get a food scale, be consistent with it, be honest with it.

It's going to take time for the man boobs to go away. I live heavy (started with StrongLifts 5x5) and even after two years of lifting, building muscle, I still have man-boobs that drive me nuts. But they're shrinking, and I know when I get my bodyfat under a certain percentage, they'll be gone.

As for body weight: a 6' guy without a lot of muscle should probably weigh about 180 lbs.

One other thing to consider: as you go on this weight loss journey, if you are diligent with calorie counting and walking, and maintain a deficit week-to-week, you will lose weight, but it's not going to be exclusively fat. Some muscle loss will occur. A lifting program can negate that, allowing you to maintain your lean muscle mass while losing almost entirely fat. Something to look into. You'll come out the other side looking better and being stronger.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

I can't +1 this enough.

I, too, am 6'0", and at the start of March I weighed 248. The man-boobs are the thing that annoys me the most, and keeps me motivated to work out, count calories, and walk.

The walking is crucial. And easy. When I don't make time to walk, the weight loss stalls. I'd recommend you get a FitBit Zip or something similar, and strive for 10K steps per day. A simple walk every morning, or evening after dinner, does wonders.

And then count calories. Get a food scale, be consistent with it, be honest with it.

It's going to take time for the man boobs to go away. I live heavy (started with StrongLifts 5x5) and even after two years of lifting, building muscle, I still have man-boobs that drive me nuts. But they're shrinking, and I know when I get my bodyfat under a certain percentage, they'll be gone.

As for body weight: a 6' guy without a lot of muscle should probably weigh about 180 lbs.

One other thing to consider: as you go on this weight loss journey, if you are diligent with calorie counting and walking, and maintain a deficit week-to-week, you will lose weight, but it's not going to be exclusively fat. Some muscle loss will occur. A lifting program can negate that, allowing you to maintain your lean muscle mass while losing almost entirely fat. Something to look into. You'll come out the other side looking better and being stronger.

My very first goal is get small enough for my breast to turn to pec. I notice now I will have to go lower than my ticker or my funny will change in a funny way with the next ten pounds.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    My very first goal is get small enough for my breast to turn to pec. I notice now I will have to go lower than my ticker or my funny will change in a funny way with the next ten pounds.

It's just a matter of fat loss. I remind myself, daily: the pecs are already there, hidden underneath the fat. I can get stronger, and make the pecs bigger, but they're going to still look like boobs until the fat covering them is gone,

And unfortunately, that part is entirely diet (calorie deficit).

I wish rockin' a calorie deficit were as much fun as lifting...