Man boobs

Options

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Is it better or worse if they are not the same size? I've always had a bigger moob on the left than on the right... for years as they have shrunk or grown, they do so together with the left moob always being more saggy and just more fat.

Well if they've never completely gone away it's probably gyno from a hormonal imbalance. Idk, depends how you like them? lol.

What would you consider a good body fat % to get down to decided if it times to prepare for surgery? I am prepared to get to single digit body fat %.
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Saving money isn't going to be a bad idea in any case. My guess is you're going to see them shrink at some point more than you are expecting and end up happy with how your chest looks in the end, especially if you build up some muscle. If that's the case you can either store the money away, invest it, or spend it on something else you'd like.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Is it better or worse if they are not the same size? I've always had a bigger moob on the left than on the right... for years as they have shrunk or grown, they do so together with the left moob always being more saggy and just more fat.

Well if they've never completely gone away it's probably gyno from a hormonal imbalance. Idk, depends how you like them? lol.

What would you consider a good body fat % to get down to decided if it times to prepare for surgery? I am prepared to get to single digit body fat %.

I really have no idea. When I went to my doctor, I tried to get a case opened to get surgery to remove my gyno. Doctor said "You need to have a healthy BMI"... which was pretty ambiguous because BMI is totally useless in my eyes. So I couldn't get free surgery, I'd have to make a case and lie about it making me depressed.. which it's not.

I'd say get to 10-12% body fat.

Currently saving for it, gonna cost me around £4,000.

Money :(
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Saving money isn't going to be a bad idea in any case. My guess is you're going to see them shrink at some point more than you are expecting and end up happy with how your chest looks in the end, especially if you build up some muscle. If that's the case you can either store the money away, invest it, or spend it on something else you'd like.

I can hope for that. If I did have a hormone imbalance in puberty stage it is gone now. I actually have muscle definition I can see it just the amount of fat that sits on top of my lower half of chest.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

They get bigger and smaller over time. Even as I lose weight, they sometimes get bigger and then will get smaller again. But regardless of what size they are at the time, the left one is always more saggy of a moob than the right one. I don't like that they are not even, but I'm not ready to spend thousands of dollars to fix it.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options

They get bigger and smaller over time. Even as I lose weight, they sometimes get bigger and then will get smaller again. But regardless of what size they are at the time, the left one is always more saggy of a moob than the right one. I don't like that they are not even, but I'm not ready to spend thousands of dollars to fix it.

Probably more glandular tissue on one side. The look of getting bigger and smaller will be fat covering them and decreasing in those regions.

Seeing as I can't get the surgery for free, I am absolutely prepared to spend whatever I can on it. I'm almost there... almost.

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Women seldom have perfectly even sized breasts. So I'm not surprised that men may be a little uneven too. That area will shrink as your body fat reduces. You might want to look into a compression style undershirt if you are concerned about appearance in the meantime. Work on those pecs to build muscle into the area as the fat goes down. :)
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Women seldom have perfectly even sized breasts. So I'm not surprised that men may be a little uneven too. That area will shrink as your body fat reduces. You might want to look into a compression style undershirt if you are concerned about appearance in the meantime. Work on those pecs to build muscle into the area as the fat goes down. :)

I've found that compression vests actually make me look worse lol.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

That is not the issue for me though. Clothes on is fine now. My chest does not look like my profile pic in a beater anymore. The issue comes when the clothes come off or at the beach feeling as though you are the guy that has bigger breast then most men do at the beach.

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

They actually have gotten bigger at times while losing weight. At this point they have shrunk, but ask me in a month and they might have gotten bigger again.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

They actually have gotten bigger at times while losing weight. At this point they have shrunk, but ask me in a month and they might have gotten bigger again.

I think if they have got bigger then you can assume you lost muscle mass in your breast. You know what that means for you. Dedicate chest workout day.

flies and presses
    incline, decline, and flat
    dumbbells and barbells.
    Pushups lots of them.

BTW I love my chest day almost as much as I love my deadlift days.

• yopeeps025
    Options

I really have no idea. When I went to my doctor, I tried to get a case opened to get surgery to remove my gyno. Doctor said "You need to have a healthy BMI"... which was pretty ambiguous because BMI is totally useless in my eyes. So I couldn't get free surgery, I'd have to make a case and lie about it making me depressed.. which it's not.

Honestly I just want to get to 8-10% just to see how muscular I look so that is still my plan. So you saying that if you are in healthy range that there might be compensation to help with this surgery? Lucky that side of the world. I don't think that is how it works in the USA.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options

Honestly I just want to get to 8-10% just to see how muscular I look so that is still my plan. So you saying that if you are in healthy range that there might be compensation to help with this surgery? Lucky that side of the world. I don't think that is how it works in the USA.

In the UK, we mainly use the NHS unless you go private.

I remember the doc saying that if gyno was affecting my mentally, i.e. making me depressed or anxious then I could make a case for it and go through a psychiatrist. However, there'd be a waiting list which is pretty long.

If my gyno was so severe that it actually hurt, then it'd be done without any sort of hesitation.

But because it only makes me anxious to a pretty small extent, I was just given a consultation appointment with a clinic and they pretty much said it will cost me £4,000. I've been saving ever since.
  • chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

I've been told that 12% BF is healthy for men and 15% for women. Just information from a trainer though, he could have fudged the numbers. He told me himself he's been at 8% BF but couldn't maintain that comfortably.
  • allbarrett
    allbarrett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    OP, you are overweight. Your moobs could be either pubertal gynecomastia (caused by hormonal imbalances) or gynecomastia from being overweight.

One method to tell is go see your doctor, he'll inspect and feel for extra gland tissue underneath your nipple. Only way to remove pubertal gynecomastia is through surgery.

If it's not pubertal gynecomastia then just eat in a caloric deficit, your body fat will reduce over your body and your moobs will reduce or completely go at a certain weight. Lift heavy too.

Thanks, I was about to write something on this also. Some guys just grow genuine breasts (not just the fatty deposits but the underlying tissue) and weight has nothing to do with it. Get checked out by your GP, raise the issue, and have them check for it. Be strong!
  • troush42
    troush42 Posts: 1 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm 6'4" and have gone from 320 down to 230 over the last 3 years. It wasn't until this year that my moobs pretty much disappeared. Right about the point that I fell under the "obese" range for the BMI, and as I closed in on a healthier 20% body fat. As others have suggested, doing a combination of cardio and resistance training (including body weight resistance like pull-ups/push-ups) is going to be your best bet for both losing the weight and moobs. I would also say to change one big habit at a time. For me, I started getting back into a regular workout pattern of 5-6 days a week to start (changing workout programs periodically), followed by stopping eating when I got full (3-6 months later), followed by eating for one (another 6 months), followed by tracking calories (almost a year later).

The transitions between these periods was pretty lengthy as I was more concerned about building good habits than losing weight fast (which seems to fail for most people), and I also typically lost a couple pounds/week for the first 6 months of the year followed by 6 months of weight maintenance. Not going to tell anyone that you won't have success another way, but on the other side of weight loss you need to have changed the habits that put the weight on in the first place, or you'll fall back again.

Good luck with building a healthier lifestyle.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

In the UK, we mainly use the NHS unless you go private.

I remember the doc saying that if gyno was affecting my mentally, i.e. making me depressed or anxious then I could make a case for it and go through a psychiatrist. However, there'd be a waiting list which is pretty long.

If my gyno was so severe that it actually hurt, then it'd be done without any sort of hesitation.

But because it only makes me anxious to a pretty small extent, I was just given a consultation appointment with a clinic and they pretty much said it will cost me £4,000. I've been saving ever since.

Well I hate to admit but at one point I was like man breast cancer would be something right. They get to take these things right out.

I'm not that way anymore because I have a plan that I hope works and if not I am going to be a muscular dude with moobs.

• yopeeps025
    Options
    chelsy0587 wrote: »

I've been told that 12% BF is healthy for men and 15% for women. Just information from a trainer though, he could have fudged the numbers. He told me himself he's been at 8% BF but couldn't maintain that comfortably.

Getting rid of my breast is a priority over stay at 12% when I get there and I will.

• for_ever_young66
    for_ever_young66 Posts: 2,878 Member
    Options
    I think weight loss, cardio and some muscle training can help eliminate those. You may want to lose some of the weight first before going into strength training.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

I think if they have got bigger then you can assume you lost muscle mass in your breast. You know what that means for you. Dedicate chest workout day.

flies and presses
    incline, decline, and flat
    dumbbells and barbells.
    Pushups lots of them.

BTW I love my chest day almost as much as I love my deadlift days.

No, because they also get smaller as I lose weight. So basically, if I lose weight for 5 months, my moobs might get smaller the first month or 2, then get larger the 3rd month, then get smaller again during the 5th month. That is while doing some exercises for chest and other exercises for other upper body muscles (back, shoulders, arms). There is no real pattern to moob size, though.