Losing a pound a day

Options
I've lost 4 pounds since Sunday which is a pound a day. I'm not excessively obese but if you were to see me down the street, I look healthy. I'm having really no problem losing the weight and eating the way I am...I'm just afraid I'm losing muscle. Whatcha guys think?

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Most likely normal fluctuations. Do you think that you really ate at a 3500 calorie per day deficit since then?
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Have you been working out pretty hard ? If so it's probably water.
  • las07s
    las07s Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    You are fine, it's just water weight. You could have been retaining water for multiple reasons: dehydration, sodium intake, diet, hormonal changes... I'm sure someone who is more of an expert will come along and explain this better than I can, but that's just the way it tends to go.
  • chandelierbee
    chandelierbee Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Most likely normal fluctuations. Do you think that you really ate at a 3500 calorie per day deficit since then?

No probably like 1000-1200 but some how I'm always close to my 2800mg sodium intake. I know it's water weight bc I weighed myself after I got up and went to the bathroom but since last week my actual weight minus the water weight has been going down. I've also been aiming to burn 3500 cals but realistically I'm burning 2500 at least.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

No probably like 1000-1200 but some how I'm always close to my 2800mg sodium intake. I know it's water weight bc I weighed myself after I got up and went to the bathroom but since last week my actual weight minus the water weight has been going down. I've also been aiming to burn 3500 cals but realistically I'm burning 2500 at least.

Are you saying that you're eating 1,000-1,200 and burning 2,500-3,500 a day?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

How much do you eat in calories?

I am going to assume OP that your ticker is incorrect. If it is correct then this thread is going to take a turn.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    As long as it's not a pound each day consistently I wouldn't worry about it. Now, 30 pounds in a month would be a little too fast and I'd be concerned about muscle loss.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    did you just start dieting? if so, you're dropping a lot of water weight...you are also eating less so you have less inherent waste in your system. enjoy it...it well level off soon.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Take a look at OP ticker.
  • bibliophage
    bibliophage Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How I could lose so much water weight at the beginning of every diet and so little weight after the first few days always perplexed me until I read up on the science of it. Every well-fed person stores about 1500-1800 kcal of glycogen (a form of carbohydrate) in their liver and muscles. That glycogen by itself weighs only a pound or a little less, but glycogen is always stored in the body along with about 3.5 times its own weight of water. To a first approximation, when you go on a calorie-resticted diet your first 1800 kcal of deficit is associated with the loss of virtually all that glycogen and its associated water, totaling about 4 pounds. That's an astounding pound lost for every 450 kcal of deficit. After the glycogen is depleted, you need a depressingly large deficit of 3500 kcal to lose a pound of fat. The sharp dropoff in the amount of weight lost after the first week--even when the calorie deficit doesn't change--can really discourage you if you're not prepared for it.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Most people don't lose steadily. I just lost 1.6lbs overnight. And .6lbs the day before that. But then I'd only lose .4lbs the day before that, and before that, I was actually higher than my previous low (but didn't record it because my feed was looking crazy).
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    A pound a day is a 3,500 calorie deficit. So . . . if you're hiking in the mountains and burning 6500 calories a day but only eating 3000 calories, then you are definitely losing a pound a day.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    How I could lose so much water weight at the beginning of every diet and so little weight after the first few days always perplexed me until I read up on the science of it. Every well-fed person stores about 1500-1800 kcal of glycogen (a form of carbohydrate) in their liver and muscles. That glycogen by itself weighs only a pound or a little less, but glycogen is always stored in the body along with about 3.5 times its own weight of water. To a first approximation, when you go on a calorie-resticted diet your first 1800 kcal of deficit is associated with the loss of virtually all that glycogen and its associated water, totaling about 4 pounds. That's an astounding pound lost for every 450 kcal of deficit. After the glycogen is depleted, you need a depressingly large deficit of 3500 kcal to lose a pound of fat. The sharp dropoff in the amount of weight lost after the first week--even when the calorie deficit doesn't change--can really discourage you if you're not prepared for it.

Helpful post is helpful.

That bolded text - this is something I try and say to the MFP posters who I know are new to losing weight. "You're going to lose a lot in the first week - and then it's going to stop. Then, it'll start again, but at a much slower pace."

The problem is, so many people rely on the emotional high of "motivation" to drive them. When this initial loss tapers off, their high drops like a stone and they give up.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options

Helpful post is helpful.

That bolded text - this is something I try and say to the MFP posters who I know are new to losing weight. "You're going to lose a lot in the first week - and then it's going to stop. Then, it'll start again, but at a much slower pace."

The problem is, so many people rely on the emotional high of "motivation" to drive them. When this initial loss tapers off, their high drops like a stone and they give up.

Exactly!!!
  • chandelierbee
    Options

I am going to assume OP that your ticker is incorrect. If it is correct then this thread is going to take a turn.[/quote]

I eat less than 1400 cals per day. And this sounds stupid but what is a ticker?
  • atypicalsmith
    Options

I am going to assume OP that your ticker is incorrect. If it is correct then this thread is going to take a turn.

[/quote]

It's the thing on your profile page that shows how many pounds you've lost and how many you still need to lose.
  • yopeeps025
    edited July 2015
    Options

Your ticker says you lost 12 pound and have 4 more to go.

You eat 1400 calories a day and try to burn 3500 but maybe its 2500. That equals a negative net. You are starving yourself for four pounds lost on the scale. That is a problem.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Pretty much.....according to their diary.

This probably won't end well.

OP, what are your stats?

Ht/Wt/How much do you work out.
  • chandelierbee
    Options
    I also have been doing this going on a month and a half. I just got a Fitbit for Father's Day (dad was supposed to get it but said he'd rather see me use it so he gave me it, $145 I spent ....for myself...on Father's Day) the Fitbit is really incouraging and I've lost 12 pounds in a month and a half. I think that's really good and pretty healthy since I walk my @$$ off with 6 dogs and for a month 2 more dogs that weren't mine and I was babysitting
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    I also have been doing this going on a month and a half. I just got a Fitbit for Father's Day (dad was supposed to get it but said he'd rather see me use it so he gave me it, $145 I spent ....for myself...on Father's Day) the Fitbit is really incouraging and I've lost 12 pounds in a month and a half. I think that's really good and pretty healthy since I walk my @$$ off with 6 dogs and for a month 2 more dogs that weren't mine and I was babysitting

You lost weight but I am sure you lost a lot of whatever lean body mass(everything else that is not fat) with it too.