Beyond frustrated! Why am I not losing??

Options

Replies

• orchidee1987
    orchidee1987 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    It has been shown, at least in mice, that an ISOCALORIC high carb or high fat diet increases fat gain (compared to ''normal'' diet), causes obesity (characterised by a low to mild state of chronic inflammation) and is correlated with insulin resistance among others. Yep a '' a calorie is a calorie'', no matter if it comes from carbs, proteins or fat ... Of course it's still a unit of energy ...But don't think that our bodies don't make the difference between the source of this calorie. Don't ignore the metabolic and inflammatory pathways involved, as well as the importance of our intestinal microbiota. Lots of articles on the subject on Pubmed web site among others. Don't expect me to argue on the subject, just a word from someone who has been working in a lab on inflammation and obesity
  • dennshah01
    dennshah01 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    foxlme wrote: »
    At the risk of incurring the wrath of the hardcore CICO people :) I had the same problems when I was super vigilant about staying around 1300 calories and working on regularly without eating calories back. I'd lose a tiny bit but nothing like what pure math showed I should. (And YES, CICO people, I weighed and recorded all my food!). Once I gave myself freedom to increase what I was eating my weight has started dropping. I now eat around 1600-1700 calories depending on how many calories my fitbit shows I burned that day (usually around 2000). Now I'm seeing progress.

so you are the one person in the history of man that defies physics and eats above maintenance calories and loses weight?

More than likely you were not logging accurately.

I plugged the OP's stats into Scoobys, and her TDEE for 3-5 hours of moderate exercise a week is 2094 cals a day. If she is doing 1-3 hours of light exercise, her maintenance is 1857 cals a day. Do you think she is eating more than 1857 a day? Also, since she only wants to lose 20 lbs, maybe the deficit shouldn't be so high? I would go with a 20% deficit, which would yield around 3 lbs a month. Patience and a healthy weight loss is the key.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    melcawi wrote: »
    I asked for suggestions because I have been accurately tracking what I eat. Surely others have had the same issue.

Prove it, open your diary. Otherwise, the flowchart is as you need.

• majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options

if you are talking about TEF =Thematic Effect of Food - it has been shown to increase calorie burn slightly but the overall impact is negligible. Maybe an extra ten to twenty calories a day.

As far as protein, protein is recommended to help one maintain existing muscle mass when in a deficit. If you want to add new muscle you need to run a bulk and eat in a caloric surplus, and when you do that carbohydrate intake is actually more important than protein intake. The only caveat to this would be an untrained beginner who may be able to make some muscle gains in a calorie deficit.

Good to know!

• dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    You are likely not eating enough.
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    And beach body is a scam.
    The workout videos are good. The marketing scheme and the other bs they try to push on you are the scam.

You gotta treat it like the website you go to for your dirty videos. Enjoy the videos, don't click the ads.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    It has been shown, at least in mice, that an ISOCALORIC high carb or high fat diet increases fat gain (compared to ''normal'' diet), causes obesity (characterised by a low to mild state of chronic inflammation) and is correlated with insulin resistance among others. Yep a '' a calorie is a calorie'', no matter if it comes from carbs, proteins or fat ... Of course it's still a unit of energy ...But don't think that our bodies don't make the difference between the source of this calorie. Don't ignore the metabolic and inflammatory pathways involved, as well as the importance of our intestinal microbiota. Lots of articles on the subject on Pubmed web site among others. Don't expect me to argue on the subject, just a word from someone who has been working in a lab on inflammation and obesity

mice do not equal humans...

so you are saying that a high carb diet while in a calorie deficit leads to obesity?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    dennshah01 wrote: »
    foxlme wrote: »
    At the risk of incurring the wrath of the hardcore CICO people :) I had the same problems when I was super vigilant about staying around 1300 calories and working on regularly without eating calories back. I'd lose a tiny bit but nothing like what pure math showed I should. (And YES, CICO people, I weighed and recorded all my food!). Once I gave myself freedom to increase what I was eating my weight has started dropping. I now eat around 1600-1700 calories depending on how many calories my fitbit shows I burned that day (usually around 2000). Now I'm seeing progress.

so you are the one person in the history of man that defies physics and eats above maintenance calories and loses weight?

More than likely you were not logging accurately.

I plugged the OP's stats into Scoobys, and her TDEE for 3-5 hours of moderate exercise a week is 2094 cals a day. If she is doing 1-3 hours of light exercise, her maintenance is 1857 cals a day. Do you think she is eating more than 1857 a day? Also, since she only wants to lose 20 lbs, maybe the deficit shouldn't be so high? I would go with a 20% deficit, which would yield around 3 lbs a month. Patience and a healthy weight loss is the key.

please re-read who I was replying to.

This reply was to another poster, no to the OP.

Finally, do you really think that if OP TDEE is 1857 that she is not losing weight on 1200. So your recommendation would be to eat more? So adding 587 calories a day is going to result in weight loss? Or is that not what you are saying?
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    OP...what type of exercises are you doing.

At 1200 calories you should be losing about 1 1/2 lbs per week. If you are not losing (barring a medical condition) then maybe the problem is in the exercise burns.

I am 62...eat mainly close to 1400. I walk and do "light" resistance training. I don't eat any of those calories back because I don't think that I burn enough to worry about...I do those things for health. I lose about 6lbs a month. Maybe try not eating those calories back for a week and see if that makes the scale move.

I will say though...I have gone up to 3 weeks and not seen the scale move...then all of a sudden drop a significant amount of weight in a week.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    OP, we have similar stats. I am 55 years old, started at 148 pounds, only needed to lose 15 or so. I began at 1200 calories and IMMEDIATELY began losing 1 pound a week. I exercise 3-4 times a week and eat almost all of those calories back (although I am conservative about estimating the calorie burn). My loss has slowed a bit and has been up and down (i.e. not linear) but always trending down. I've lost 8 pounds so far. So, all I can assume is that there are discrepancies in your weighing/measuring/logging and maybe overestimating your calorie burn. As others have said, you have to be scrupulous about weighing and not take for granted the accuracy of nutritional labels.
  • jfatheree78
    jfatheree78 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    There could be a medical/hormonal issue. Despite what these others proclaim you don't have to eat at a deficit to lose otherwise Adkins and Paleo wouldn't work for people. I think what you eat does matter as much if not more than how much you eat. A friend of mine, also 50 had the same problem as you. She cut out processed sugar and the weight melted off. I have another friend who went strictly Paleo, ate lots, didn't track calories and lots over 100 lbs. It may be worth talking to a nutritionist.
  • rglovorn
    rglovorn Posts: 12 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    5' 3" sw:170 cw: 150 gw: 128. I concur with whmscll...I have lost 20 pounds eating around 1200 a day and am extremely sedentary (desk job and bonified couch potato). If I go 2 weeks of hovering around a number on the scale, I relook at my measuring, tighten up a bit and start dropping again. It has been slow, but 'slow and steady wins the race'! There is a great video I saw yesterday that shows 2 days of meals that look virtually identical, but one is around 1000 cals more than the other. Maybe someone will post it here because it really demonstrates the importance of accurate measuring :)
  • rglovorn
    rglovorn Posts: 12 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
  • jessspurr
    jessspurr Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    There could be a medical/hormonal issue. Despite what these others proclaim you don't have to eat at a deficit to lose otherwise Adkins and Paleo wouldn't work for people. I think what you eat does matter as much if not more than how much you eat. A friend of mine, also 50 had the same problem as you. She cut out processed sugar and the weight melted off. I have another friend who went strictly Paleo, ate lots, didn't track calories and lots over 100 lbs. It may be worth talking to a nutritionist.

Atkins and Paleo cut out some really high calorie food groups (like...bread, for example). If all a person did was cut out bread and continued eating ALL of the other foods they ate before...they would have reduced calories by the how much was in the bread they used to eat. That is the ONLY reason diets like those work. They are designed to cut calories. If a person on Atkins cut out bread but replaced those calories with cheese? They would not lose weight. Because science.
  • jessspurr
    Options
    You CAN eat a lot on a low carb diet because low carb things (like, veggies) have fewer calories. It can FEEL like you are eating more calories because you are eating a larger volume of food, but it's still fewer calories.
  • jessspurr
    Options
    rglovorn wrote: »

Awesome video. Thank you. It's so easy to think you know how big of a portion something is but unless you weigh it, you don't know for sure!
  • carlypi314
    carlypi314 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    So, yes, 1200 calories is 1200 calories no matter what. With that being said you will not see the same kind of results from a so called "empty calorie" (i.e. processed foods high in fats and sugars) as you will from eating foods that are more nutritious.

As for the Beachbody being a scam I'm not sure what this refers to. I've purchased workout programs from them and used said workouts and have seen results.
  • ndj1979
    edited July 2015
    Options
    carlypie84 wrote: »
    So, yes, 1200 calories is 1200 calories no matter what. With that being said you will not see the same kind of results from a so called "empty calorie" (i.e. processed foods high in fats and sugars) as you will from eating foods that are more nutritious.

As for the Beachbody being a scam I'm not sure what this refers to. I've purchased workout programs from them and used said workouts and have seen results.

Hmmm so person A eats 1200 calories of processed food and is in a 500calorie deficit; person B eats 1200 calories of clean foods and is in a 500 calorie deficit; both have the same macro distribution. Who loses more weight person A, person B, or C) both lose about the same...

• skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    What kind of calories are you taking in? Cutting back on calories makes a huge difference but also making sure you're eating a full array of healthy calories of all your food groups can make a huge difference as well. When do you do your workouts? In the morning before you eat is a great time for cardio.

The 21 day fix from Beachbody has a really great and easy to follow workout/diet plan that has helped me more than anything else I've tried.

This is rubbish advice. Not everyone can workout fasted, I for one end up feeling sick, weak and dizzy.

Yes it's great to eat a wide range of food, but in reality if she's eating in a deficit she should be losing weight regardless of food choices.

Beach body = money grabber

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Google the Twinkies Diet....

BeachBody is not well regarded here due, mostly, the the behaviour of their "coaches" , it's a MLM scheme that tries to suck people into selling their products. As to the quality of their products I can't say as I've never used them.