suggest the fastest calories burning gym machine please

Options
Hey people.. share ur experiences abt gym machines and which one u find most effective :)

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    As far as burning calories, goes anything that moves your whole body is going to burn more calories than something which works only part. A faster speed will also burn more calories so your intensity is going to affect how much you burn. Running on a treadmill burns more calories than walking on a treadmill, for example. Running burns more calories than biking, in general, but someone who is really fit might be able to add enough resistance to the bike and maintain a high enough speed to burn more calories than a similar session running.

For me, though, I find lifting weights to be more effective than cardio. I've gotten better results over time.
  • headwind2015
    headwind2015 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hit the swimming pool if you're gym has one.
  • jasminerz2015
    jasminerz2015 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hit the swimming pool if you're gym has one.

No swimming pool here ... I m living in Pakistan :)
  • jasminerz2015
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    As far as burning calories, goes anything that moves your whole body is going to burn more calories than something which works only part. A faster speed will also burn more calories so your intensity is going to affect how much you burn. Running on a treadmill burns more calories than walking on a treadmill, for example. Running burns more calories than biking, in general, but someone who is really fit might be able to add enough resistance to the bike and maintain a high enough speed to burn more calories than a similar session running.

For me, though, I find lifting weights to be more effective than cardio. I've gotten better results over time.
    i

Wat abt elliptical .. does it work if I use it standing way.. plus I heard it hardens thighs and make them bigger .. is it true ?
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I personally swim and it has been the best thing ever for shaping up my whole body in a low impact format, but I see a lot of people getting huge calorie burns from the elliptical machine. Bike riding is pretty huge too, but again it is all lower body. If your goal is to tighten up and not just burn calories, I would either go with swimming (it does both) or start weights if you can.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options

i

Wat abt elliptical .. does it work if I use it standing way.. plus I heard it hardens thighs and make them bigger .. is it true ?

Your thighs can't get bigger if you're eating a calorie deficit. Focus more on your intake than what you can burn, as machines are often wrong.
  • autodominio
    autodominio Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Forget about the equipment. What you need to do to burn more calories a minute is to get your heart rate going.
    And you can do this by doing jumping jacks, running in place or any type of cardio really. So elliptical and treadmill are choices.
    Do this calculation to get your max heart rate 220 - your age.
    So if you're 25 then you max heart rate is approx. 195. Work until your heart is at about 90% of your heart rate and this will give you the highest calorie burn per minute.

Disclaimer: Consult your doctor before you actually do this. Specially if you haven't been too active lately.

So I answered the question but I'll add this.
    Why kill yourself like that? You'll do a couple workouts like this and then give up b/c is too hard?
    I'd rather advice you to find a workout that you like that works you out but that you enjoy and can do long term as well.
  • jasminerz2015
    Options
    Forget about the equipment. What you need to do to burn more calories a minute is to get your heart rate going.
    And you can do this by doing jumping jacks, running in place or any type of cardio really. So elliptical and treadmill are choices.
    Do this calculation to get your max heart rate 220 - your age.
    So if you're 25 then you max heart rate is approx. 195. Work until your heart is at about 90% of your heart rate and this will give you the highest calorie burn per minute.

Disclaimer: Consult your doctor before you actually do this. Specially if you haven't been too active lately.

So I answered the question but I'll add this.
    Why kill yourself like that? You'll do a couple workouts like this and then give up b/c is too hard?
    I'd rather advice you to find a workout that you like that works you out but that you enjoy and can do long term as well.

Thanx yea!! Ur reply sounds good to me and ur way of loosing weight is different yet interesting .. I wish to add u if u don't mind .
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

i

Elliptical is fine. You can't bulk up/build muscle while eating at a calorie deficit and cardio doesn't build much muscle, regardless.

I agree with @autodominio . You're better off finding an activity that you enjoy rather than trying to pinpoint the one with the biggest calorie burn. The best exercise is one you like enough to stick with. Personally, if my choice was the elliptical, the treadmill, or nothing, I'd choose nothing. I don't need to exercise to lose weight. I do that by simply eating fewer calories.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Does you gym have a machine that takes away your food?
  • NesCastanon
    NesCastanon Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Stairclimber. Depending on your weight you can easily burn 600-800 calories in 1 hr.
  • ljones27uk
    ljones27uk Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    always been the treadmill for me..
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    your calorie burns are going to largely be attributable to your intensity of work, not the machine you use or your exercise medium.
  • TyphonRex
    TyphonRex Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Absolutely unequivocally go with the Fork Putdown machine.

No other machine or lift will compare.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Stairclimber. Depending on your weight you can easily burn 600-800 calories in 1 hr.

Even at 130, I can burn 400 an hour.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    TyphonRex wrote: »
    Absolutely unequivocally go with the Fork Putdown machine.

No other machine or lift will compare.

Fork Putdown machine does not work! There are still all those spoons....and fingers.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Running gives me the most calorie burn over anything else. But on days I'm just not feeling it, I walk on an incline on the treadmill.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I use an elliptical due to an old knee injury. This has been my go to machine.

Just make sure you push yourself, regardless of what machine you're on.

Where in Pakistan? Been a long time, but I spent close to 2 years up the NW provinces.
  • jasminerz2015
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I use an elliptical due to an old knee injury. This has been my go to machine.

Just make sure you push yourself, regardless of what machine you're on.

Where in Pakistan? Been a long time, but I spent close to 2 years up the NW provinces.

Karachi
  • jasminerz2015
    Options
    Does you gym have a machine that takes away your food?

Lol.. I wish !! But I have good control over my appetite:)