I need help

Options
124»

Replies

• Krystle1984
    Krystle1984 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Just say I only wanted some help not abuse I was only saying what I do to try and lose weight am not a pro and just for the record I was 3-
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Hi there I found this

Stationary bikes are in their own class of cardio machines because they support your body weight, Olson says. "If the bike is calculating calories based on technical data such as METs (metabolic equivalents) and watts (which measures power output), the calorie readout can be very accurate." In fact, researchers at the University of California at San Francisco's Human Performance Center found stationary bikes to be themost accurate of all cardio machines, with an overestimation of only seven percent.

One thing to keep in mind: A bike can't determine your pedaling technique, which could throw off your final count, Olson says. "For example, you will burn more calories if you are using a standing climb posture at a heavy resistance, compared to seated pedaling at the same resistance. This is because when you stand and climb, you are no longer weight supported." How big is the difference? According to Olson, a 15-minute standing climb burns about 15 percent more calories than seated pedaling at the same resistance.

Boost your burn: Pedal with purpose! You'll burn fewer calories overall (seated or standing) if you pedal without enough resistance. Try this killer cycling routineto blast 500 calories in 35 minutes!

I'm not trying to be mean, but it seems like you're trying REALLY hard to justify the machine's number.

We are all telling you, it's off, and it's off A LOT.

Your choice now is to either accept that truth (and it IS the truth), or continue to fail at weight loss.

Well for your information I was thinking of taking it back to the shop just posting what I read before I bought a bike

I paid 700 UK pounds for what I thought was the best at Reading the calories as it all the technical stuff on it

The bike is still fit for purpose. It will still help you reach your goals. You just have to adjust how many calories you're logging.

Just be glad you realised early on how inaccurate the burn was and adjust it going forward. Good luck! :)

So I can I tell what am doing as it's telling me am doing 1600 cal say I did 30 min on hardest settings
    Just say I only wanted some help not abuse I was only saying what I do to try and lose weight am not a pro and just for the record I was 3-
    Hi there I found this

Stationary bikes are in their own class of cardio machines because they support your body weight, Olson says. "If the bike is calculating calories based on technical data such as METs (metabolic equivalents) and watts (which measures power output), the calorie readout can be very accurate." In fact, researchers at the University of California at San Francisco's Human Performance Center found stationary bikes to be themost accurate of all cardio machines, with an overestimation of only seven percent.

One thing to keep in mind: A bike can't determine your pedaling technique, which could throw off your final count, Olson says. "For example, you will burn more calories if you are using a standing climb posture at a heavy resistance, compared to seated pedaling at the same resistance. This is because when you stand and climb, you are no longer weight supported." How big is the difference? According to Olson, a 15-minute standing climb burns about 15 percent more calories than seated pedaling at the same resistance.

Boost your burn: Pedal with purpose! You'll burn fewer calories overall (seated or standing) if you pedal without enough resistance. Try this killer cycling routineto blast 500 calories in 35 minutes!

I'm not trying to be mean, but it seems like you're trying REALLY hard to justify the machine's number.

Your choice now is to either accept that truth (and it IS the truth), or continue to fail at weight loss.

Well for your information I was thinking of taking it back to the shop just posting what I read before I bought a bike

I paid 700 UK pounds for what I thought was the best at Reading the calories as it all the technical stuff on it

The bike is still fit for purpose. It will still help you reach your goals. You just have to adjust how many calories you're logging.

Just be glad you realised early on how inaccurate the burn was and adjust it going forward. Good luck! :)

So if I stick to what am doing say 30min at the hardest level how do work out what cal am doing

There are lots of online calculators you can use. You could even take the MFP burn if you logged it on here, although I usually halve that. No exercise bikes are ever really that accurate for calorie burn unfortunately.
  • Krystle1984
    Krystle1984 Posts: 146 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hi there I found this

So I can I tell what am doing as it's telling me am doing 1600 cal say I did 30 min on hardest settings
    Hi there I found this

So if I stick to what am doing say 30min at the hardest level how do work out what cal am doing

Just had a thought - the display on the bike isn't showing kilojoules instead of calories is it? If my maths is right 1600 kilojoules would be about 382 calories, which sounds much more appropriate... :)
  • hipeeps3010
    hipeeps3010 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi there I found this

Hi there I found this

Just had a thought - the display on the bike isn't showing kilojoules instead of calories is it? If my maths is right 1600 kilojoules would be about 382 calories, which sounds much more appropriate... :)

No it says cal lol I just checked
  • hipeeps3010
    hipeeps3010 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi there I found this

Hi there I found this

There are lots of online calculators you can use. You could even take the MFP burn if you logged it on here, although I usually halve that. No exercise bikes are ever really that accurate for calorie burn unfortunately.

Do u have any sites you could recommend sorry to be a pain
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Hi there I found this

Hi there I found this

No it says cal lol I just checked

IT's British. You actually wank kcal, not what's called "calories" state-side.

I'm betting there's a decimal there you're not seeing. 160.0 calories, totally.