Very difficult to stay motivated

Options
I've been working out since May. I was 186 and now I'm 175. I'm happy with my weight loss and I'm aiming for 160, but it's so hard to stay motivated. Your body works against you. I feel like crap if I'm not at the gym busting my butt doing cardio which forces me to over train. Then I'm exhausted after cardio and go straight to weights which makes me feel worse. And the eating part, hardest lifestyle change. My family is very unhealthy eaters, 90% of food products are junk food or food very high in calories. Literally, my mom orders fast food every night. I'm surrounded by triggers a lot and of course I turn the other way, but I feel awful when my family can enjoy a pizza while I'm eating a salad that taste awful. And also, I see no changes, yeah I've lost weight but I still see my beer gut and fatty chest. Some days I'm very motivated and some days I believe that I'm not making progress and I should stop wasting my time. Any advice?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?
    How many calories are you eating?
    How many days a week do you workout?
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    To be honest, its hard not to feel like a social outcast sometimes because of the eating habits and choices here. I don't know where you live, but I'm in the south and there is temptation all around as well as judgement from people that think you are "going overboard".

The one thing that keeps me going - look around at all those restaurants, bars, or just about any other place and realize that the regular patrons partaking of those types of foods in those quantities will yield a body type similar to theirs. For me, I've worked way too hard for my body and I don't want to look like the typical American. If people can't accept that then I don't need them.

On the other hand, I try to cut loose on occasion. It's all about choices. You can treat yourself to a "good" meal every so often if you are good the other times. The problem that we have in general is that the food people tend to eat at every meal is all wrong. I look at it as restaurants are for celebrations. Fast food is in case your are literally starving to death and nothing else is available! ;-)

Find and learn to enjoy the healthy food that you eat most of the time and then use moderation for the "special" meals. Don't eat a "salad that tastes awful" - find a way to make it good that is still healthy or eat something else. I have a strict rule - I don't eat ANYTHING that I don't LOVE. If I find myself choking something down so I don't waste it, or because it is convenient, or if I am trying to "hit that macro", I stop and put it away or throw it out. My calories are too precious to waste them on something I don't want to eat.

Just relax and don't be so hard on yourself. Realize that this is a LIFE choice, not just something you are doing until you hit your goal.
  • jemhh
    Options
    GauchoMark wrote: »
    To be honest, its hard not to feel like a social outcast sometimes because of the eating habits and choices here. I don't know where you live, but I'm in the south and there is temptation all around as well as judgement from people that think you are "going overboard".

The one thing that keeps me going - look around at all those restaurants, bars, or just about any other place and realize that the regular patrons partaking of those types of foods in those quantities will yield a body type similar to theirs. For me, I've worked way too hard for my body and I don't want to look like the typical American. If people can't accept that then I don't need them.

On the other hand, I try to cut loose on occasion. It's all about choices. You can treat yourself to a "good" meal every so often if you are good the other times. The problem that we have in general is that the food people tend to eat at every meal is all wrong. I look at it as restaurants are for celebrations. Fast food is in case your are literally starving to death and nothing else is available! ;-)

Find and learn to enjoy the healthy food that you eat most of the time and then use moderation for the "special" meals. Don't eat a "salad that tastes awful" - find a way to make it good that is still healthy or eat something else. I have a strict rule - I don't eat ANYTHING that I don't LOVE. If I find myself choking something down so I don't waste it, or because it is convenient, or if I am trying to "hit that macro", I stop and put it away or throw it out. My calories are too precious to waste them on something I don't want to eat.

Just relax and don't be so hard on yourself. Realize that this is a LIFE choice, not just something you are doing until you hit your goal.

I think this is good advice.

I was wondering about your height and calories because, at age 19 and not too far from goal, I am wondering if you can cut yourself a bit more slack than you have been. I'm not saying to stop trying to be fit but you are in the prime spot, age wise and testosterone wise, for muscle building and I'm curious as to whether you would be better served to focus on that rather than fat loss.

Also, I'm not sure what your personal budget is but this is a great time to start doing some cooking for yourself. Or even tell your mom that you'd like to make supper a night or two during the week. I would think that she would be happy for the help (at least I am when my husband cooks, I am not territorial about the kitchen) and you'll be picking up a good life skill. And who knows, maybe you will come up with a meal or two that is healthier for your family and that they really like.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Whenever I feel my motivation running low, I listen to Eye of the Tiger and/or watch a Rocky movie.
  • cristydaisylove
    cristydaisylove Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I recently discovered the following quote and it helps me. "It's a slow process. Don't make it slower by quitting." Good luck. You can do it.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I agree with GauchoMark ... don't eat what tastes awful. There are plenty of healthy choices out there and there is no reason to eat what you do not like. It may take some research of recipes, some trial and error, but it eventually becomes quite easy to whip up some food that tastes good and is healthy. As for the salads, I get tired of them on occasion BUT I still eat one almost every day and just rotate the ingredients. Plus I like colorful salads so I try to pack them chockful of nutrients as there are not a lot of vegetables I can cook that my family will eat. A salad does not necessary mean just lettuce and tomatoes. I make sure my salad resembles a rainbow of colors - purple cabbage, red peppers, spinach, onions, celery, radishes, jalapenos, even squash and sprouts. Plus there are those less common ingredients like nuts and fruit. Add a homemade dressing and it can be quite a yummy enterprise.

As for your family, have you thought about perhaps making some meals every now and then so they have the option of eating healthy with you? There are plenty of healthy versions of fast food favorites. Who knows? Maybe you could get them hooked on a few healthy dishes. I make a version of chicken tenders that my kids love and tacos CAN be on the menu, especially if you use ground turkey or lean ground beef. I make my own taco seasoning now (look on allrecipes website for varieties) and avoid that pre-packaged seasoning crap. My kids prefer that now to restaurant tacos.

I live to eat and enjoy flavors, textures, etc. Be adventurous and experiment ... it could help you with your rut and if you are enjoying the experimenting, you just might intrigue your family enough to have them try too.
  • nanderson2575
    nanderson2575 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7, the ideal weight for my height for a male is at most 160 or less. I consume around 1100 calories average out of my 1500 calorie diet. And I workout about 4-5 times a week
    jemhh wrote: »
    How tall are you?

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Change your goal to 1/2 pound a week. :) Eat a piece of pizza once in a while.
    You are making changes right now that that will continue to help you in the future.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7, the ideal weight for my height for a male is at most 160 or less. I consume around 1100 calories average out of my 1500 calorie diet. And I workout about 4-5 times a week
    How tall are you?

No wonder you feel run down!! Eat more food!

Have like one slice of pizza with your salad. It's fine.

Do less cardio and more strength training.
  • jemhh
    Options
    How tall are you?

Ok. I think that making your goal the top of your range is a good idea. A lot of people automatically aim for the bottom but I think your goal is a good one.

But! You need to eat more! I'm literally double your age and a woman and exercise 5-6 times a week. I maintain at 2450 and lose a pound a week at 2000. There's no reason for you to be eating less than me. You could be much more comfortable while losing and would likely have better workouts if you would eat more. I strongly urge you to do that.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    EAT MORE. You're going to lose too much lean body mass if you keep this up! No reason for you to be eating so little.

Eat half (or more) of your cardio calories, too. Yikes.

I eat what the people around me eat, except I might do a salad with pizza or carrots instead of fries with my burger (unless the fries are worth it).

As for going from cardio to weights: that is hard. I can't imagine doing it on 1100 calories. Can you start doing your cardio at home or on different days? Most people (I think) just warm up on the machines, then hit the weights.
  • Brandyloseit1
    Brandyloseit1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Fitness Pal friends I am very new to this hoping that it will help here is my problem I am 27 years old 213pounds after I've had both my boys which were c-sections the weight will not budge I have tried almost every diet out there I have about cleaned off the Walmart shelf I I am now fasting the reason why is because I do not eat breakfast or lunch I don't really like to eat I do but I don't I'm not a binge eater I'm not a craving type of person I don't eat junk food I don't eat snacks I don't eat chips I don't drink soda that's just me so I drink nothing but water and believe it or not my weight will not budge any advice would really be grateful I do not have friends at all I've really stay to myself I wish I had a social life I wish I had friends but I'm always the one of the bigger ones that are in a group and I do not feel right being around everybody so I kind of curl into my little hole any advice of how to begin had to break a plateau what do I need to do I breed YouTube want stories and now I'm hoping for friends here when did you begin to notice a difference when did you see your stomach going down like I said I am 27 213 pounds and my height about 5/2 to somewhere around that area any help would be great I don't even know how to count the damn calories that's how bad it is so hopefully this app help so I'm hoping for friends here in the end that may have a similar story who may have kids who may have that way that just will not move or just anyone in general who would like be a coach thank you all for listening and I hope this is not in the wrong community group for this thank you all for listening
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,940 Member
    Options
    Hi Fitness Pal friends I am very new to this hoping that it will help here is my problem I am 27 years old 213pounds after I've had both my boys which were c-sections the weight will not budge I have tried almost every diet out there I have about cleaned off the Walmart shelf I I am now fasting the reason why is because I do not eat breakfast or lunch I don't really like to eat I do but I don't I'm not a binge eater I'm not a craving type of person I don't eat junk food I don't eat snacks I don't eat chips I don't drink soda that's just me so I drink nothing but water and believe it or not my weight will not budge any advice would really be grateful I do not have friends at all I've really stay to myself I wish I had a social life I wish I had friends but I'm always the one of the bigger ones that are in a group and I do not feel right being around everybody so I kind of curl into my little hole any advice of how to begin had to break a plateau what do I need to do I breed YouTube want stories and now I'm hoping for friends here when did you begin to notice a difference when did you see your stomach going down like I said I am 27 213 pounds and my height about 5/2 to somewhere around that area any help would be great I don't even know how to count the damn calories that's how bad it is so hopefully this app help so I'm hoping for friends here in the end that may have a similar story who may have kids who may have that way that just will not move or just anyone in general who would like be a coach thank you all for listening and I hope this is not in the wrong community group for this thank you all for listening

Brandy you might prefer to make this post in your very own thread in the getting started forum.

The very first post in this forum has some very interesting links that you should take the time to read!

Take care.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options

No wonder you have no energy!
  • dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I recently discovered the following quote and it helps me. "It's a slow process. Don't make it slower by quitting." Good luck. You can do it.

That I like !!! :wink:
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

That's an awesome quote!

@nanderson2575 You're getting good advice here.

I'd just like to add that you don't need to be eating just salad if you are really hungry. You can spare a few hundred calories to have a piece of pizza or KFC.

The idea here is to maintain habits that will keep you happy AND at a healthy weight for the rest of your life. Everything in moderation; You can eat what you like within your calorie goals. Remember, your MFP calorie goal already allows for weight loss. You don't need to be under it.

Best wishes.
  • nanderson2575
    nanderson2575 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the advice. I broke through my plateau of motivation and my weight. 175 to 172. I kind of use anger as a motivation (being made fun of, girls rejecting me because I wasn't attractive enough, and etc.) That motivation worked but wouldn't recommend it. You feel angry after your workout and won't allow to you to achieve your goal with negative thoughts. Instead, I go by success quotes, I feel much better and not angry. I did hit another plateau with shredding these last 2 pounds but I'll push through it. Again, thank you, the advice helped me out a lot.
  • dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Awesome! !!! :wink:
  • dennshah01
    dennshah01 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    How tall are you?

No wonder you feel run down!! Eat more food!

Have like one slice of pizza with your salad. It's fine.

Do less cardio and more strength training.

======

Also, you may want to consider reversing your workouts. Do strength first, then cardio. You don't want to deplete your energy before you hit the weights.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the advice. I broke through my plateau of motivation and my weight. 175 to 172. I kind of use anger as a motivation (being made fun of, girls rejecting me because I wasn't attractive enough, and etc.) That motivation worked but wouldn't recommend it. You feel angry after your workout and won't allow to you to achieve your goal with negative thoughts. Instead, I go by success quotes, I feel much better and not angry. I did hit another plateau with shredding these last 2 pounds but I'll push through it. Again, thank you, the advice helped me out a lot.

Wow, that's great you found better motivation! Thanks heaps for coming back to tell us how you went. Well done all round!