P is for Protien

Options
furbrat
furbrat Posts: 2 Member
Hey everyone. Ever since I started using this app just over a month ago I've noticed with my food logs that I don't eat enough protien and I'm thinking that is why I haven't progressed in my weight loss journey that much. I'm just curious what are some great ways for me to get more protien in my diet. I have thought about protein powder but I don't know how to use it. Any tips? Thank's! !!

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I don't like protein powder but:
    Beef
    Poultry
    Pork
    Fish
    Beans
    Lentils
    Greek yogurt
    Eggs
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    furbrat wrote: »
    I've noticed with my food logs that I don't eat enough protien
    What is your protein goal (in grams and %), and why?

and I'm thinking that is why I haven't progressed in my weight loss journey that much.
    No. Either you are eating too much (and reducing your deficit), or your expectations are too high, or you don't have enough reliable data points (water weight fluctuations can mask fat loss). Protein is good for satiety and prevents loss of lean body mass, but it does not influence weight directly.
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    My food diary is open. I use PBFIT and Muscle Milk creamy vanilla. You can add me and see the foods I eat.
    Patsy
  • kitkatkarr
    kitkatkarr Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I dont get enough protein so i resulted into drinking protein shakes. I also try to eat eggs and cottage cheese. yumm
  • furbrat
    furbrat Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! !
  • MissAmyx
    MissAmyx Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Beef
    Poultry
    Pork
    Fish
    Beans
    Lentils
    Greek yogurt
    Eggs

Except for the poultry that is like a list of all my least favourite foods...no wonder i struggle to reach my protein %
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I use a protien powder in my coffee every morning, and include some protien dense food with all my meals.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I eat greek yogurt every day and also have protein powder. You can mix protein powder into smoothies, milk, or just water. If you do milk or water get a blender bottle to mix it up really well or you'll get gross chunks of powder in there.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    furbrat wrote: »
    Hey everyone. Ever since I started using this app just over a month ago I've noticed with my food logs that I don't eat enough protien and I'm thinking that is why I haven't progressed in my weight loss journey that much. I'm just curious what are some great ways for me to get more protien in my diet. I have thought about protein powder but I don't know how to use it. Any tips? Thank's! !!

Calories.
    Increased protein on its own (assuming CICO) won't make you lose more weight.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    MissAmyx wrote: »
    Beef
    Poultry
    Pork
    Fish
    Beans
    Lentils
    Greek yogurt
    Eggs

Except for the poultry that is like a list of all my least favorite foods...no wonder i struggle to reach my protein %

Dairy in general is a great source of protein, not just yogurt. Whole or 2% milk, cheese, cream based sauces/soups, even ice cream and butter can help add to your intake. Vegtables like peas and spinach are high protein sources, as are Cashews/Almonds and sesame/sunflower seeds. There are grain options like Quinoa or oatmeal also.

The downside to using some of these "less efficent"/protein dense sources is increased calories to gain the same amount of protein.

@OP - I prefer to get my protein from food sources, not from supplements. Getting adequate protein has nothing to do with weight loss. Its about maintaining muscle mass while you lose, so you don't end up skinny fat, with a slower metabolism.

You still have to practice good CICO discipline, and have a weekly deficit. Watch your sodium intake, which will have a big impact on water retention, and make it seem like you've stopped progressing or actually retrograded.

If you decide to go the supplement route, you can go with an unflavored powder, and use it to add protein to food sources you are already consuming. Many like to mix it into shakes or smoothies with a fruit and/or vegetable juice base. I've seen recipies using it to bake high protein breads and muffins. Here is a link to information/ideas for using it : http://www.carbsmart.com/ranipp.html

The other main option is for a flavored powder, which you typically mix with water or milk, or buy as a pre-mixed shake.

Depending on how much additional protein you are looking to add, you could just try adding a meal replacement shake to your daily intake. They tend to have a decent protein profile, thou they tend to have more overall calories than a protein powder/shake. The trade off is, they tend to be less expensive, and/or have a larger variety of flavor profiles available.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Now I'm singing "C is for Cookie."