Meal prep protein ideas for lunch to take to work

Options
WorkInProgress909
WorkInProgress909 Posts: 271 Member
edited July 2015 in Food and Nutrition
besides chicken.. what other protein do you use for meal prep which would be acceptable to take to work, and how do you prepare it

Replies

• tdr82
    tdr82 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty boring and stick with boiled eggs, tins of flavoured tuna and almonds. I also keep some rice crackers to have with peanut butter.
    I have been meaning though to make my own protein bars as the store ones are pretty expensive for what they are.
  • 10inprogress
    10inprogress Posts: 89 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    To add from what Tdr82 started: edamame, pork chops, lentils, shrimp, smoked salmon. The last two might depend on personal space. Since you don't need to reheat them I personally don't think they give off much of an odor but everyone is different.
  • tdr82
    Options
    To add from what Tdr82 started: edamame, pork chops, lentils, shrimp, smoked salmon. The last two might depend on personal space. Since you don't need to reheat them I personally don't think they give off much of an odor but everyone is different.
    that's true. tuna is always appealing for all.

Edamame though, never thought of that and I love edamame. Thanks
  • tdr82
    Options
    *isn't appealing
  • langgris
    langgris Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the protein ideas - I was wondering the same as my MFP stats show too little protein and too much sugar.

I find the sugar difficult to avoid - no sweets or chocolate but I do like home made fruit cake, muesli bars and all sorts of fresh fruit. Should I be cutting back on this and getting to the suggested target?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    LLNN122 wrote: »
    besides chicken.. what other protein do you use for meal prep which would be acceptable to take to work, and how do you prepare it
    Packed in separate containers
    Lunch 1: ricotta or cottage cheese or yogurt with sliced almonds and a piece of fruit
    Lunch 2: crackers, peanut butter or cheese, piece of fruit
    Lunch 3: cold ham, apple sauce, cut up carrots or broccoli
    Lunch 4: bowl of black bean soup prepared ahead of time, dried apricots
    Lunch 5: can of chic peas, raisins on the side.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    langgris wrote: »
    Thanks all for the protein ideas - I was wondering the same as my MFP stats show too little protein and too much sugar.

I find the sugar difficult to avoid - no sweets or chocolate but I do like home made fruit cake, muesli bars and all sorts of fresh fruit. Should I be cutting back on this and getting to the suggested target?

If you like to cook you can make a cheese tart for more protein:
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/8787/cheeseboard-and-onion-tart

w4o3vrt7xi1s.jpg
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    The other night, I steamed a salmon fillet, let it cool a little, flaked it and mixed it into a honey mustard vinaigrette (1/2 tsp honey, 1 tsp Dijon mustard, 2 tsp white wine vinegar and 1 tbsp olive oil). Ate it cold with a salad for lunch the next day - yummy! Today, I just grabbed some rye crispbreads and cottage cheese, with a few tomatoes and celery sticks. I always have small pots of Greek yogurt with me - I think I get a decent amount of protein most days for lunch. It definitely helps me avoid those afternoon slumps.