Throw away your scale!!!!!!!

Options
daniface
daniface Posts: 338 Member
edited July 2015 in Motivation and Support
28utsacr3qps.jpg
I don't normally post pictures like this but I feel inclined after just finishing round two of 21 day fix. I've been logging all my measurements and I'm happy to report that I've lost a total of 15 inches in two months. In the app where I record my progress, reminds me that since my weight has not changed My BMI is still considered to be "severely obese" a real buzz kill when I'm feeling so proud of all I've accomplished in two short months. Just a reminder to everyone who is on this journey don't listen to your scale listen to the way your pants fit you and the measurements your taking. #bodylove

Replies

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you are happy with your results.

Personally, though, I consider my scale one of the most useful tools I have.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Progress is great, but the scale is important, too.

Some men can be "obese" from muscle alone. Women, without heavy steroids, only can hit "overweight," and even then, they look pretty huge.

Is your belly button circumference less than 35"? Is your waist-hip ratio also less than .8? Is your natural waist less than half your height (34")? If your BF% less than 32? Once you can say "yes" to all those things, you'll be out of the high risk group in non-scale measures.

Logging all my measures, I've lost 13" (but probably close to 15" because I didn't do knees) in the past month. That was VERY little change in my body composition. The scale lets me know how little it was.

You WILL NOT lose weight until you eat a deficit. And you can't recomp to a healthy body fat percentage from your current weight.
  • helenstar2015
    helenstar2015 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Well done you. Finding some solid progress to focus on is so great ☺☺☺ the weight thing will happen if you keep that level of determination going so don't let anyone knock your pride in your achievement. I want to be where you are!! X
  • daniface
    Options
    My point was, the scale is not something to focus on as validation of success and I think too many people rely on the scale as proof of progress.... It's much more encouraging to take photos and measurements. If I had only weighed myself these past two months I would have missed the inches I lost and probably would have thrown the towel in defeat. Do I have more work to do? Sure! I still think BMI is outdated and *kitten* way of measuring health though. My hip to waist ratio is .8
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I needed this reminder today!

My waist is 32", I am within the .6 ratio, yet I am still 42% bf. Sigh.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    edited July 2015
    Options
    daniface wrote: »
    My point was, the scale is not something to focus on as validation of success and I think too many people rely on the scale as proof of progress.... It's much more encouraging to take photos and measurements. If I had only weighed myself these past two months I would have missed the inches I lost and probably would have thrown the towel in defeat. Do I have more work to do? Sure! I still think BMI is outdated and *kitten* way of measuring health though. My hip to waist ratio is .8

Great! Now you're almost below one risk factor and into the normal range there.

What you could have done instead of "throw the towel in" is accurately log your calories. Then you could have gained strength AND lost fat.

BMI is in no way *kitten* for a woman of anything like average build. Only extreme female bodybuilders will tip over into overweight from normal weight while having anything like an athletic body fat percentage.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Eh, scale is more motivational for me than measurements. Nice job on the 15 in though. :)
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Scales are useful tools, without question.

I will echo you on BMI, however. It's complete garbage. If people knew the history behind it, I doubt they'd put much stock in its validity.
  • daniface
    Options
    I don't think you're going to change my mind about BMI being a legit measurement of health,but thanks for your opinion and input though!! Going to keep moving forward with my fitness goals :)
  • MelodySmith511
    MelodySmith511 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success! If the scale isn't working for you, ditch it! As long as you are sticking to your goals & losing inches of fat & not losing muscle, then keep it up!! Way to go!
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    daniface wrote: »
    I'm happy to report that I've lost a total of 15 inches in two months.

That's fantastic!

I'm not going to throw away my scale but honestly I only started using one in April (when I joined MFP). From September 2014 through April this year I relied on body feel and the ever more comically large gap in my pants and belt. I only made two weight measurements in all that time, down at the pool near our home, once in September and once in April just before I bought a scale.

Yes, absolutely body measurements are important. And I'd also agree with you that BMI doesn't tell the good story. I like the term coined by someone -- "over-fat" -- rather than dealing with a somewhat arbitrary delination between obese and overweight.

Meanwhile, I'll keep the scale as it's a handy sanity check that my efforts are working, but I also will keep the tape measure too.
  • Renebry
    Renebry Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Although the number on the scale is important to me, I gotta agree with you on the BMI. It really does depend on the build of the person. Not everyone is gonna naturally have the same muscle tone or distribute fat the same.
  • MitsuShai
    MitsuShai Posts: 151 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I don't even have a scale and I'm not going to buy one! I too would rather focus on my measurements than a number a machine tells me. I just want to be slim is all :)<3

You go girl! You can do it!!
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Some men can be "obese" from muscle alone. Women, without heavy steroids, only can hit "overweight," and even then, they look pretty huge.

Is your belly button circumference less than 35"? Is your waist-hip ratio also less than .8? Is your natural waist less than half your height (34")? If your BF% less than 32? Once you can say "yes" to all those things, you'll be out of the high risk group in non-scale measures.

Logging all my measures, I've lost 13" (but probably close to 15" because I didn't do knees) in the past month. That was VERY little change in my body composition. The scale lets me know how little it was.

You WILL NOT lose weight until you eat a deficit. And you can't recomp to a healthy body fat percentage from your current weight.
    Obese from muscle alone? Not really. The Fat Free Mass Index - which is basically BMI done with just lean body mass - will almost never go above 25 for a drug free lifter. 25 also happens to be just the cut off into overweight, not obese. No drug free person is into the obese category on muscle alone.
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    @daniface. You look very pretty! I'm afraid I need my scale..because I have no way of measuring my weight loss or gain. I feel I look fat even when I get down to the 130's..yet never had the insight to see myself as fat till I had gained over 30 pounds.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

Obese from muscle alone? Not really. The Fat Free Mass Index - which is basically BMI done with just lean body mass - will almost never go above 25 for a drug free lifter. 25 also happens to be just the cut off into overweight, not obese. No drug free person is into the obese category on muscle alone.

Not from muscle alone, but he can be at the very high end of "non-obese" body fat and manage to make it there. So let's see--6' dude with weight of 225 and a FFMI of 25 would have a BF% of 19. So he would JUST edge over into the obese zone but via BMI but would be a healthy body fat. (This is absurdly unlikely but possible!) A bit more reasonable, a FFMI of 23.3% would give him a BF% of 24.5%. So he would just barely be scraping under over-fat with the level of working out that someone who spends about 10 REALLY dedicated hours of week can do.

That's not even POSSIBLE with women. LOL. Just physiologically not possible without massive amounts of steroids. With men, it's very, very distantly possible for some guys in rather contrived and absurd circumstances.

That said, it's fairly easy for guys to be in the "overweight" category with 10%-20% body fat--a nice, healthy kind of range--without drugs. And even without all that much serious training. A moderately athletic guy who does a good amount of lifting but doesn't stay trim gets there. My hubby is short, 5'8". At his biggest, he was 155 with sub-10% BF. Throw on 5, 10lbs of fat, and he'd be overweight and not over-fat.

For women, very, very few in the "overweight" BMI category aren't over-fat. In fact, MOST women at the high end of "healthy" BMI are over-fat. Among women of average build, you have to be in your EARLY 20s to actually have a healthy level of fat at the upper end of the BMI range. BMI is actually absurdly more generous to women than women's actual body composition typically support.
  • kitjos
    kitjos Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your inches lost :-). I've also ditched the scale as I was going on it every day and making myself upset when I saw an increase. I put mine away 3 weeks ago and worked out hard, went to see nurse for post baby check and she weighed me; I had lost 10lbs
  • nishatay
    nishatay Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I partially agree. When I enter my weight alone in a bmi calculator it tells me my bmi is 42%. When I enter my measurements in a bmi calculator it tells me my bmi is 28%. That's a huge difference! I don't weigh myself as often as I use to because I do get discouraged when the numbers don't move. However I need to weigh myself periodically so I can adjust my calories as needed.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Cant say I agree with you. The scale is just one measurement. I prefer to see it in perspective and use a number of ways of measuring, but i found the scale to be motivational and BMI ok for general guidance.

I dislike unbalanced reactions that becayse they dont like one thing they think the dead opposite reaction will work better.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    Options
    nishatay wrote: »
    I partially agree. When I enter my weight alone in a bmi calculator it tells me my bmi is 42%. When I enter my measurements in a bmi calculator it tells me my bmi is 28%. That's a huge difference! I don't weigh myself as often as I use to because I do get discouraged when the numbers don't move. However I need to weigh myself periodically so I can adjust my calories as needed.

You can't enter your weight alone in a BMI calculator. It always depends on height.