beer belly help

Options
wrighty11146
wrighty11146 Posts: 74 Member
edited July 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has tips to really work the gut to reduce beer belly size.

I started working on pushups and that drastically reduced my moob size which was great as I could actually notice the change. I know the stomach is one of the harder areas to shift weight.

Currently im doing a mix of walking/running and im doing a 30 day plank challenge. Up to 60 secs now :D. Just any advise would be much appreciated.

Replies

• ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately is really only down to how much you eat. Set yourself a calorie deficit, accurately weigh what you eat and stick to it. You might be one of the lucky ones where the stomach reduces fairly quickly but it always seems that where we want to lose it most is the last place the fat disappears from
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Carb beer belly is the last to go in my case, it's not so much the exercise as getting rid of the body fat to the point where the belly fat has to go to.

I looked at your diary - do you not eat dinner or just not log it ? You're a bit light on protein if your diary is complete.
  • wrighty11146
    Options
    ive not logged for the last 2 days. but before that its pretty accurate
  • yarwell
    Options
    ok, 24th June was better for sure
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I've found "mummy belly" really difficult. As the weight came off it really did diminish, and I've found a combination of aerobics, zumba and core work (crunches, sit-ups etc. - try the Davina DVDs, they're excellent) has really whittled it down. As others have said, getting the weight off is the main thing though.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Carb belly .. oh yarwell .. you are a one :grin:

You lose weight in the kitchen so fix your diet to drop body fat.

This is the best thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1

• yarwell
    Options
    I don't think I'm alone in switching from beer to spirits and noting a substantial change in the belly for the same alcohol intake.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Pint of Lager - 180 calories
    Shot of Vodka - 97 calories

• wrighty11146
    Options
    yeah I swappedto rum and diet coke for a while, but had no room for Ice in my freezer. just doesn't taste the same. I think after next week im gonna switch to spirits again to try and make things better
  • yarwell
    Options
    yeah, you don't want to be tasting warm aspartame.
  • yarwell
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Pint of Lager - 180 calories
    Shot of Vodka - 97 calories

Data is elusive, " a pint of ale or stout with 5% ABV can contain over 250 calories " according to this

159 from the alcohol, so 100 from the carbs or ~25g carbohydrate (5 g/100ml)

159 from same alcohol in vodka saves 25g of carbs and 100 calories.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Is that a complicated way of saying spirits have fewer calories than lager, beer, ale or stout

'cos we kind of know that
  • yarwell
    Options
    It's also a way of saying there are no carbs in spirits, which we also know.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    which is only relevant if your chosen method of achieving a calorie defecit is low carb / keto of course .. which I know you know that we also know ... chuckles
  • yarwell
    edited July 2015
    Options
    apart from that old "association of central adiposity with elevated blood glucose and triglycerides" thing observed in middle aged men

ETA Who would have thought, people even get paid to do studies on beer belly ...

http://www.nature.com/ejcn/journal/v57/n10/full/1601678a.html
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19550430
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19550430
  • tspencer824
    tspencer824 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Stop drinking beer?

Haha just kidding. Get your diet straightened out. I now live in Southern AL and I am a 30 year transplant from Denver, a "healthy" place. I am still getting my workout and healthy eating on living in this place. I have been going to Gold's down here and notice the same thing. These guys are in there getting jacked, however they have a beer belly!

What is going on here? I believe it is 100%, yes 100% diet!

First look at your calorie intake. Are you eating enough or too little? Use an online tool (like the one on iifym.com) to figure out what you should eat for your goals.

Next look at macros. Are you bringing enough of those to the table to have the chiseled abs? In my professional opinion, I truly believe when you are lifting and working out that your protein macros should be about 1x-1.5x body weight. Fats should come second, and carbs should just fill in the rest. This is keto dieting and it does work and you should look it up!

Also, with keto you get a re-feed day, which is the best but only if you can stay on track. Keeping carbs low throughout the week makes your body pull from fat sources. Give it a try and I bet you will look and feel better.

Some people complain about being very tired/sick at the beginning of keto, however if you push through and don't complain you will make it.

I am off my soap box now. Good luck!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Stop drinking beer?

Haha just kidding. Get your diet straightened out. I now live in Southern AL and I am a 30 year transplant from Denver, a "healthy" place. I am still getting my workout and healthy eating on living in this place. I have been going to Gold's down here and notice the same thing. These guys are in there getting jacked, however they have a beer belly!

First look at your calorie intake. Are you eating enough or too little? Use an online tool (like the one on iifym.com) to figure out what you should eat for your goals.

Next look at macros. Are you bringing enough of those to the table to have the chiseled abs? In my professional opinion, I truly believe when you are lifting and working out that your protein macros should be about 1x-1.5x body weight. Fats should come second, and carbs should just fill in the rest. This is keto dieting and it does work and you should look it up!

Also, with keto you get a re-feed day, which is the best but only if you can stay on track. Keeping carbs low throughout the week makes your body pull from fat sources. Give it a try and I bet you will look and feel better.

Some people complain about being very tired/sick at the beginning of keto, however if you push through and don't complain you will make it.

Those are extremely high numbers for protein and I don't even think keto is that high. Generally, you should be aiming for .8-1g of protein per lb of lean body mass. Outside of that, there is little to no benefit. Second, a calorie deficit is what makes your body burn body fat, not keeping carbs low. Even if carbs are low, but you are in a surplus, you will gain weight.

OP, the bigger thing I would question is why a 25 year old male is eating 800-1000 calories. That will pretty much be a recipe for muscle loss. And if you want to have a lean and tight body, then you definitely want to supply your body with enough calories (especially protein) to help maintain muscle mass and maximize fat mass. Generally, a moderate deficit (500 calories or 20% less than TDEE) and a progressive lifting program will be ideal. And while you can still have beer, it may be beneficial to try to get the majority of your calories from nutrient dense foods first, and then if you have left over, enjoy a drink (mine is margarita).
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    You cannot control where your body adds fat or where it reduces fat. It is genetics.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Stop drinking beer?

Those are extremely high numbers for protein and I don't even think keto is that high. Generally, you should be aiming for .8-1g of protein per lb of lean body mass. Outside of that, there is little to no benefit. Second, a calorie deficit is what makes your body burn body fat, not keeping carbs low. Even if carbs are low, but you are in a surplus, you will gain weight.

OP, the bigger thing I would question is why a 25 year old male is eating 800-1000 calories. That will pretty much be a recipe for muscle loss. And if you want to have a lean and tight body, then you definitely want to supply your body with enough calories (especially protein) to help maintain muscle mass and maximize fat mass. Generally, a moderate deficit (500 calories or 20% less than TDEE) and a progressive lifting program will be ideal. And while you can still have beer, it may be beneficial to try to get the majority of your calories from nutrient dense foods first, and then if you have left over, enjoy a drink (mine is margarita).

I'm with the lemon .. those protein figures are ridiculously high .. there is no supporting evidence that even professional bodybuilders benefit from more than 0.82g protein per lb of bodyweight .. not that any more will be of any issue just that it's not a target to aim for.

I didn't notice the calorie restriction in the OP .. again listen to the lemon he's making sense there