Tell us about the stupid diets you took part in before MFP - We have come a long way baby!

Options
2»

Replies

• DivineLotus
    DivineLotus Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    the lemonade diet... which is not as good as it sounded. I pictured this yummy lemonade and I had to have this revolting maple syrup, lemon juice and cayenne pepper mixture. Gag! Its been 10 years and i still can't look at a bowl of lemons without getting the heebies.

South beach, which i actually like, but anything that restricts me that much will not last for me.

slim fast lol ewww

I once lost a lot of weight exercising and eating 1,000 calories a day, of course it could not be maintained and I gained it back after a few years off the wagon.
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I have previously gone to Weight Watchers, which was very balanced and a healthy way to lose weight. I mostly have counted calories on my own besides that and not gone on strange diets where you eat limited variety of foods. However, when I was a teenager, I did read a diet book and tried a diet that had you eat 3 hard boiled eggs, melba toast, and some vegetable for every meal. I did lose weight but of course got tired of that diet quickly.

70044776.png
  • ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I got about six days into the 7-Day Diet and wanted to kill everyone around me.

In '01 or so DBF and I both tried some kind of speed pills... yeah, great until I didn't take them on the weekends and spent the entire weekends sleeping.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I used Hydroxycut when I was 18 and not even a little fat.
  • irishdancer214
    irishdancer214 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Soopatt wrote: »
    My cousin was heavier and more desperate that me. She had her jaw wired. All she ended up doing was hammering chocolate bars flat to feed them through the gap and liquidizing all the things she ate before and drinking them :(
    That's actually a little freaky...
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    "I was also one of those people that went crazy over the fat-free fad. "FAT MAKES YOU FAT" used to be the slogan. I bought so much Entimens and Snackwells crap and would stuff my face with it because "Woo! Fat free! It's harmless!"

Yeah, my mother was massively into that and influenced my sister and I. I ate so many nasty fat free things over the years and brutalized the chicken and meat I was served by slicing and dicing away the fat (ie, the delicious bits). I also ate mountains of fat free sugary sweets like jelly beans. Some days I would just eat tons of dry bread. Fat free right?

Decent tasting food was so deadly and forbidden that you start to fetishise it :(

• mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Lets see..... when I was a teenager back in the seventies (I wasnt even fat then) I took dexatrim diet pills and these diets candies that were believe it or not called Aids. In the nineties, I did the Phen Phen prescription diet pills. After that I tried the diet where I could never eat after five PM. And although they arent really weird diets, I also tried Atkins, South Beach, and W.W. (twice) Oh, and some other over the counter pill in the nineties, I forget what but I think it started with a M lol.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I did Slim Fast for a while, I thought it was great at first because who doesn't love milkshakes? But I couldn't think about anything apart from food, and I'd have the shakes for breakfast and lunch, then a healthy dinner, and then gorge myself on chocolate in the evenings.

I also used to go to spinning classes wearing a plastic 'sweat vest' under my clothes, the instructor said that it would make us sweat out fat cells or something totally legit like that. I can't deny though, there was something very satisfying about peeling the sweaty plastic of my body after the class.
  • Soopatt
    Options
    I see someone is posting about Slim Fast today on the forums. Despite way more posters suggesting they not do it, surprise, surprise, they are gonna do it anyway. Why, I wonder, when someone is considering a fad diet, do they get so hyper in their thread titles?

Anyone tried Slim Fast??
    Anyone only eat eggs???
    How about dem beach bodies????
    Anyone want to just eat snake skin for a week and cover themselves in scotch tape????? (ok, I made that one up)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    What always strikes me is how people doing these crazy diets always want someone to do it with them "I'm starting the egg diet, who is with me??" "I'm doing a 5 day cleanse, who wants to join??" You never have people start a thread saying "I'm starting a moderate and sensible eating plan which involves working out how much I need to eat to lose a reasonable and sustainable amount of weight over a undetermined period of time, who's wants to do it with me?"
  • Soopatt
    Options
    @Alatariel75 - so true! It is the same impulse that drives people to gather a mob to do other crazy things, when they are happy to do sensible things on their own. Perhaps you feel less crazy when you bring others in on it?

Who wants to grab a torch with me and hunt down Frankenstein's monster?
    Who wants to go looting?

*drifts off for a cup of tea on her own, feeling no need to gather a crowd for support*
  • ireadlabelsdammit
    ireadlabelsdammit Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Grapefruit diet - with my mom, it didn't do much.
    Dexatrim - didn't do much.
    Hydroxycut - lost weight, gave me permanent stretch marks.
    Hydroxycut- a second time 10 yrs later, made me shaky, maybe too much caffeine, stopped after 2 days.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I've tried a bunch of derp before I realized all I had to to was count calories.

-Hydroxycut: had terrible heart palpitations and shakiness
    -Special K diet: so stupid I don't know where to start
    - Slimfast: I don't think I lasted a week

There was another "fat burner" that I tried that I can't remember the name of it. Probably for the best.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options

Okay so I use this currently. Not because I think it'll help with fat loss but it does give me a little extra boost of energy right before I work out. I don't take 2 pills a half hour before each meal, though. Just two right before I workout with my protein shake...every other day.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    I did Slim Fast for a while, I thought it was great at first because who doesn't love milkshakes? But I couldn't think about anything apart from food, and I'd have the shakes for breakfast and lunch, then a healthy dinner, and then gorge myself on chocolate in the evenings.

I also used to go to spinning classes wearing a plastic 'sweat vest' under my clothes, the instructor said that it would make us sweat out fat cells or something totally legit like that. I can't deny though, there was something very satisfying about peeling the sweaty plastic of my body after the class.

LOL Yeah my husband is dead set on thinking the more he sweats, the more he'll lose. He wears 7 layers of clothing while working out, one of which is a sweat suit he got online and a stocking cap. It's like 90 degrees where we work out. I guess he'll finally listen to me when he passes out during a workout.
  • serenity1097
    serenity1097 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I did all the caffeine pills (was sent to the hospital with heart attack symptoms on one of them, can't remember the name), Slimfast, Herbalife, Isagenix...went through a phase in the '90's of basically starving myself, existing on less than 500 calories a day (that didn't last long & the binges after a few days were horrible, LOL).
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I've been thru all of them I think.

Grapefruit and bacon.

In high school I ate a granola bar and drank a can of Tab for breakfast, had a can of Tab for lunch and then ate supper because my mom would have freaked if I didn't eat supper, I lost weight but of course gained it back.

I tried the no carb diet but gave up on it when a banana had me salivating for fresh fruit that wasn't a grapefruit.
    My mother-in-law bought my husband and I some truly revolting diet powders when we were in college, there was a cold strawberry shake and a hot "cream of chicken" soup, oh lord it was so nasty, obviously didn't last too long on that.

I tried Slim Fast but I found out I really need to chew something, I even tried freezing it to trick myself but no go.

I've also been through Weight Watchers several times starting in junior high, way back when you had to eat liver once a week as part of the plan (anyone else remember that?). Liver is the one food I cannot eat. Weight Watchers worked for me everytime but I never was able to get to their magic number of maintenance so I never knew how to keep it off.
  • cosmiqrecovery
    cosmiqrecovery Posts: 171 Member
    Options

GOD same, only i was sixteen and still in high school. shouldn't have even been able to BUY those pills, but no one checks those things. every time i'd splurge on a "good" (read: expensive) product i seemed to get caught and have them confiscated. way to waste your babysitting money.

have i got some horror stories about stackers, though. cheap? yes. easy to digest? no. taste terrible? yes. taste even worse on their way back up because your stomach rejects them? GOD YES.
  • cosmiqrecovery
    cosmiqrecovery Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    What always strikes me is how people doing these crazy diets always want someone to do it with them "I'm starting the egg diet, who is with me??" "I'm doing a 5 day cleanse, who wants to join??" You never have people start a thread saying "I'm starting a moderate and sensible eating plan which involves working out how much I need to eat to lose a reasonable and sustainable amount of weight over a undetermined period of time, who's wants to do it with me?"

people can't seem to engage in self-destructive behavior without dragging other people down with them. thus the pro-ana community became a thing.