My medicine has caused weight gain - how to deal

Options
kirdyq
kirdyq Posts: 165 Member
Mid to late last year I was put on medicine that has caused me to gain 10 pounds. Prior to that, I'd maintained a steady weight for literally years. Even after having 2 kids, my weight went back down to my normal.

I feel like a stuffed sausage in all my clothes. They still fit, but they make me uncomfortable living in my own skin. When I get home from work, it's immediately into my yoga pants.

My doc is on vacation next week, but after that I'm going to have a discussion with him to switch to something else, as I can't stand this any more.

Who here has struggled with this issue? After you stopped medication was it relatively easy to get the weight off? My hubs and I are planning a round of 21 day fix. I'm hoping a couple rounds of that might work miracles for me.

So sad!

Replies

• ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    What's the medication, out of curiousity?
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    When I was put on medication with a side effect of, "Weight gain," my doctor specifically told me that the medication was going to make me feel hungry.... But I wasn't hungry and I had to keep telling myself that. Having a prep talk with myself, saying, "No you're not really hungry," seemed to help me not eat as much on my medication. Keep telling yourself you are not hungry.
  • kirdyq
    Options
    I'm on amitriptyline. It's actually an antidepressant, but I take it because I have severe headaches. For some reason it works for headaches as well.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    If it's fluid retention, you will drop the weight when you stop taking the medication. If the meds increase your appetite, you can start losing today by learning to log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Logging works.
  • kirdyq
    Options
    Yes, you are right. I probably should get on the logging bandwagon. Nothing makes you more aware of your eating habits than having to write every little last thing down.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    kirdyq wrote: »
    Yes, you are right. I probably should get on the logging bandwagon. Nothing makes you more aware of your eating habits than having to write every little last thing down.

I think you've identified the real course of action.

The reality is, it's part the medicine and part you; it's making you feel more hungry, but you're still making the decisions on what and how much to eat. I've been on the medication you're on (I have chronic migraines) and I put on about 10 lbs over 3 months, then took it back off in about the same length of time by logging and exercising. It doesn't change the rules of CICO, just gives you a mental factor to overcome.

Also, my advice would be to steer clear of the 21 day fix. It's title kind of says it all: 21 days; aka so not sustainable. Make real, liveable changes that will have an impact on you and your lifestyle, not a 21 day commitment that is unnecessarily restrictive.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

I just wanted to say that I am impressed with how well you have taken the advice in this thread. There are multiple threads a week that start out with similar posts and then the OPs get mad and insist that it's the medication that caused the weight gain and not their eating habits. You're already ahead at this rate, OP :)
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Steer clear of the 21 day fix. Its title says it all: 21 days; so not sustainable. Make real, liveable changes that will have an impact on you and your lifestyle, not a 21 day commitment that is unnecessarily restrictive.

^This.

You lose weight by eating fewer calories than you burn—period. Following the advice in the Sexypants post worked for me: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    im in the same boat as the OP. all good... just continue fighting the good fight. Beat the odds and move forward.
  • kirdyq
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

I just wanted to say that I am impressed with how well you have taken the advice in this thread. There are multiple threads a week that start out with similar posts and then the OPs get mad and insist that it's the medication that caused the weight gain and not their eating habits. You're already ahead at this rate, OP :)

Haha - yes, I don't usually get too riled up about things. When you come somewhere for advice, and advice is given, what good does getting mad do? That's what you came for in the first place!! ;)

I think since I've been on the medicine I might eat a little bit more than I used to, not a ton, but it does add up. And while I don't eat a lot more than I used to, some of my food choices are likely not the best. When I get these headaches, I feel awful, so I go for foods that will sit well with me. Like, I might have mashed potatoes for a meal, and that is all. Also, I had pretty much cut out soda, but now I might have one a day because sometimes the sugary caffeine seems to keep the headaches at bay. Not good, I know, but when I'm in the thick of it, I'll do anything to feel better. I have a blood clot in one of the main veins in the head that drain blood back from the brain to the heart. It stresses me out.

365andstillalive - does the ami help your migraines? I get migraines maybe once or twice a year - sooo rough! These headaches I get feel like migraines but without the aura that usually preceed mine. Have you continued to keep the weight off while being on the amitriptyline? What is CICO (sorry if I sound dumb here!).
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    What is CICO (sorry if I sound dumb here!).

Calories in, calories out. Meaning you lose weight by eating fewer calories than you burn.

And there are no dumb questions!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I've changed medications before because of weight gain. Remeron helped me gain 40lbs in a month.
    when I changed medications, it came off relatively easily. my current weight issues are unrelated

logging will help you be aware of what you are eating and how much. and it should help. try to eat nutrient dense foods to stay full longer-protein and fiber

exercising also helps me feel fitter and healthier and sometimes distracts me from being hungry
  • melkouas
    melkouas Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    I've changed medications before because of weight gain. Remeron helped me gain 40lbs in a month.
    when I changed medications, it came off relatively easily. my current weight issues are unrelated

logging will help you be aware of what you are eating and how much. and it should help. try to eat nutrient dense foods to stay full longer-protein and fiber

exercising also helps me feel fitter and healthier and sometimes distracts me from being hungry
    Same situation. I'm on Remeron and have gone from 186 to 215 lbs real quick. It's hard when you work out & count calories, but are still not loosing. :( . OP I hope you can find a solution to your situation.