Anyone tried Run, zombies!?

Options
It's an app that has you be a survivor in the zombie apocalypse, and as you run, you pick up supplies and think you run from nukes... But any who. Has any one forked over the $5 to play? Tell me whatcha think.

Replies

• aeplume
    aeplume Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I actually purchased this app back when it was one of those "featured new apps" probably like 2 years ago and was only 0.99 or some crazy low price and I LOVE it. Now that it's been updated several times it is a crap ton more fun.

You're set up in a "season" like a TV show and you progress through the timeline as you do runs. It plays YOUR music on your phone, with like radio intercoms that will chime in over the music as well as with the story narrators. You get awesome zombie sounds as well as helicopters and other sounds that come in over your music. I have mine set to alert me when I pick up supplies as well as the mile marker.

I haven't run at all this summer but this post literally just made me say "damn I should use that today."
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I'm about to migrate onto it. I'm currently is the original zombies5k. I can't wait to move over to the other app. It's got loads more content.
  • ThatMouse
    ThatMouse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I use it and I love it.

The writing is awesome, the characters are fantastic and the story is really cool. I'm very much into RPG games and that kind of thing, so it plays well into that for me. It also makes running a hell of a lot more fun and being chased by zombs is a great way to work in sprint training.

First time I had a scare I bolted down about half a city block in what felt like two seconds flat. I've improved by 5k time by about 5 minutes on adrenaline alone, ha ha!
  • harryrarabrown
    harryrarabrown Posts: 42 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Does it work for running on a treadmill or does it map when you run to pick things up etc?
  • chandelierbee
    chandelierbee Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm about to migrate onto it. I'm currently is the original zombies5k. I can't wait to move over to the other app. It's got loads more content.

There's 2?! What's the other like?
  • Kida_Adeylne
    Kida_Adeylne Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Does it work for running on a treadmill or does it map when you run to pick things up etc?

I've only used the gps, but it does claim to be treadmill compatable. Personally, I don't see why you'd want to use a treadmill - running outside makes it more fun.
  • ucalegon
    ucalegon Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Isn't it called Zombies, Run! ? I've had it for a few years, it's a blast and makes me look forward to running so I can progress through the story and build my base.
  • BrawlerBella
    BrawlerBella Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I think you mean Zombies, Run! app either on iOS or Android. That's the only app I use for my runs. Turn on the zombie chases for more fun. Season 4 just started. @harryrarabrown yes you can use it on road or for me the Dreadmill lol
  • nkendall721
    nkendall721 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's great! good storyline. I even listen to it when I mow the lawn(Of course I turn the chase feature off)
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    LOVE it! Great writing and characters, and the episode where Sam and the doc were geeking out about tabletop RPGs was hilarious!

And it does work with a treadmill, though not as exciting. I don't use it for running, I use it for walking since I'm still not in good enough shape to run. Thinking of getting their C25K app and see if I can work up to running though.
  • ThatMouse
    ThatMouse Posts: 229 Member
    Options

It has an accelerometer (sp?) feature that tracks steps while on a treadmill so it can track when you speed up to avoid a crowd of zombs, so it does work.

But it is best outside - easier to launch into a sprint without tackling the treadmill's dash and it lends itself better to the imagination. I can't run beside the forests near my place when I listen to Z,R! - my imagination runs off with me and I start freaking myself out over the possibility that a zomb might lunge out at me from the trees,
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I absolutely don't like running, but that app sounds like so much fun I might actually consider to start running...
  • Jad31te
    Jad31te Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have both this and The Walk, Very interesting apps, however I am not able to run just yet. Look forward to using Run zombie Run in the future.
  • aeplume
    aeplume Posts: 9 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

But it is best outside - easier to launch into a sprint without tackling the treadmill's dash and it lends itself better to the imagination. I can't run beside the forests near my place when I listen to Z,R! - my imagination runs off with me and I start freaking myself out over the possibility that a zomb might lunge out at me from the trees,

I DO THE SAME THING :lol:
    I thought I had to be the only one getting worried about zoms near the woods lmao too realistic
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Lol I so want to do this
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    Zombies, Run is my favorite app! I have the 5K and the full app. There are 4 seasons worth of stories in the main app now. It's wonderful!

I love to trail run with it...sometimes I get a little spooked when it's really foggy out in the woods and the zombie noises start up! lol
  • ano463s
    ano463s Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I love the zombies, run app. One word of warning... In trying to get it, I almost ended up getting some imitation version. The original is free, named "Zombies, Run!" and has an annual subscription option available that opens up more options (unlock missions faster, alter zombie chase modes, etc). I don't think the 5k version is free at this point, because it's kind of self contained.
  • DarinGettingHawtin2013
    DarinGettingHawtin2013 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have an android - and they have a free version and a C25K $1.99 version... I think I'll try the free one first. But thank you @chandelierbee for even bringing this up - I didn't even know this was a thing! :)
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options

There's 2?! What's the other like?

Sorry about the late reply I had to go to work. It's great. It's a structured workout which is really what I was looking for as I couldn't run at all.
    Now I can I feel I need a different challenge
  • frinkeaa
    frinkeaa Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yup. I used it for quite a while, still do. I absolutely love it. It's a nice system that shows your progress while giving you a great storyline and interesting quests to work on while you run. I got super invested in the characters too. You'll enjoy it for sure. :)