Gym VS. working out at home

Options
124»

Replies

• lauramillat
    lauramillat Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I had a gym membership for two years then I bought a power rack, an oly bar, weight plates and an elliptical. I would never go back to a gym. I love working out at home. No one else's sweaty body on my equipment, no one staring at me like I don't belong, no more fees, no more drives to get to the gym. I can work out naked if I want and often do! :p

This is me exactly! The $ spent is definitely sticker shock at the beginning but when you weigh in gym memberships, gas, TIME, etc... It totally makes sense to me!
  • ThatMouse
    ThatMouse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I don't have enough space to have a home gym at the moment, but I do like the idea of one.

Personally, though, even if I had a home gym, I think I'd prefer a gym membership. I like the atmosphere of a good gym and the wider range of equipment that a larger place can have. But I think if I had the space and resources, I'd set up a home gym with a studio space for yoga/karate, power rack and my own lovely set of weights, gymnastics rings and pull-up bars/gymnastics set up, etc. Ideally, too, a place for a rope climb/aerial silks. If I found an affordable gym that gave me all that plus towel service, though, I'm in for the gym - seeing other people encourages me and I like seeing other folks working hard early in the morning. It makes me optimistic for the rest of the day.
  • mhollender84
    mhollender84 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I go back and forth. I'm getting a gym membership soon because I am limited at home. If you're just starting out I think you should invest in p90x3. That's what I had been doing for about a year just to stay in shape. Its only 30 minutes and then you literally have no excuse to skip it.