Fertility and conception diets

Options
So recently my husband and I have decided that we want to start working on adding to our family. I want to make sure I'm as prepared as possible from the moment of conception though to term. What are some resources you have used (books/articles/sites) that really focus on nutrition from trying to birth.

Thank you for the input!

Replies

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    For conception, we used the everyday method. hehehehe. yeah, i just winged it with both of my pregnancies. I'm not much help.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing I can think of is just to be very proactive with your folic acid. Deficiency has been linked to some birth defects very early in pregnancy, so you should make sure you're getting 400 micrograms daily even while TTC.

Iron can also be important to avoid anemia.

Beyond that, a well rounded diet that isn't cutting too many calories is sufficient.

Best of luck!!
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me to start prenatal vitimans as soon as we started trying, but other than that, I have no advice.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I read What to Eat When You're Expecting..... but I lived on bagels and cream cheese and Ben & Jerry's throughout my pregnancies. As far as conception goes, we got pregnant the same month we started trying....all 3 times. Call me Fertile Myrtle, but that's what happened.

And yes, folic acid is important. Good luck!